Search results

1. Doctor Olds

Marantz 2270

All good advice. The RCA jacks look fine and I tried re-inserting and twisting while operating improperly all to no avail. The Phono 1 & 2 are both weak on the left channel and odds are good both RCA's would not be bad on the same channel. My first impulse would be the selector as I said but...
  2. Doctor Olds

Marantz 2270

Typical story, bought the system while he was in the Army, moved back to his hometown, got a wife kids, dog, cat, ect. and needed the space. Curious thing is I never realized he was an audiophile (my guess is he had a friend that advised him or he just went to the PX and told them he wanted the...
  3. Doctor Olds

Marantz 2270

Just picked up this receiver from it's original owner. It had been sitting in it's original box since the early 80's in his attic. There is no scratchiness in any of the controls and the Aux / tape 1 & 2 inputs all work perfectly. That would be the good news.......now the bad, the Phono 1 & 2...
  4. Doctor Olds

Need advice on Sony TC-377 R/R

The answer was on youtube of all places..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZriFIhSvmA
  5. Doctor Olds

Since many other threads list the exact same problem with these Sony decks it seemed (to me) like someone has figured out what causes this symptom. After disassembling this several times and making sure everything was clean, lubed and free I figured out what the basic problem was. Thank you...
  6. Doctor Olds

Yes it did nothing regarding the hold in play problem. I went in and out in 1/2 turn increments to each limit. I disassembled all the pivots, levers and arms and everything that spins. I cannot figure what they are trying to accomplish with this mechanism. It seems like they over-engineered...
  7. Doctor Olds

So I disassembled the whole control board and found this: Sony originally has a detent spot for the play position then added this plate. The plate does not appear to move and I am now wondering if I took my dremel tool and added a detent position on top the added part if that would help...
  8. Doctor Olds

Thanks for the comments. In the back of my mind I expected the above answers but was hoping for the best. I will disassemble clean and relube all the pivots and moving parts. Doc
  9. Doctor Olds

Yes I have a known good classical concert tape I use. The passages are perfect for identifying tape speed variations (at least as far as the normal ear can hear.)
  10. Doctor Olds

And quoting ShaneR2R on Mick 747's thread...11/30/13.... "since you asked here's some of the issues I had or have with my 377. The play selector will not stay engaged properly. I tried everything to get it right including adjusting and relubing. Apparently I'm wasn't doing something right."
  11. Doctor Olds

I bought a new belt kit and installed it. The unit has low use and had spent the last 30+ years in the original box in the prior owners attic. The heads are perfect and everything that is supposed to spin does so freely (the rubber idler that wedges between the motor and capstan did slip until...
  12. Doctor Olds

Marantz 2270 power cord orientation

I appreciate the input since I do not want to damage this receiver (I will be heading to my shop to cut the ground off the chassis / leaving it on the cord to insure proper power feed to the fused / switched side. I pursued this guy for about 5 years knowing his prize 2270 was in his attic, in...
  13. Doctor Olds

Now I am confused. What would the third wire in the original cord be for if not a chassis ground? Shielding for the cord?
  14. Doctor Olds

I purchased a Marantz 2270 from a gentleman that bought it while in Germany when he was in the Army. When he arrived in the states someone soldered 2 metal extensions on the plug so he could use it here. It works fine but besides looking stupid the extra exposed 110 lugs are dangerous. I...
  15. Doctor Olds

Onkyo CP-1055F Score/Repair

I have one of these I am currently working on. The one I have cycles continuously (click-click-click) and I found a broken contact switch that stops the motor when the returns to rest. (There is a white plastic round drum / cam with the switch which is a pair of brass legs.) It looks like...
  16. Doctor Olds

Dynaco ST 70 "whoop" from both speakers

Thanks to everyone that posted and helped with this thread. Shelly D that did help with my ongoing learning curve. Someday I hope to try and build a small tube amp or two from old mono radio / record player chassis I have saved. I would like to use them as low powered practice amps for my...
  17. Doctor Olds

The 10k pot is now changed and I installed it just like the one I removed. Out of the amp (no load) the old pot tested exactly like the new one 10k to 0 using the left to center and 0 to 10k using the center to right. I brought the amp up to temp and reset the bias (no input or speakers...
  18. Doctor Olds

My previous answer is misleading since I do not actually understand the theory behind biasing the outputs. In my mind I expected two terminals on the Dynaco from 0 - 10K but when I opened the box the replacement had 10k down to 0 then 0 up to 10k terminals. Then I took the amp downstairs to my...
  19. Doctor Olds

One more question....on the pot shown above, do I want to increase the resistance (center terminal to left terminal) to increase bias as I turn the shaft clockwise or reduce resistance (center to right terminal) for clockwise rotation? This is really a minor point since it will allow the bias...
  20. Doctor Olds

Ok so after the depression of having another failure I started looking closer at this problem in an analytical manner. The noise is left track only and the left channel on the other ST-70 is fine. I shut the amp down and swapped the speaker leads and the noise swapped to the other speaker...
  21. Doctor Olds

Hello GordonW I believe you helped with my other ST -70! I believe this amp is basically stock and it has the original board (wifh the orange drops as stated above.) I can post an image when I get home in a couple of hours if you need it. Where and how do I test the power supply caps? I do not...
  22. Doctor Olds

I saw the term "redplating" in another thread I reviewed before posting this. I have no ides what that term means. I have an scope (it is pretty old but it works) so I can get an image of the circuits. My dvom would be the best way to evaluate voltage readings on the affected circuits. I...
  23. Doctor Olds

Here we go again. Now for the problem....the other day one of the ST-70's began to develop a "whoop-whoop" sound which is more pronounced at lower frequencies (comes out of the woofers) and is equal on both channels (it basically sounds like a helicopter is flying over the house.) It occurs...
  24. Doctor Olds

Another Dynaco ST-70 thread

BuzzK Yes by all means please cut it open and let me know how (and if possible why) it failed. Excessive heat (internally or externally?) Crap manufacturing? I installed this CE can on my original ST-70 (owned and used by me for over 20 years) as a preventive measure which appears to have been...
  25. Doctor Olds

Another Dynaco ST-70 thread

BuzzK I will PM you my email address and you can email me your mailing address. I can mail you the failed CE 20/20/20/20 and you can test it (you can compare the test reading you get to operational voltages that were shown as part of the known failure of this can.) Then you can cut it open or...
Back
Top Bottom