Search results

1. S

Pioneer PL-12D vs Dual 505-2 vs Technics SL-D3

I'd go for the Technics. I've had an SL-D1 (fully manual version of the D3) since 1979 and it continues to perform flawlessly to this very day.
  2. S

What is your occupation?

16 years as an engineer in the Canadian Air Force, followed by 21 years at various Defence Contractors. Now a software project manager. SteveH
  3. S

What TT's do you folks have

Currently have: Technics SL-D1 (owned since new in 1979 and used daily) Technics SL-1700 (currently in my son's setup) Thorens TD-166 mk ii Dual CS 616Q ($2 Thrift Store find - used for playing questionable Thrift Store albums) SteveH
  4. S

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

On a bit of an Alan Parsons Project tear this evening. Currently playing 'Eye in the Sky'. SteveH
  5. S

Harman / Kardon system

That's very nice! I like the stand. Is it custom, home made or ? SteveH
  6. S

Technics by Panasonic

Nice setup! I've always liked the looks of that era of Technics stuff. SteveH
  7. S

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Diana Krall "Christmas Songs" - B&W DM110s.
  8. S

Sketches of Spain - Miles Davis SteveH
  9. S

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
  10. S

Pics of your listening space

Just a thought for you - are you sure it's your system? It could be your hearing. I had an almost identical problem. Got a proper hearing test done and found out that my left ear was 1 - 2.5 db down across a chunk of the audio spectrum. Kinda sucks, but now that I've seen the response curve...
  11. S

What was your first real turntable?

Technics SL-D1 (completely manual direct drive). Bought new in 1979 along with a Technics SA-200 receiver and some budget, no-name speakers. Still have the tt. Still use it daily. Best $79 (Cdn) I've ever spent... SteveH
  12. S

Alan Parsons Project "Eve"
  13. S

NAD System - Vintage Total Restoration

Pretty cool restoration! I 'get' the nostalgia thing. I've picked up decidedly mid-fi stuff lately just because of nostalgia. As I said to my wife, "it sounds okay, but I like the looks of it even more. Reminds me of my teenage years..." SteveH
  14. S

What part of the day

Whenever I can! But mostly in the evening - say 1900 to 2300... SteveH
  15. S

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Steve Earle "Copperhead Road" via Rogers cable, through my Rotel RSX-1057 to my ancient B&W DM-110s. SteveH
  16. S

NAD 300 receiver question

That's a really nice looking receiver!!! Don't think I've ever seen a silver faced NAD before. Thought they all came in that industrial looking brownish-blackish color :scratch2: SteveH
  17. S

My first ever vinyl system

I can see the Craftsman and Greene&Greene influences for sure. Well done! SteveH
  18. S

My first ever vinyl system

That equipment stand is gorgeous! :thmbsp: Love the contrasting tones in the wood. Did the design just come out of your head, or did you base it on something else? SteveH
  19. S

FYI Vellum in the Niagara region, Ontario

Thanks. There's a Wallacks about two minutes from my office in Bells Corners. I'll wander in at lunch tomorrow and see what I can find. Haven't had time to even look at my receiver in months anyway,so it's not like I'm in a huge rush :sigh: SteveH
  20. S

Do you remember the first album you bought?

Same here! Bought it new in a "Records on Wheels" in Brockville, Ontario while on summer vacation with my family. I was 14. Still have it, still play it (just the other day, as a matter of fact) :music: SteveH
  21. S

What colour LED's look nicest?

My preference is amber, then green, then red. I really don't like the overuse of blue LEDs on equipment these days. Too bright and harsh to me. I actually attenuated the blue LED on my Rotel RSX-1057 AVR with a few layers of opaque packing tape since it would light up an otherwise darkened...
  22. S

Will you ever buy another receiver?

Doubt I'll ever 'buy' another receiver, although people still seem to want to 'give' them to me! I've pretty much purged the stack, except for a couple of close to BOTL Kenwoods and Technics that I'm keeping for nostalgia reasons (a couple I bought new in the 70's as a teenager, a couple...
  23. S

Will Music Streaming Kill The Music Business For Good?

Haven't read the article yet, but have read this entire thread. As a resident of the rest of the world (i.e. not the U.S.) there is another constraint - MOG, Pandora and other 'decent' streaming services aren't available to us! Would love to try them, but short of setting up a VPN to a server...
  24. S

Any other console geeks?

My Dad's a cabinet maker by profession. When I was a kid, we had this big console in our living room that Dad had built shortly after we moved into our house (that Dad also built) in 1964. In it was an Electrohome integrated tube amp, a Garard changer and speakers which I can't recall the...
  25. S

Core philosophy ...

I first came here as a result of a Google search on an old receiver I had. Liked the atmosphere of the place, so I kept coming back. I don't post all that much (at least, not compared to a lot of people on this site), but I read almost every day. And I learn something new almost every...
Back
Top Bottom