Search results

1. S

Merry Christmas

I'm not that good with words, but here I go: The days are short, The nights too long, And frost is blossoming the windows. Yet hearts are warm And spread the cheer, Remembering the birth of Jesus.
  2. S

Feral Cows? Nobody Is Trying To BBQ Them!

This reminds me of my cousin's father who shot a charging boar with a 7.62 pistol. Two shots right in the forehead and it still tumbled forward the last five meters. It take balls to be a forester around here.
  3. S

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

People who live in the dark and then complain. A lot of my neighbors have blinds on their windows (the kind that are out side and if used they block light completely, don't know the term) and they keep them pulled down all the time and almost never open the windows. God gave us a sun to have...
  4. S

1988, when CD players were built with no cost cutting, a KENWOOD DP-990SG thread

The 880 is a good player but on a step lower than the 990. The transport is made out of stamped steel not cast, the electronics are all on a single pcb, the chasis is thinner etc. It was built to cost less and it shows. I would call the 880 a nice player but not a "tank"
  5. S

Wax candles on your christmas tree?

What a beautiful tree. I used to have candles in my Christmas trees all the time when I was a kid. There was always someone watching it and we never had an accident.
  6. S

Corporate spin - phrases that make your eyes roll

"human resources" It always bugged me. People became just another resource like coal or iron ore.
  7. S

What to do with old love letters

I'd keep them. Memories fade away, yet those letters will always be there. I kept all the letters I received. They are put away in a box. Why destroy something that was written or made from the heart? As time passes lives tend to get dull, void of the feelings that made us hear our own...
  8. S

Magnavox The American console

Isn't it a transformer? By the look of the thing it doesn't seem to have a magnet but an electromagnet. I've seen similar stuff(smaller) in old russian tube tv sets.
  9. S

Am i alone?

I found found my smartphone damn useful because it has all kinds of crap shoved in it. I have a mount for my bike, so I can use it as a gps. Without it i'd often get lost on the hills I cycle on. The internet keeps me from getting bored at times, reading the news or some forums. The email...
  10. S

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Nice one. Noted it in my insult notebook.
  11. S

The Audiokarma Official Steam Engines Magazine

The last time I saw one was in Oberhausen. They rebuilt part of the industrial tracks and used the steam locomotive to carry tourists. What a marvel it was.
  12. S

Pics of your listening space

After many years of slowly adding to the system and improper placement, my main setup received a temporary home in my bedroom. The plan is to move it to the living room and to install a Marantz 22xx series receiver, bookshelves and maybe a TT in the bedroom. For now, these are only dreams...
  13. S

How so solder is so bad for cables and not for whole amplifier curcuits

Don't bother. If high tech, extremely sensitive equipment is using regular copper wires and soldering then there is no need to argue. Show me a human who can "hear" better than an osciloscope and I'll bow to him. Solder may oxidise and provide poor contact as in soldered speaker wires. An old...
  14. S

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Listening to Hamlet on my Pioneer F-757 mk-ii until 10 minutes ago when the whole fm band got overloaded by something and now I hear only buzzing and what seems to be medium baud data transmissions. Tuners. To listen? Or not to listen? That is the question.
  15. S

The 'What's the dumbest self-inflicted injury you ever had' thread

I was working on the rear hubs of my old car and had a hard time pulling the springs for the drum brake in their places. So I replaced the flat head screw driver with some old pliers. One spring went easily into its place, but the other one was stubborn. As I pulled harder the damn thing slipped...
  16. S

A miracle is needed! (bad FM reception)

You guys make me work in the scorching sun:D. So I took the new coax that I have bought (best I could find) and made a second line to the antenna to see how it compares to the old nos stuff that I used. After playing with all the tuners available I couldn't make a difference between the cables...
  17. S

Ok, so yesterday the Pioneer F757-mk2 arrived and today I got the chance to hook it up for a very short time (still working on the house) and what a difference! I messed with the antenna a little, lengthening the mast with about 1.5 meters(we currently have 43 degrees celsius at noon so no...
  18. S

@c.coyle There are no markings printed, on the cable. Here are the pictures. 1.5mm central conductor, transparent sleeve and thick copper mesh shielding. I have another piece used for the tv whick has even thicker shielding, it required 7.2 mm screw connectors. I don't know what the standards...
  19. S

I will buy the piece of cable since I ran out the soviet stuff, but even the more expensive coax looks cheaply built with thinner wires compared to the soviet cable. As soon as the heatwave goes away I will start working on the new mast on the hill. From there I should have better reception...
  20. S

Does the length og the coax matter? Installing the antenna on the hill wil require at least 40 more meters of cable
  21. S

I know I am not using top class gear, but I also don't expect top class performance. I have some rabbit ears somewhere, will try those. Will also try a yagi antenna. If they all fail the only option will be to move the mast on the hill behind the house; the grundig seems to perform great there.
  22. S

I am mad out of ideas, and ready to go slap my grandfather for buying this pos house. He couldn't have possibly bought a worse plot in the whole town. There is highway level traffic two meters away from my windows, a steep hill behind the house that one day will burry half of it and NO fm...
  23. S

A Lonely Hobby...

You guys make me remember my ex. God, do I miss her. She loved music, having a 300+ record collection and many more cd's with great music . I replaced her old Dual record plower with a decent Thorens td 146, taught her how to replace the belt and we would listen to records for hours. She would...
  24. S

Analog and HDMI simultaneously

@orsen I tried the tutorial in the first link. It used to work but now it does nothing. How did you "persuade" vlc to send sound through hdmi while the default playback device is set as analog? Chevolume sounds interesting. Will try it next. Thanks @century tek They are not used together, they...
  25. S

Analog and HDMI simultaneously

For two days I have tried to troubleshoot this problem without success. Gear: win7 pc with AMD Radeon R7 and a xonar essence st sound card a Yamaha as-1000 amp linked to the soundcard through analog a 7.1 yamaha receiver linked to the pc through the graphics card HDMI a 4k Samsung tv linked to...
Back
Top Bottom