Search results

1. F

New house, living room setup!

How uncluttered. Quite a difference from the old place!
  2. F

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Weeping, weeping....
  3. F

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I found a single one at a Salvation Army a couple of years ago. Maybe we could get our lonely speakers together.
  4. F

Best "value" vintage receiver to buy today

And I paid WAY under that for my CR-2020 at a vintage stereo shop not all that long ago. Most Yamaha equipment is much much cheaper than the equivalent Marantz unit. Someone else earlier on this thread reported getting one for $100. Unless my math is much worse than I thought, that puts it...
  5. F

True. And if you measure quality for the money by how much something weighs, a large boat anchor would be a fabulous audio bargain even if the only sound it makes is a loud thump when you drop it. If rarity is the criterion, then my childhood home made crystal set which had a production run of 1...
  6. F

There are several words that I never associate with "good value" in the same sentence. They include "Marantz" and "Sansui". I'd also throw in big Pioneer gear and rarer flagship monster receivers like the Yamaha CR-3020, which goes for 2-3 times the price of the similar 2020. The real value now...
  7. F

Recapping. Now I'm a believer.

I'll put the Monkees on today's play list!
  8. F

I've always been a "if the caps aren't swollen or leaking, leave them alone" kind of guy and read lots of accounts of recappings not making much improvement. I did have more than the caps changed out, although not as radical an overhaul as you describe. All I can say is that what was done to the...
  9. F

A couple of years ago, I found a Yamaha CA-1010 at a thrift store. Being a Yammie fan I was aware of it's good reputation. After locating a replacement for a broken output board, I ran it for a while. It was fine, but not really outstanding in relation to other old Yamaha gear I've owned...
  10. F

Best value of the Marantz 22xx receivers?

The best value Marantz receiver is a Sherwood.
  11. F

Underdogs - Undervalued Vintage Receivers

I have had good luck with Sherwood, like many here. And a monster Yamaha receiver like the CR-2020 goes for less than half of what big Pioneer, Marantzes and Sansuis go for, and are drop-dead gorgeous to boot. But the biggest bargains and bang for the buck comes from mid-range (around 50 watts...
  12. F

Your Favorite Middle-Range Receivers/Int Amps

All these fans of the Sony TA-1130 are breaking my heart, as my gorgeous-looking example lacks a transformer and is no more musical than a door stop. I'd nominate the Sony TA-N86b and TA-E86b as perhaps my best sounding amp/preamp combo. I am also fond of the Braun Regie CEV 520 receiver, which...
  13. F

All in one units-Receiver/turntable/tape- Please post it if you have one

It seems like the big quality dividing line with these units is between those who combine receiver/turntable and those combining receiver/turntable/tape, with the former being of better quality. I very nearly plunked down my cash on what seemed to be a couple of the forner - one by Altec and...
  14. F

Coronavirus and our hobby

ReactiveLoad, the "virtue signaling" here began with you asserting your superiority in going out over those "cowering at home". Your complaining about virtue signaling sounds a bit like the kid who killed his parents and then asked the court for mercy because he was an orphan. And I suggest that...
  15. F

Scroes You Passed on Because Quarantine?

I don't know what is more likely to kill me - the coronavirus, or reading about all these great deals people have had to pass up!
  16. F

Vintage Hitachi speakers - question.

I share your fondness for less popular brands like Hitachi. My advice is to broaden your search in terms of brands. I found a set of JVC SX3 speakers. Their styling is goofy, but I was impressed by the heavy construction. When I hooked them up, I was wowed by their performance. I later...
  17. F

Coronavirus and our hobby

Add to this the suffering of the least advantaged. Street people who have no place in which to shelter. The elderly (2 just died of this in a nursing home a couple of blocks from me). Those already dealing with chronic health issues, food insecurity, etc. Victims of spousal abuse now with no...
  18. F

What's the first piece of audio equipment you ever saved up for, or are saving for?

I saved up for an AR amp, AR XA turntable, and Dynaco A25 speakers (I couldn't afford AR speakers). That was in 1972. Wish that I had held on to that system.
  19. F

Really cute little vintage amps- show us what you've got.

Yamaha RX-E600. Perhaps not as powerful as its claimed 40 watts, but a nice receiver with typical Yammie sound.
  20. F

Hitachi HA-M1 Mk II, with FT-M1 Mk II tuner.
  21. F

Denon UDRA-M10 on a UDCM-M10 CD changer. 40 watts per side. Out of rotation right now, but one of my favourite pieces of gear. Amazing sound from such a small package. Also, surprisingly heavy for its size.
Back
Top Bottom