Search results

1. Nikko75

The Official "Build" thread for the WYN Phono,Line,Warp,Headphone Pre amp

The stepped relay solution is appealing; I was looking at a board kit from AMB a while ago. A bit divergent, but are there any conductive plastic potentiometers (or very small dual gang >24 step rotary switches) you might recommend? I’ve been following the v4 progress, great work. Yes, that...
  2. Nikko75

I just bought a couple of those DACT type potentiometers, so after they land they will be analyzed and compared to some carbon types. I have some interest in this, because most times when parts are tested (pot tests seem rare) the results are presented as a bode plot with THD vs a frequency...
  3. Nikko75

I'm not sure what others are using for volume controls, but has anyone tried the generic DACT style stepped attenuators? They seem to be fit in the standard manner as the TT electronics P160 series, Bournes PDB182, Tayda generics and other models. 6-pin 5mm squared pinout, 6mmD x 13.5mmL shaft...
  4. Nikko75

I'm in the parts choosing and face plate design stages, and was just curious when I saw the ringing/hum on your oscilloscope screenshot. No one else had a problem and the shots appeared to depict periodic oscillations, so it piqued my interest. I can only guess as the phono isn't in front of...
  5. Nikko75

Hi Nashou66, Were you able to sort out the cause of the hum?
  6. Nikko75

Ultra high spec. opamp MC/MM phono, warp "elliptic" filter, line, headphone amps.

In the past 20 years, the only time I engaged that member over there was to kindly remind him that we should be helping each other (it's a hobby, not a competition in my view), which garnished no further replies from him. Between false dichotomy and posts that are replete with smug criticism, if...
  7. Nikko75

SACD Player with optical out.

Yes, it was reportedly 24/176.4 coming out of a digital S-PDIF coax output with a SACD playing in the tray. 176.4kHz is the sample rate which Sony’s UBP-X800 / X800M2 use when converting DSD to PCM, as set in the menu for people that use HDMI but don’t have a DSD compatible receiver...
  8. Nikko75

Once a person becomes acquainted with the terminology and technology, it’s not so bad. A few reasons that people pursue playback in this manner: (1) Some people want to play the SACD layer on a SACD disc, which, depending on the album in question, offers an alternative mastering of the...
  9. Nikko75

Yes, and I’m only referring to PCM output, because the player was reading a SACD disc and outputting 24-bit over a non-HDMI output and at an unusually high sample rate while playing SACD. Normally, these devices offer 24/88.2kHz over HDMI as an alternative to DSD if PCM is selected as the...
  10. Nikko75

One of their universal UHD players, (either the X800 or X800M2), was reportedly playing the SACD layer of discs and outputting it as 24/176.4kHz over coax or optical toslink. I was ready to get one to test, but a firmware download update was also reportedly released, and among other things...
  11. Nikko75

They do, but the if the DAC hasn’t got an HDMI input for I2S, then it has to be packed as DOP (DOP64, etc) via the DAC’s toslink or S-PDIF inputs. The DAC has to also be compatible with DOP64, etc. It’s a good idea to pay a bit more and get the de-embedder/extractor box that has DOP and I2S...
  12. Nikko75

Ultra high spec. opamp MC/MM phono, warp "elliptic" filter, line, headphone amps.

It may be the review that pops up first in a search. To the phono stage’s praise, the Pyxi ranked only 7 positions down from the top, placing it far ahead of a stack that included $2000 - $3500 phono stages. Some of the comments over there were ridiculous and their user rating system, which...
  13. Nikko75

This is very exciting and I love the attention to details. Combining MC and MM switching on a single board is great. This is something which has been on my mind for years, and I believe this is the right time (if not the only time) to inquire. Would be worthwhile investigating an effective...
  14. Nikko75

Kenwood KC-208 and KM-208 please help

How did you make out here? Fellow Kenwood owner - I gave a KC-208 pre and KM-208 amplifier to my parents about 14 years ago. There is a quiet buzz that comes and goes on one channel, and given the era I know the solder joints need to be re-flowed. The preamp doesn't remember the last user...
  15. Nikko75

Share your Record Cleaning Machine Experience

I would like to hear from members, regarding their experience with vinyl record cleaning machines. I have been looking online at the following machines listed below, but none are available to test locally, so your experience counts. Some of my vinyl is very clean, but there are also flea market...
  16. Nikko75

NS-1000M L-Pad Resistance?

What I mean is, what people have found was the resistance in series with the tweeter and the resistance in parallel with the tweeter, with the dials turned to the normal position. Midrange also will have a different setting at the normal position than the tweeter, since they need a slightly...
  17. Nikko75

NS-1000M L-Pad Resistance?

Has anyone measured the series/parallel resistance values of the NS-1000M L-pads at their 12-o’clock “normal” positions? I’m amazed that with all the online talk over the years about exotic capacitors, crossover upgrades and restorations, I couldn’t find one mention of the resistance values. I...
  18. Nikko75

Underrated : Nikko TRM-600

Never viewed this thread before, but I chose my username based on an item from this brand. I have one of their receivers and the sound is warm, the bass is deep and powerful, everything sounds great on it. The designers seemed to understand the 70Hz and 10kHz tone control turnover frequencies...
  19. Nikko75

NIKKO 8085 Bias setting HELP!

Hi John, how did you make out with the new pots and biasing?
  20. Nikko75

Yamaha NS woofer shifted magnet video

Is there a recommended type of epoxy for use on the surfaces between the magnet and coated metal, or any that should be avoided?
  21. Nikko75

Lube alternative to Deoxit F100 for carbon potentiometers

Thank you, I wasn't quite as specific as I should have been. The products of interest were Caig DeoxIT F100L and their FaderGrease, but the brand as a whole is unavailable in my region. I've had a tube of translucent Kleen-Flo EZE Slide "synthetic dielectric grease #331" on the shelf, and the...
  22. Nikko75

Lube alternative to Deoxit F100 for carbon potentiometers

Small reboot of this thread. Caig DeoxIT products seem to be unavailable, or at least very hard to find in Canada. Which type of Super Lube silicone, or other lubricant, would be suitable for conductive plastic and carbon track elements that undergo tremendous use over their life?
  23. Nikko75

Yamaha NS-1000 rusty woofer?

It was on the cones, themselves. I must have deleted the picture, but it was severe. In a goog'l image search for "seas driver corrosion" just now, reveals others experienced the same issue.
  24. Nikko75

Obsolete TO-92 Transistors: BC550C/BC560

I bought some "Fairchild" BC550/BC560 from a UK dealer on the 'bay and they were not genuine. The BC550CTA is still available at one of the two big distributors, but 560 appear to be gone. I went with the ONsemi BC546 and BC556 versions, which are otherwise identical except for their higher...
  25. Nikko75

SACD recommendations

The Best Of Fourplay (SACD, 2020 remaster). Great music and quality. Can anyone confirm if this hybrid SACD plays on a regular CDP as well?
Back
Top Bottom