Search results

1. Port Entropy

Fire Sale mystery Altecs

Finished with the cabinets. I did briefly experiment with the tweeters on top of the cabinet. There were some improvements - more of an open sound a bit more clarity, but there were some tradeoffs. I found them a little overly bright and not as coherent sounding. There probably could be...
  2. Port Entropy

Fire Sale mystery Altecs

I have replaced both diaphragms, rebuilt both crossovers, and installed new terminal cups. I have refinished the cabinets, but I'm waiting to put on poly, so these are not in their final destination system yet, but I must say, I'm really enjoying the sound of these. I did some more testing...
  3. Port Entropy

Fire Sale mystery Altecs

The new diaphragms and caps have arrived. I replaced the diaphragm on the broken driver and it seems to be working just fine now. I ran a test on the 416. I got a spectrum analyzer app on my phone and ran pink noise through the 416. I'm sure my phone mic isn't completely accurate, but it...
  4. Port Entropy

Fire Sale mystery Altecs

I wouldn't expect people outside of the KC region to know about Audiomart, but they are a well-respected hi-fi shop and what I have I seen, the speakers they built were quality. These speakers were probably built by Tom Griffeth, who went on to found Griffeth Sound Labs (aka GSL). Again, I...
  5. Port Entropy

Fire Sale mystery Altecs

Oh yes, and I definitely appreciate the suggestions and I am open to hearing more. I just wanted to let it be known that I might not want to do anything too drastic with these, or change the form of the cabinets.
  6. Port Entropy

Fire Sale mystery Altecs

I did learn about the gap between the responses of these two drivers after posting. The 416-8a is rated up to 1600hz by Altec. I couldn't find an official frequency response graph, but I did find this measurement by one individual of the 416-8z. I'm not sure how it might vary from the 8a ...
  7. Port Entropy

Fire Sale mystery Altecs

I went to a literal fire sale/estate clean out sale today. It was a crazy hoarder situation where the house had caught fire. Sitting among the mess and rubble, I happened to find a pair of Altec speakers that seemed to be mostly undamaged, besides a coating of soot. I took them home for a...
  8. Port Entropy

GAS Son of Ampzilla Mods

The examples I am seeing with the original stock caps look different from mine. Gray and black electrolytics and orange ceramics More like this: I haven't seen any that look like mine. But maybe it's just a different production run that I can't find other examples of?
  9. Port Entropy

GAS Son of Ampzilla Mods

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't notice a relay. Sorry, my technical knowledge is extremely limited. I just assumed since there is a little pause and then a click after turning it on before it starts operating, that was a relay at work.
  10. Port Entropy

GAS Son of Ampzilla Mods

Thanks for that info! Yeah, I assumed with the "basic" there wasn't much changed. I was a little surprised that it appears to be completely re-capped. The one thing that doesn't look stock to me (and this is just an assumption) is a cap wired across a resistor (or is it vice-versa?). It's...
  11. Port Entropy

GAS Son of Ampzilla Mods

I have a Son of Ampzilla that has had some mods done. "Son of Basic Mod" Gasworks by Eagle Audio of Boise Idaho. The previous owner couldn't give me the details on the mods and I can't seem to find info online. What is obvious is that a power switch was added and the RCA inputs and internal...
  12. Port Entropy

JBL Homebrew with LE10a and LE20

Thanks for the reply on the cabinet volume! That's what I was wanting to know. I have the replacement surrounds in hand. I will get them re-foamed and spend some time listening to them before deciding on any mods. However, these will probably get pushed down on my list of projects and it...
  13. Port Entropy

Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind. Maybe it doesn't come across in the picture, but these cabinets are rather large and wouldn't fit on a chair or any traditional speaker stand. I was definitely planning on getting them off the ground a bit with some feet or risers. I was kind of thinking...
  14. Port Entropy

I went to an estate sale this morning and saw some homebuilt speaker cabinets. The grills and back panel were not removable, but I could make out what appeared to be a JBL crossover. The asking price was less than the crossovers generally go for, so I decided to grab them. Once I got them...
  15. Port Entropy

I just completed an inventory of all of my cartridges....thoughts?

I'm pretty sure the Premier is the m95 version. Stylus looks just like it. I do have a microscope. Yeah, my bad! After I made my first post, I realized it is just the stylus! I think it may be NOS. It is in the original case and I didn't even pull it out when I was taking inventory. At...
  16. Port Entropy

As for the suggestions for Grado or any other new cart purchase, I think I will stick with the options I have on hand - at least for the time being. A few years back, I was running a Thorens TD-165 MKii with a Grado G1+. It did sound pretty nice, but I found it a little bit dull. That might...
  17. Port Entropy

My M95 JICO is just the elliptical, not HE. I have tried it on a couple other tables and liked it, but I was having issues with the AR-XA setup. Probably user error on my end, but I must have not gotten the alignment right (even though it looked good on a protractor) and was getting inner...
  18. Port Entropy

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. The MA 2002 e has a stylus that looks decent at first glance (I'll try to check it out magnified), so that should be easy enough to test. The 681's don't have styli, so I'll need to order one.
  19. Port Entropy

I recently picked up a group of about a dozen old cartridges (most with no styli) along with my most recent turntable purchase. I thought now would be a good time to inventory all of the carts I have laying around and I would love to get some opinions/feedback on these. Some are common models...
  20. Port Entropy

Kansas City, MO Dyna 70 Crown D150A vintage Sony pre? B&O TT

I did swing by this sale today, but I didn't make it until around noon, so I wasn't expecting to find much. I heard the line started very early and it was a madhouse (no shock). I believe the Sony pre was $75 and the Dynaco was either $300 or $500 (depending on who you ask). The Crown D150A...
  21. Port Entropy

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

I picked up an AR XA last weekend. It seems to be pretty well taken care of. The motor was noisy, but some oil took care of that. It has a Shure M91E cartridge with a Shure Hi-Track stylus that seems to be in good shape. I just did a little bit of cleaning and lubing and it is working very...
  22. Port Entropy

Denon DP-57L (repair/maintenance and general opinions)

I have the chance to pick up a Denon DP-57L and wanted to get some feedback. I have always been attracted to the look of Denon TTs from this period, but have never owned one. My main concern would be potential repairs. I spoke with a tech once about Denon TTs (I can't remember the exact model...
  23. Port Entropy

Heads-up sale thread - EstateSales and such

TT appears to be a Mircacord 40h, although someone put a darker finish on the plinth and the logo plate is missing.
  24. Port Entropy

This must be a scam; Marantz 2275 $275

Ah, I just saw an ad locally on CL for a Sansui 9090db for $325. "Can be double boxxed and ground shipped" I knew it seemed to good to be true.
  25. Port Entropy

Jensen C6856 - Mid-Century Coaxial Speakers

I just tried it, and yeah, it was a pleasant surprise! The bass response did suffer, but overall they seem to have a more open and clean sound. I'm sure they are more placement dependent with the open back, but I don't have much room to experiment with that right now. I think open back with a...
Back
Top Bottom