Search results

1. Danimal1969

Caps for old tube guitar amp

Thanks for the input. I have definitely noticed a significant lack of axial caps out there. Annoying for sure. where are you guys buying F&T caps from? I need 10uf/300v and 3uf/350v.
  2. Danimal1969

Caps for old tube guitar amp

Man I’ve been out of the loop too long. I picked up an old Univox guitar amp that needs a cap job. Inside are the typical aged out filter caps and oil filled caps. Need to replace them all. Last time I capped a guitar amp, Sprague Atoms were the industry standard for filter caps. And I always...
  3. Danimal1969

4100 brought back to life, recap thoughts and what not

Any chance you have a parts list from Mouser/Digikey for the power supply board caps/resistors?
  4. Danimal1969

4100 brought back to life, recap thoughts and what not

Well this is a timely thread. I also just picked up one of these 4100 receivers. Mine is missing the original wood side pieces and spent some time in a damp environment. I plugged it in and it does seem to function. However several switches are sticky and pots need cleaning. Started doing that...
  5. Danimal1969

SME Anti-Skate Weights?

Man, I just don’t understand SME’s approach. Lol. All the different weights and combinations of weights for different arms and carts. It’s kind of mind numbing. in any case I have two SME arms (a 3009 Improved and a late first gen 3012). I’m finally Getting around to setting up the 3009 but...
  6. Danimal1969

Calling SME Experts: What is this 3012 I Have?

yeah I’ve been staring at that page all summer since I got this. It looks like I have part #9 and the way rod for #6. So I either need #7 and the correct way rod OR weight #6. To make matters worse it’s impossible know what weights are what when you see them on eBay. Lol.
  7. Danimal1969

Calling SME Experts: What is this 3012 I Have?

I am confused. I have this 3012 arm and I don’t know what variant it is. All the sites point to different characteristics but nothing matches this exactly. Obviously it’s a 3012. But it has the plastic knife edge bearing, the early style counterweight system (2 piece and yes, the rear one is...
  8. Danimal1969

Another “Recommend a Cart” thread. This one for a SME 3009

it has the attached headshell. But I will research that some.
  9. Danimal1969

Another “Recommend a Cart” thread. This one for a SME 3009

Hey people. I’m fixing up a table for my boss and it’s down to cartridge selection time. The arm is a 3009 Improved and it’s on a Thorens TD-124. Looking for MM carts as this is not for a super high end setup. It will be running through an older receiver of some sort so I doubt a LOMC would...
  10. Danimal1969

SME 3009 vs. 3012...Who Has Used Both?

Ok, on my Thorens projects I have access to both a 3009 and a 3012. Both have issues and need some work but I’m wanting to know the real pros and cons of each. Aside from the fact that the 3012 looks awkward as Hell on a TD-124 with the arm board hanging off the edge, I’m curious to hear from...
  11. Danimal1969

The Amazing Restoration Thread for TWO Thorens TD-124 Turntables

So I’ve cleaned up a fair bit of the first table and I’m at the point of needing to order some stuff. My current question is about the capacitor. I assume it’s a suppression cap mounted across the switch? It’s rated at .01uf if I read it correctly. Can somebody tell me exactly what type of cap I...
  12. Danimal1969

So let’s talk lubricant. What do you guys use on these? My plan is as follows (unless someone tells me I’m way off) - for anything that spins on a bronze bushing: zoom spout turbine oil - for shafts that aren’t in constant motion: lubriplate grease (it’s super light lithium based, used as a...
  13. Danimal1969

Another question for you guys. How do I remove the speed selector knob? I have the center piece pulled out and the set screw as well. It’s all linked to the metal band pulley below and I know I’m just missing something obvious.
  14. Danimal1969

That’s a good site, thanks! But I’m still confused since it seems both of these here seem to have the “Emporium” pulley but they are different bushing heights. One is just high enough to allow for a plastic cap.
  15. Danimal1969

Well I started tearing into these today. I decided to send the motors out to Jim and leave that task to him. Not that I couldn’t do it myself but since that is the heart of the table I feel it’s worth the few extra bucks to make them right. So they came out first. Then I decided it was time to...
  16. Danimal1969

Wow, yup it sure is. Lol. I hadn’t even noticed. But indeed it is an easy fix.
  17. Danimal1969

It’s missing the weight that goes on the L shaped piece and the weight for the anti skate. Also has a broken arm lock. But I’m guessing that isn’t what you’re talking about. Is the problem I used Bounty paper towels and not a store brand? Lol
  18. Danimal1969

No photos of the arm with paint, but here is the board. This should tell you what it looked like before. Lol. However it cleaned up WAY better than I expected. Only bad things are it’s missing a few parts and the wiring was ruined. But that can be fixed.
  19. Danimal1969

Right?!! Thanks for the insight. I’ll investigate further. The paint on his isn’t as bad as the photos make it look. No idea about the pieces on the platter. I’m sure they can be replaced. His upper platter is warped and I guess it could be straightened or we might consider a different upper...
  20. Danimal1969

Thanks for the info and advice. As for the costs, I have spoken to my boss. He’s ok with spending some cash on it. He knows it’s an investment at some point.
  21. Danimal1969

Ok, now for my table. Note the plinth is his. I just used to for photos. lol. I noticed this table is a much lighter color than his. Just different wear? I have some Specific questions about mine though. I wonder if any of this stuff is just because it’s an EARLY production table. 1 - The main...
  22. Danimal1969

Ok so up first is my bosses table. Some pics of it “assembled”. Nothing unusual compared to others I’ve looked at online in the past week. Paint is kind of almost an olive color now. If you guys see anything noteworthy I would appreciate it. I’m sure I will have a million questions as I work...
Back
Top Bottom