Search results

1. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

You could also compare the cheap Allo Volt+D plus 19V brick to the Onkyo A9010, the Onkyo is just a cappuccino cheaper delivered to my doorstep. Onkyo has only twice the poweroutput from discrete class AB Sanken transistors, fully remote controlled, alu/steel cabinet, genuine Nichicon...
  2. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I see Allo Volt+D is only $120 more expensive than the chinese versions, obviously to get to that low price Allo had to use the counterfeit electrolytics again, you can't expect anything else for so little money. Sofar I haven't read that Allo claims them to be Panasonic or Lelon, this time...
  3. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Take a DMM, voltmeter, and measure resistance between subwoofer black speaker inputs, you can also measure to rca shield and to chassis.
  4. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Yes don't use the speakeroutput for signal for a plate amp, even when some think it works ok with their plate-amp, most times it won't work ok. You have signal on both + and - speakeroutputs, unlike your Pioneer/Marantz/APPJ/other amps, - speakeroutput is not ground. Plateamps normally connect...
  5. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

3116/8 is a bridged amp, so you can't put - speaker (or +speaker) wire to ground without protection tripping or damaging amplifier. Most plateamps connect - input to other - inputs and ground.
  6. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

When leds are off it seems to me they also indicate protection is blocking normal function. Did you try playing music for longer time or loud with all these pins low/grounded ? Maybe "off" isn't immediate ?? Or maybe it is "timed" and switch off only occurs when there is no input signal ?
  7. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Haven't tried the enable pin yet, could be my idea of simple switch to gnd is wrong, just remember pin is high by itself and needs to be low (0V) to disable, but like I said, that could be wrong.
  8. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Ground is a important design problem for classD ampboards. Even on the groundplane there are significant voltage differences, created by distance. Remove distance and the ampboard "mostly" sees the audiosource's voltagedifference. Use 3118 instead of 3116 and ground for tpachip is less affected.
  9. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

---YJ3255--- Looking at parts used for inputstage's powersupply a 18V minimum would be enough (TI EVM 14V minimum). But looking at how YJ powers the inputstage, there seems to be a problem: For LM2575HV, a switching 15V regulator, the pcb board silkscreen tells us a 220uH inductor is used, TI...
  10. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

That YJ tpa3255 is two channel, TI EVM is not 2 channel. The YJ LT1083 regulatorboard seems to use Samxon and Samyoung capacitors, I like that better than fake Japanese. Offcourse the Samxon and Samyoung can be fake too, but better looking fakes then :) YJ3255 has very obvious fake Chemicon...
  11. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Just that some report the fake "Sanyo" electrolytics start bulging as soon as power is connected, but maybe the "Sanyo's" are just there for picture and you receive one with good chinese branded electrolytics. Measured ripple (there is a thread somewhere with measurements on this psu) is a...
  12. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Example of audible but not sound related difference: powering up first time gives hardly any pop/crack, powering down is same. (I switch AC, so like (un)plugging power from wall) 4th day powering up give very audible short crack, powering down remains whisper like first time. Power up crack when...
  13. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

My translation of 50asx2 productioncodes, them being produced 5 years ago, might be correct, listening first day, second, third, fourth day. Difference is quite large and to be sure I was not fooling myself, this morning I compared 4th day module with the other unused/unpowered module I have...
  14. N

Icepower 50ASX2 questions

So the little handsoldered volumecontrol/buffer/gainstage is up and running. No additional hiss or noise noticed sofar. My 4R7 resistors on the left were a little larger than footprint I put on pcb, but contact with Vaux wires is now direct, no problem. 50asx2 is more quiet than the tpa...
  15. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

You started reading manuals (I also posted links to both manuals in other thread btw). The dangerous part of pcb should have nothing within 12mm, I believe it states. No wires (conductors) crossing pcb there within 12mm, not above, not below, unless you know that it is made for being close/can...
  16. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Oh I am crazy and with low voltage devices I might use my finger to feel heat, you know see if capacitor impedance might be higher than normal, something like that. In low voltage device that might give me a frightening shock. WITH SMPS I MIGHT NOT SURVIVE THAT SHOCK, lethal voltages on these...
  17. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Set jumper to 230V, or check position befor powering up :) 250ohm should be fine, there is some capacitance some sources might not like, the 100n+cable. (there is a little neobarcode sticker, week 28/29 2012 could be production dates on mine, combined with one Elna production date that could be...
  18. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I don't think so, but don't own a RPI :) I just like to make the buffer and see if I can manage(partly copy/steal) that "myself", objective to work equally well with my SS cdplayers and tube output cdplayers and or tubepreamp, or basicly every other audiosource I own and could connect. Just for...
  19. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

For stereo testing, first, I made small pcb, regulation, extensive filtering, two dual opamps, volume pot, buffer or buffer plus gainstage, soldering fun awaiting when all parts are received. 40mm height, 50mm width Enable-switch-gnd maybe, haven't tried it yet, my intention is on/off
  20. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Check Aliexpress for less convenient way for cables. (photo taken prior to actual connecting ampboard to power, in photo ampboard is still in 115V, fuses and maybe other small parts would blow/burn immediatly if powered like this in EU)
  21. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Yes gbp15 for US shipping seems fair, same gbp15 shipping for 2 boards I think.
  22. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

On evm all analog low voltage circuits are supplied by a switching regulator, just the switching amp 3255 high voltage is fed "directly" by external PSU. You'll always have a switching powersupply, vintage linear external PSU or not. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm5010a-q1.pdf Good and...
  23. N

Critique: Icepower 50asx2 still shows peaking frequencyrespons with higher impedance loads. True, it isn't ideal, but far from uncontrolled simple classD ampboards. 50asx2 with open load, no speaker/resistor connected, so infinite high impedance/load, shows +3dB peaking around 100kHz. For...
  24. N

The cheaply offered module is a SE (single ended) stereo module. Putting the W401 jumper into W400 position creates a BTL (bridge(d) tied load) mono module. The stereo module needs single ended inputsignal, the BTL mono module needs a + and - signal, a balanced or differential source. So most of...
  25. N

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Yes inputimpedance is fully comparable with audiobah tpa3116 ampboard, so like audiobah it can be used without buffer, but when used with passive volume control eg, one would best use a buffer
Back
Top Bottom