Search results

1. Stink Bear

tuner / Receiver displays

I'm quite surprised no one besides me said anything about Sansui. I had a 2000A, I wasn't crazy about the display. I sure like the Eight Deluxe display though. Thanks everyone for the input.
  2. Stink Bear

I replaced some lights in a Luxman R-1040 for a friend. I do remember thinking the cabinet was pretty nice. I think I liked the display in daylight, but the lighting was pretty dim, and considerably brighter on the sides than in the middle, IIRC. I had to look up the Pioneers you mentioned...
  3. Stink Bear

I'm sitting here looking at displays from some vintage units and considering which are the most pleasing displays. I should start reducing the inventory, and I'm thinking about what can go, a nice display is one consideration. I have in my view: Pioneer SX-939 Sansui Eight Deluxe...
  4. Stink Bear

SX-990, No FM, no signal meter indication

I purchased an FM front end unit and an FM IF unit from someone parting out a receiver. Is the alignment for the tuner? It seems to me that if I replace the front end unit and the IF unit with components that came out of the same receiver, that the alignment should be pretty close. Is that...
  5. Stink Bear

SX-990, No FM, no signal meter indication

FM just suddenly stopped working on this unit. I've read through other posts with similar issues, I plan to clean switches. Because it was working and then suddenly stopped, I doubt that it's switches. I'm just getting started on this. I checked voltages at the IF amplifiers, they are within 1...
  6. Stink Bear

Bad new transistors

Sounds like almost every company I've worked for.......................................
  7. Stink Bear

Bad new transistors

I have the DCA55 now, I guess testing before I installed may or may not have helped me. Good to know that a transistor testing good is not a guarantee that it is good.
  8. Stink Bear

Bad new transistors

Did you test with a transistor tester, or a multimeter?
  9. Stink Bear

Bad new transistors

Mouser
  10. Stink Bear

Bad new transistors

I'm curious about how often techs find new transistors that are bad, and if they test before installing. I recently finished a repair on an integrated amp, I replaced all transistors on the power amp board. One was either bad going in, or went bad shortly after. I don't think I did anything to...
  11. Stink Bear

KA-3500 - trying to find short.............again.............or still.

Qe9 was bad. I pulled it and tested it with my transistor tester. Also pulled Qe13 and tested it, it was good. Fortunately, I ordered 2 extra transistors of the type for Qe9. I found the extras, tested one, and put it in. I powered up on a DBT, and the voltage at Re19 then matched the voltage at...
  12. Stink Bear

I appreciate the input and I will try those things unless the following information changes your thoughts and directions. Hopefully I will get time to work on it again tonight. This morning I checked some resistances of components in circuit. Re27 = 1.8k ohms. Ce17 = no capacitance reading, but...
  13. Stink Bear

mbz, thank you for the help. Qe7 emitter (checked at Re19) is -.025 to -.030v, not fluctuating as much as last time. I don't recall if I had a load on it when I was taking readings last time, tonight there is no input and no load. Qe8 emitter is +1.13v. I know that the Qe7 emitter should be a...
  14. Stink Bear

I cleaned all switches and pots last night, no change. I also removed the amp board well enough to get good access to it, inspected it with a magnifying glass, and touched up numerous solder joints, still no change. Then I hooked up my laptop to the aux input and played a 500 hz tone, I started...
  15. Stink Bear

Anyone know of car stereo repair groups / pages.

I've been an aircraft mechanic for 40 years, so no, definitely not mechanically minded.:jump: Sounds like it's worth a shot. I'll give it a try. Thank you.
  16. Stink Bear

Thanks. I would be happy just to have FM. There is no good place to put speakers, and there is a lot of road noise inside. I've looked on ebay, I haven't found anything I liked for a price I'm willing to pay. It astounds me what people ask for untested or non-working units. I would like...
  17. Stink Bear

I'm sorry for not answering earlier. I'm not sure why, but apparently I didn't get any notifications of replies. I have the truck pictured, it has an AM radio in it. I got a stereo for it out of a salvage yard, it worked with very low volume when I first got it. I tried cleaning it, and now the...
  18. Stink Bear

Thanks. I guess the first thing on my list will be cleaning switches and pots. I think regardless of the outcome, at some point I will pull the board and make sure my solder joints are good. As a mechanic, experience has taught me that you're way ahead to take the time to do good preventive...
  19. Stink Bear

I picked up a scope not too long ago, but I will have to re-educate myself on how to use it. I got a little exposure to scopes in tech school 40 years ago, I don't recall having used one since. I will put that on my list of things to do. Something that may indicate a problem with a switch is...
  20. Stink Bear

Thanks. I'm very glad I found the short, also disappointed that I made an assumption about another post that gave substitute part numbers, and didn't verify. I installed the output transistors in the wrong places. It really cost me. I'll try not to make that mistake again. I've played with the...
  21. Stink Bear

I finally managed to fix the short, then found an open and fixed that. The right channel is clear as a bell, the left channel is kind of scratchy and garbled. After all the time I've put into trying to fix the short, I'll enjoy the victory for a little bit.
  22. Stink Bear

I put in some time on this amp again this evening, it's been kicking my butt on and off for years. I tried taking a different approach this time. It seems I can leave the unit on indefinitely as long as it's on a dim bulb tester, so I started checking voltage at different points. I start seeing...
  23. Stink Bear

Hello, I've got an older car stereo that I would like to repair, but will need help. Audiokarma has been a great resource in fixing home stereo gear. I am hoping someone could point me to a resource for car stereo gear. Thank you.
  24. Stink Bear

Kenwood KA-3500

Hello, I've been working on this KA-3500 off and on for years, mostly trying to find a short. I tried a new tactic tonight, I'm hoping someone who understands circuits much better than I do can help interpret the findings. I attached 30 VAC to the power plug, powered on the unit, and started...
  25. Stink Bear

Poor sound quality from phone or tablet through receiver

Thanks, I just tried it and it worked. Easier to use the tablet off the front.
Back
Top Bottom