Search results

1. S

Sansui G-9700

It might seem that way to you, unfortunately you are wrong. The pair I suggested to you are more than worthy replacements, but by all means, do what you think you need to. There is nothing magic about a G-9700's amplifier, including the output devices, but you and I'm sure others will not be...
  2. S

Sansui G-9700

Nothing special here, use MJ15024/25, readily obtainable, relatively inexpensive and basically indestructible like most of the family of Motorola power transistors. In fact to use anything other than these would be foolish.
  3. S

Speaker storage position to prevent suspension sag?

"I keep hearing different opinions on this" Yupp, I'll bet that's the case around here. "All opinion, few (no) facts".....or is that all audio no attitude? Oh - same thing. Your best bet is to contract out to the Russian space agency as NASA currently does. For a nominal fee you can have...
  4. S

** WARNING ** Hazardous Material inside some vintage speakers - CADMIUM

That is perhaps the most ridiculous and unqualified statement I have ever heard. We are WAY less smart now than we were decades ago. And we get more stupid everyday. Don/t think so?? Search the web for some 8th grade school tests from the 1910's or 20's. You cant get one question right.
  5. S

Proton d-1200 power amp -- mono or not ???

Yes, you can most likely add the switch and circuitry, but the manual may give away part of the story of why it was not installed during manufacture. Too keep it simple, standard bridging of most conventional solid state amps into the same load as single channel operation on paper and with...
  6. S

Who made the best Blank Tape

Wow they really were the best kept secret with only passing mention here in three pages. Tried them all in the day, and there was a clear winner in all four categories, all the same manufacture - too bad you folks don't know. Normal.....HF-S Chrome......UX-Pro Metal........Metal SR...
  7. S

Solder - lead, silver or lead free? What thickness?

As long as you dont plan on eating the solder, or anything that contains lead for that matter, there is absolutely nothing toxic about it at all. There is no substitute for it in certain industrial uses, nor will there ever be. The best paint ever devised and still in use contains it for good...
  8. S

New Sanyo JCX2300KR, and some questions

The wires that look like they were cut and used to go somewhere are not - this is they way they were when the unit was new and are supposed to be by design. They are shield ground wires and by nature are only connected to ground at one end of the wire. They are not the cause of your issue. Most...
  9. S

Advice on Efficient Speakers

I don't think any harm was done by either definition of terms, nor were they condescending - just educational, even though I was aware of the difference, I often use the terms interchangeably and therefore technically incorrectly. Anyway - I have two different pair of Cerwin-Vega's, they play...
  10. S

Advice on Efficient Speakers

Cerwin-Vega's are certainly at or close to the top of the list for efficiency. The older and larger the better.
  11. S

mystery speaker

hmmmm, the cone tweeter is known as a phenolic ring tweeter, it is a cone tweeter. Its the black one on the left side of the image. The horn tweeter is the square one with the orange / red dome in the middle, its on the right. It looks like a cerwin vega tweeter, or very similar to it. Please...
  12. S

That didn't take long!

Ummmmm, anyone thats going to make the mistake he clearly said to pm him. Sounds to me like he is willing and able to help all, perhaps as he stated he just doesnt want to participate in the constant sniping and bashing that happens here all the time.
  13. S

mystery speaker

That horn tweeter is a Cerwin-Vega "dhorm" from their very earliest residential models such as R24, 26 and 211(R)....
  14. S

Cerwin Vega idenity crisis.

Info for those who like or are interested in C-V After lots of research, gathering what I could from folks who actually worked there way back (some which frequent this site) I will explain as best I can. C-V had a fairly unique plan for selling their products from the mid-late 70's on up til...
  15. S

Amplifier 'aging'.

Yep "Bingo" on this answer. Once You indicated that the diode shorted most bets were off. Why did just one channel's IC fail?.....Luck. Do solid state components get old? Sure. But history has shown again and again that time is not their enemy - heat is, and given that, we dont know how...
  16. S

Phillips receivers

Here ya go Brian, not only did they make them, and I have one, but how about the real Sasquatch.........New In Box!!!
  17. S

Power outlet strips for your vintage system..

I live in thunderstorm country, I use the cheapest strips I can find. ($5) When a storm comes or is predicted, I unplug them from the wall outlet. Considerably less than $259 and never fails. Spend on brother, you aren't as well protected as I!
  18. S

I give you . . . Pink Floyd 'The Wall'

"by the way,which one's Pink?" Very nice
  19. S

Cerwin Vega 211R - repair or econowave?

I love my 211's (not "R"s). Would not trade them for anything else. Refoam them and replace the crossover caps (that wont cost too much) and see what you have. Its always love hate with CV on this forum. Put me in the Love column with no shame.
  20. S

Speaker question about spl xmax and sensitivity.

Based on a wild guess about how you are referring to these terms, I dont think you are thinking about them correctly. Xmax is simply the mechanical excursion limit of the motor assembly/cone. Max SPL is a calculation based on mechanical and electrical power handling limits (Xmax does...
  21. S

In 30 years, have there been any real advancements in SS amp circuitry?

Wow, This sight should be re-named audio tangent. Or perhaps audio don't read what the OP'er is asking. He said he was aware of class D, yet several posters claimed it was an advancement in circuitry....wasn't his question. He asked about circuitry - yet several posts lauded modern...
  22. S

Why amplifier does not typically have ground component in the power chord

This is certainly the most informative post on the thread. Two notes of meaningless detail -- 1. Yes, in effect two 120 volt circuits feed your house's main panel. The reason for this is that the transformer on the pole is actually center tapped - the center tap is neutral and does get...
  23. S

Top 3 receivers of all time

Sanyo JCX-2900K Philips 22AH787/44 Fisher 500 series
  24. S

Adding Pre out/Amp in

Here's a simple rule regardless of how technical or non technical you are -- Its OK to split any low level output to drive multiple input sources, but NEVER "Y" two outputs to combine and drive a single input. Even low level higher impedance outputs.
  25. S

Anyone ever seen these Cerwin Vega speakers....???

I've never seen them or looked at the brochure which can be found various places on the www but my first guess would be the model 2000-15. I dont think those were made in the 70's however. Here is what I do know ---no other "mainstream" manufacturer had the amount of undocumented, unseen...
Back
Top Bottom