Search results

1. Raphaz

Audioengine W3 vs Wiim devices

I have a vintage receiver wired to a pair of floor standers and a sub for the mains. I want to add a set of powered remote speakers and make them wireless (WiFi not Bluetooth). I’d like to play mains and remotes at the same time. So I basically need a transmitting device attached to the...
  2. Raphaz

Modern substitute for Yamaha R-2000

Is there a modern receiver with WiFi and transmitting abilities that is comparable in sound quality (and possibly looks) to a vintage Yamaha R-2000 (or a CR-2040)? I do have a Wiim Pro Plus that I currently use as a DAC and for streaming - but I’d like to add the ability to wirelessly (ideally...
  3. Raphaz

Compact powered book shelve speakers

I currently run a bunch of Minimus 7 speakers in a large, open space. They serve as secondary speakers and are driven by a vintage R-2000 ( for the mains I use a pair of Q500 plus a 12” Klipsch sub). I’d like to replace the M7s with powered and/or WiFi speakers as I want to go wireless for the...
  4. Raphaz

Wired powered apeakers converted to wireless

Has anyone experience with converting wired, powered speakers to wireless?
  5. Raphaz

Using Wiim Pro Plus timer to trigger other devices

I recently purchased a Wiim Pro+ - so far pretty happy with it. I currently use it as a streamer/DAC. The Wiim’s RCA outs are connected to a vintage receiver. I’d like to use the Wiim’s wake-up/sleep timer but don’t want to have the receiver on all the time - ideally the receiver would turn...
  6. Raphaz

Analogue speakers and WiFi speakers simultaneously

I have a Wiim Pro Plus, with the RCA outs connected to my vintage receiver, playing streaming services like Spotify via WiFi, to my vintage analog system with hardwired speakers. Is there a way I can add a pair of WiFi speakers to this setup and play them wirelessly, simultaneously with the...
  7. Raphaz

Battery-powered WiFi speakers?

Are there any decent wireless WiFi speakers out there - not Bluetooth, and real stereo, as in left/right pairs. Do they all require to be plugged into a power source, or do some come with chargers/batteries? I’m asking because I’m looking to minimize footprint/cables.
  8. Raphaz

DAC/receiver - Bluetooth aptX plus WiFi

Any recommendation for a good DAC that does both, WiFi as well as Bluetooth aptX? Is there such a thing? Or should I not bother with WiFi - is aptX Bluetooth now comparable to WiFi in terms of sound quality (all given a fast, reliable network)? Debating between either adding a DAC between my...
  9. Raphaz

Adding multi-channel, Bluetooth and wireless to an old-school setup.

I was wondering if I could get some advice here. I’m looking to improve my system and add the following capabilities (without sacrificing sound quality): 2 separate stereo channels (pairs) I can control the volume (and ideally eq) independently, but also one master volume Option to add 2 pairs...
  10. Raphaz

Pendant speakers

Does anyone have experiences with pendant speakers in a large, private room? I’m debating if I should consider pendants for my large open loft space, 1100 sqft, wooden floor, brickstone walls, 7ft ceiling, large windows. I don’t care so much about a specific listening spot but more about good...
  11. Raphaz

Vintage plus streaming/Bluetooth

I was wondering how you guys go about mixing modern with vintage gear. I have substantial vinyl and CD collections and at the same time I listen to Spotify a lot, and on occasion to good old radio. My system is in a large, tall open space and I don’t listen from a dedicated “sweet spot” - I...
  12. Raphaz

Yamaha R-2000 — Radio gone silent

The radio of my R-2000 now suddenly doesn’t produce any sound anymore, just a very faint humming. Why all of a sudden? What’s the issue here?
  13. Raphaz

Crackling noise

Hello fellow Audiokarmians, I get crackling, scratching noises, on both channels, on both receivers. It's not constant, just every now and then. It can be dead quiet (when nothing is playing) for half an hour and suddenly, without me touching anything, it goes... "chrrk cr crkck chg chk" a...
  14. Raphaz

