Search results

1. Capitol C

AK Enablers

Tom Brennan makes a good point if the reason you have the equipment is to listen to music. If you have the equipment because you collect equipment, that's a different thing. Personally, I'm in it for the music, but to each his own!
  2. Capitol C

"AM Stereo" - The Forgotten, but Perhaps Superior Medium

I believe the channels are 10 khz wide on AM, so AM mono, in addition to being noisier, has less bandwidth than FM. I can't see how AM stereo would be better than FM stereo
  3. Capitol C

Permission to paint Dual 1219 bread-box?

I prefer to leave things original, but if it is solid walnut and you paint it, it can be restored later.
  4. Capitol C

Antennas - the simple solution I discovered after throwing far to many dollars at the problem

You might run both twin lead and coax from your attic to your receiver. It would be an interesting experiment, if nothing else. The coax, plugged into the right input on the receiver and a balun on the antenna end, has the potential for being quieter. I have an old Radio Shack TV/FM room...
  5. Capitol C

No....digital waves are not stairsteps

This is a good video, let me know what you think:
  6. Capitol C

Replacing transistors in a cheap, inline phono preamp

I would leave it alone if it sounds ok, and buy a new unit if it doesn't. Much cheaper and more likely to be right.
  7. Capitol C

Vintage gear vs. new gear (redux)

After seeing the lava lamps, the rest of the video didn't surprise me. "It's a big sound, man! (Sound of deep inhale...)
  8. Capitol C

Who is Absolutely Proud of Their Vintage SS Stereo

New and vintage systems listed below. The major difference in sound is due to the speakers, I know, because I have run both speakers on the new system. I'm not sure about proud, but I am happy with both.
  9. Capitol C

How much to spend on cables?

Use basic RCA cables for everything but speaker cables. Use lamp cord for speaker cables, choosing the gauge based on the length of the speaker cables. A buck a foot for the speaker cables and 10 bucks apiece for RCA cables.. Ballpark a hundred bucks. Divide by the price of your equipment to...
  10. Capitol C

Acoustic Research Model AU Looking for Biasing Advice/Guidance

I think a capacitor will squelch oscillations, although I haven't tried it. I've attached a document from a British company that restores amps that used the old-style RCA hometaxial devices which explains things pretty clearly. I saw the same oscillations in my AR AU after, unfortunately...
  11. Capitol C

Acoustic Research Model AU Looking for Biasing Advice/Guidance

I would use a variac to turn up the power for the first time, then follow the instructions if it goes to full power without high-frequency oscillations. I've seen them on an oscilloscope at around 100kHz, they are bad for the transistors and could be bad for your tweeters. You will almost...
  12. Capitol C

Owl Eyes

Speakers are strangely located and oriented. I wonder how they sound.
  13. Capitol C

AR-3 Used Horizontly on Bookshelf

I think this is the best first position to try. The 3s, like my 3as, do not put the three drivers on a straight line. When used as bookshelf speakers with the AR label on the lower left, the tweeters are on the upper right. That's how I have mine. Saying all this, putting both tweeters on...
  14. Capitol C

Missing Marantz SR9000g push buttons

If all else fails 3D print it, or get a friend to do it.
  15. Capitol C

DAC recommendation for vintage system

Get a Topping D10s. It is cheap and it tests well. Spending a lot more on a DAC is fine, it is your money, but it won't be objectively better.
  16. Capitol C

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

The wonderful thing is that you can buy a much better piece of electronics today for less than $3,799.79.
  17. Capitol C

Audio Saves Me Some Money

I received an assortment that included a lot of higher-voltage caps, and soldered one into the defective board. I hooked up an AC signal from a variac to "AC IN" on the upper left. It took a little work to figure out that I needed a DC voltage on the pins marked "SIN" on the lower right to get...
  18. Capitol C

Turntable Request, what’s the easiest to work on vintage table?

I agree strongly with the AR, a great table. It is also very simple, and thus easy to work on.
  19. Capitol C

I fixed our drier with a little more effort--one of the rollers was defective. A few bucks for the part, but the tear-down and re-assembly took a very long time--it required almost complete disassembly. Fortunately I found a video online for the same model drier, otherwise I think I would have...
  20. Capitol C

It is an expensive education, though!
  21. Capitol C

I went back and forth about buying the board, finally got it because it was relatively cheap. Today I ordered a set of higher-voltage caps to repair the old board and do later repairs as necessary. There is another board in the hood which powers the motor which is much more expensive, if it...
  22. Capitol C

You spotted the weakest link, I believe. I've found that the music I listen too (mostly classical) benefits from the good aspects of digital, so mostly my source is CDs or CDs converted to flac that I've uploaded to the cloud. The turntable is mostly for when I get nostalgic and pull out an...
  23. Capitol C

A while ago the task lights on my kitchen hood started blinking when they were set on high--strangely, only on one side. After determining that the bulbs were good, I found the power supply for the bulbs, and noticed that it contained a dreaded bulging capacitor. I was able to find the entire...
  24. Capitol C

Oscillation on quadraflex reference 650fet r

What is the scale on the time axis? If it is oscillating at 1.57 megahertz, each time unit would be half a microsecond? I'm tempted to say that you are getting positive feedback at that frequency, but it is a pretty high frequency.
  25. Capitol C

Component with the Biggest Impact on the Sound

Here's how a true audiophile decides: Consider two rooms. One costs the average price of a room in a US house, $99,000. (Based on a US average house price of $495,000 and an average number of rooms of about 5. ) The other room has a price of $1,000,000. (Imagine it is in a very expensive...
Back
Top Bottom