Search results

1. dewdude

It's Easier To Add The Wiring Before All The Drywall Is Up

So, long story short; living situation in my house changed during pandemic and I decided to just relocate myself to the basement where I had more privacy, my own bathroom...and even my own kitchen. (I mean..I don't want to call it a kitchenette because it's got a full range/stove and fridge...
  2. dewdude

After 24 years my Sansui EQ Died

Woke up this morning to no audio from my system down here in the shack. Nine times out of ten this has been Windows audio device selection...or a bad USB connection on one of the hubs hung off the hubs. Nope. My SE-8 quit. It will usually give me a blip on the spec-an when it's powered up; but...
  3. dewdude

Confession: I Hacked Up My Speaker Repair

Ok all....time to yell at me. Some time in the past I acquired a pair of Ohm Model L. Holy cow do I love these speakers. But then....a problem developed. Rattle. Oh man, I know this sound; its never good. So I pull that heavy thing out of the cabinet and do the usual inspection. The surround...
  4. dewdude

dbx Type-II....In Software!

Hi all, Over the weekend over in the tape thread I posted about DDi Codec, some software that "is pretty much" A Dolby B and C type compander for encoding and decoding. I did it over in the tape thread since Dolby B was far more used on cassettes. But I think dbx is more "general" since...
  5. dewdude

Digitize Cassettes? Have You Seen Software Dolby?

Hi, So this would only be useful information for people who digitize cassettes. But I had a friend send me a reel-to-reel rip to critique as well as give him pointers on how to "clean it up". The tape in question was a 7.5ips original release of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. It sounded...off. I...
  6. dewdude

Do You Digitize Cassettes? Have You Seen Software DolbyNR?

Whoops, I clicked the wrong form! Sorry. I reposted in a more appropriate forum.
  7. dewdude

It Started As A GPS Clock and Now It's A Foobar2000 Display

Hoo...this is an interesting one. Let's start at the beginning: So this is where I started a couple days ago. I've had this Raspberry Pi GPS hat sitting here since I donated my Pi's to the lightning god; but since it's literally just serial data I decided to see what I could do with it on...
  8. dewdude

Arduino Powered Input Relay Board

Hi All, Las year I had to put my Denon PMA-770 back in to service. I was fearing massive repairs as it'd developed quite a few problems before I stuck it on the shelf; but thankfully all those problems ultimately turned out to be two things: speaker relay input switches The speaker relay was...
  9. dewdude

Old Meets New

I've been meaning to post this for a couple weeks...better late than never. I had the opportunity to work on a Wurlitzer 780 "Wagon Wheel" jukebox recently. There was a lot of mechanical and cosmetic work that we had to do. I also had to rebuild the amplifier since it'd hadn't been touched...
  10. dewdude

SMSL SU8

So I gave that Sabaj a chance, and over the weekend I decided that I had to replace it. It's an OK DAC, but there was just this "sound" it has that I believe is just cheap analog stages. But liking the dual DAC approach, I purchased an SMSL SU8 even though I dont need balanced output. After my...
  11. dewdude

Philips 212 vs HK T35C

So..heres the situation. A customer gave me two turntables today; a Philips 212 and HK T35C. My plan was to keep one, sell the other. However my boss has a policy of keeping any tips a customer might give me....so he has laid claim to "the one (I) don't want. This means he gets to keep one and I...
  12. dewdude

Sabaj Da3 - 3 Day Impressions

So I was looking for a cheap emergency replacement DAC for the SMSL that died in the lightning strike. At around $100 the Sabaj fit the bill price wise and did DSD. Initially, I wasnt exactly wild about this thing having an internal headphone amp. Im not driving headphones.... so I feel its...
  13. dewdude

Need New DAC Suggestions

My SMSL M8 did not survive my lightning event. My Denon survived, the tube equipment survived (though it's tubes so I expected that), and both of my hard drives are up and running again. So I need to replace my DAC; but the cost of an M8 off Amazon is a bit too steep for me to take right now...
  14. dewdude

Fisher 800-C: Missing Something From Tuner Section?

Hi Guys, So despite the fact it doesn't say hi-fi repair anywhere in my bosses company...he occasionally picks up a project he thinks we can make a few extra bucks on since I know hi-fi gear. So this latest project is a Fisher 800C we picked up from a customer after he found out we did tube...
  15. dewdude

I'm Probably An Idiot: Plate Voltage Drop With No Input

I'm sure there's there's a perfectly logical explanation....but I'm not an engineer and I have to fix these things at "lowest cost". I had a jukebox amp with an intermittent problem.... thankfully I found the issue after letting it warm up on the bench and then poking things I found where the...
  16. dewdude

The Beginnings Of My Input Relay Board

Hi everyone, I've got a Denon PMA770 that I went back and forth on "thinking out loud" on before getting it in a working condition and just using it. But it has input switch problems. They're bad...they're not easily available...and when one goes out it takes everything. Here is the current...
  17. dewdude

Can speakers get too cold?

Guys...this is weird and mildly car related...but it's a general speaker question. Can speakers get cold enough to not fully work? As I'm sure is old news...the Midwest and most of the country got plunged in to historical cold. I'm in the mid Atlantic....but I gotta admit that 14 degrees (F)...
  18. dewdude

Junkbox line booster

Hi all, So I got my "new" car on the road yesterday and spent some time driving it around with my phone hooked up to the aux input. However this was a problem. The line input isn't very sensitive and my phone doesn't know/care if itsi headphones or a line cable....it severely limits the output...
  19. dewdude

Anyone ever torn apart a Denon PMA770/750?

Hello all, I decided to recap my Denon PMA-770; I'm not sure if it really needs it but at this point I'd feel better if I did that before I put it back in to regular service. One of the problems I was having was the source input switches were starting to go bad...and they were sufficiently...
  20. dewdude

Any good Class A(B) power amp kits?

So...my tube amps have a problem that I've yet to figure out and I am in a self-imposed situation where I can't keep throwing money at them...so I'm going to have to go back to solid state. It's just everything out there either has a ton of digital processing or is Class D. I considered class...
  21. dewdude

Need Temporary Class-D Amp. Suggestions?

So...while I've kept up with what a Class-D/Class-T amp is and the theory...that's as far as it goes. I know I heard the name Tripath pushed around a lot; welcome to the extent of my knowledge. My trusty Motorola tube amps have been acting up over the last two years and they're at a point where...
  22. dewdude

What's The Best Budget DSD DAC These Days?

I not only realized I accidentally posted this to the section above the one I should have (DAC). I found out the problem exists in the PC and not the external hardware. Sorry. It's been a long rough day trying to figure out why my sound was all distorted and out of sync.
  23. dewdude

Emission Impossible

I came back from vacation and turned my amps on for the first time in a little over two weeks. Soon as the B+ came up one of them started making horrible crackling sounds and one of my 6V6s was making a nice little light show. I guess it missed the memo that the fourth was yesterday. So I dug...
  24. dewdude

Sony WH-1000XM2: "Now I've Done It"

This post is really long, if you hadn't already been able to tell; in fact it has to be split in to two posts. If you just want the absolute basic opinion without all the other details I threw in, then jump to the end of the second post. So a couple of weeks ago I picked up a new pair of...
  25. dewdude

When A Simple MixCD Goes Too Far...

While I suppose I'm more of a 90's kid; I was around for the first 7 years of the 80's and remember a time before CDs were everywhere and making mixtapes was an art. In fact for my sixth birthday I wanted a "stereo" with a dual-cassette deck...specifically so I could dub songs to mixtapes. Yes...
Back
Top Bottom