Setup and wiring multiple speakers plus subwoofer for two rooms

I have two receivers, two sets of speakers (for different rooms) and one subwoofer hooked up to two receivers. The goal was to be able to adjust loudness and switch the sound on/off independently for each room/speaker set. Gear list below. I’m constantly wondering if I wired everything the...
  15. Raphaz

Vintage w/bluetooth multiroom

I’m a musician and an affectionate vinyl collector. I love vintage stereo gear, for its sound, looks and the hunt for occasionally under-appreciated, affordable gems in the used market. I wanted to hear from AK members how they connect to the wireless, bluetooth, multi-room world. I'm not...
  16. Raphaz

Analogue vs Digital, Vintage vs New, Mono vs Stereo vs Surround…

Hi everyone, This may be a bit of a broad topic. There are so many options out there when it comes to listening gear! I currently struggle a bit to make sound (pun intended) decisions. I’d love to hear how other people go about it, and I’m hoping to learn a thing or two along the way. My...
  17. Raphaz

Technics SL-D3 or SL-Q3

I have the opportunity to buy both, the SL-D3 and the SL-Q3. Both claim to be in decent shape and fully working. I can’t test them. The SL-Q3 (dark) is $150.00 and comes with a new ATN 3601 (1403 + 01) cartridge but has no dust cover. The SL-D3 (dark) is $199 and seems to have the original...
  18. Raphaz

Sansui AU-555 — Hiss

Scored a Sansui AU-555 in somewhat decent cosmetic shape. It had some crackling on some of the volume/balance knobs and some outings. Gave it a nice cleaning/lubing inside and out. Looks like a very solid built machine and, considering the stated 20W/Ch output, has plenty of punch. Sounds very...
  19. Raphaz

Lenco L82 – Repair/upgrades

Hi all, Just got a Lenco L82 (grey version) in decent shape for a good price, even the belt may still be ok. But the hinges are missing and on e one side part of where the hinge was fixed to the dustcover is broken off – see attached pics. Where can I find the hinges and/or how can I fix...
  20. Raphaz

Nakamichi LX-3 – Delayed start, looking for help

Acquired an LX-3 a couple months ago, for $80.00 at a local thrift. Pretty happy with it! Did not miss the third head so far. Sounds fantastic! The only problem: it has a 10-20 sec. delay before it starts playing. That's true when hitting the play button as well as when starting a...
  21. Raphaz

Wiring three pairs of speakers

I try to figure out if the following can be done, and what the best way is to do it: Current setup: - Large open loft space, high ceiling - 150 W PC amp – selectable A, B, C and AB channels (I have the pre/main switched on) - Chanel A: Pair of KEF Q500 @ 8 Ohms & KEF PSW2150 (bi-wired) I'd...
  22. Raphaz

Separate Stereo Phono Preamps – Opinions

Just found an old phono preamp, which I temporarily used with a Thorens TD 115 (into a Revox a78 and a pair of mighty Elacs) years ago (unfortunately I had to give it all away when I moved). It's a simple, small, old Hama PA-005. I don't really need a preamp right now (and I doubt that it...
  23. Raphaz

Ortofon OM – Substitutes

Anybody knows of a good quality substitute for the Ortofon OM-30 or OM-20 stylus? Trying to upgrade the needle that originally came with the Concord Pro S – I'd like to get more detail, wider soundstage, more clarity... (it's for a Technics TT). Any experiences in terms of reliability and...
  24. Raphaz

SL-Q3, swap strobe/pilot

Trying to swap out the strobe light (or whatever it's called – the visual speed-control light under the glassy pyramid) on the Technics SL-Q3. See picture. How do I do that, and how difficult is it (with no experience)? Is it an LED? What products would work? Where to order? Thanks for...
  25. Raphaz

Upgrade from SL-Q3

I'm a happy owner of an SL-Q3 in great shape, but looking to upgrade to a better sounding/looking turntable. I wonder if it's realistic to find a better table for under $200.00 (used or new), or if I should rather consider any upgrades and/or tweaks to improve sound and aesthetics of the SL-Q3...
Back
Top Bottom