Search results

1. D

BIC Beam Box

Sadly, mine came with the box but not with documentation.
  2. D

terrible audio experience

I think the most immediate concern is that the stylus is likely so worn that one pass on a record may do it serious damage. Apart from that, a crappy tt/changer won't do any harm to the vinyl. What's a little wow, flutter and rumble among friends, anyway? Depending on what cartridge is in it...
  3. D

60's Electric

That was part of the method, but when pulling on the string, the shaft wouldn't pull straight into and through the hole. I think I ended up crimping - maybe even soldering- a piece of copper wire between the slots in the shaft so the pull was centered. That enabled me to pull it straight...
  4. D

60's Electric

Saying "those guitars had been in pieces" doesn't even come close to describing how they were. They were completely disassembled; not one screw remaining to be removed, not even those holding the logo in place, or the tuners. What I can't understand is why one would do it, unless planning to...
  5. D

How old were you when..(your first system)

I was 15, had just sold my small coin collection and bought an Altec 604B in a cab for $60 and it came with a Garrard changer. Groan. I got a Rek-O-Kut turntable and a grado arm and cartridge right away. Next was a Scott LK72 kit and I was off and running. I guess I had good instincts even...
  6. D

60's Electric

Wow! So many guitars, so little time.
  7. D

60's Electric

I should have been thinking better. I used to work for a depratment store that sold Crucianelli (the maker) guitars. Same as VOX. Pretty decent stuff, and cheap.. The neck on the one in the pic actually is pretty good, now that I straightened it with the truss rod that actually worked. \...
  8. D

60's Electric

"Stencil line" ?? New term to me. Can you help me out with it? Hotrodding...am I to assume their value lies in what you can make of them and not what they are? I was going to lengths to keep them original, tho I must admit that keeping the old, worn, crappy gears was going to be a...
  9. D

60's Electric

Here are two pics, one showing off an Altec 511B/802-D on top of a 7.25 cu ft box with an ALtec 416 in it. I can take other pix if anyone interested.
  10. D

60's Electric

Thatch gave me this guitar -- in pieces; completely disassembled, did I say "completely", even down to the logo on the peg head. Now, some time later it is pretty much back together. I am waiting on a bridge piece - essentially a set-screw rod collar -metric, that I know I could have bought...
  11. D

Sonic T 1.5 volts rechargeable aa battery

I bought a bunch of Energizer Titanium AA 2400's at www.amondotech.com. They charge up to 1.42 v.
  12. D

Computer keyboard key replacement

I found keys that look like the real deal at DigiKey, for $.78 each. I bought enough to beat the mininum order surcharge. Replacing them should be a piece of cake.
  13. D

Not to worry. I made very certain to take no chance about shorting anything out. Since my last reply I have gotten a few more keys back into service. Not 100%, but those who don't like the way they work can use their own pc. Testing the F keys poses a problem tho, as I can't tell whether some...
  14. D

Pursuant to a credible article in a computer advice column, I ran it through the dishwasher - no soap, no heat, and that helped some and worsened some. Then I popped the keys and cleaned with a RS spray electrical cleaner. That didn't really help, and it left a residue. So, back in the...
  15. D

I've got a Northgate Ultra F2 keyboard with some bad keys that I would really like to replace so I can keep using it. I understand ALPS makes such, but I haven't been able to find any of them, or anything else. Any leads. I suppose my fallback postiion would be to go to the dump and...
  16. D

SCOTT amp switch

I have a Scott 260B stereo amp. It powers on/off by means of a switch piggy-backed onto the volume/loudness pot. I am looking for a replacement, preferably an exact one, so that I won't have to replace the entire assembly. Any leads? I looked at Mouser.com but didn't see anything.
  17. D

antiskating

I have a particular record that has a tendency to skip. I adjust the anti skating until it plays correctly, neither skipping forward or getting stuck in a groove. This tells me the stylus is sitting mor or less properly in the groove. Once set , I leave it like that, unless/until another...
  18. D

pre -out/main-in jumpers

FWIW, I have a YAM with out/in, and it came with what could almost be romex staples - u-shaped 12 gauge or so solid wire jumpers. I can't imagine that more is necessary, given that capacitance, resistance and inductance can hardly be a consideration in an inch long piece of metal. Then again, YRMV.
  19. D

Audio cables for component video??

Would I be making a mistake to use, lets say. RS FUSION audio cables for component video hookup?
  20. D

Dampening Oil

I'm thinking it might be nothing more than glycerin.
  21. D

What will LP cleaning do for the the SOUND?

FWIW, some years ago I bought two products from a high end audio outfit whose name escapes me; I might be able to find it on the containers when I get home and will look if anyone is interested. One was a concentrate you mix 1/2 oz with a pint of water and mist the vinyl. It truly eliminates...
  22. D

Question on the little ohm switch.

all of the above plus, impedance mismatches eat up power. I believe hooking up 8 ohm speaker to 4 ohm amplifier will result in a 45% power loss.
  23. D

Something Good at Radio Shack? Fusion Cables??

Actually, the one pair I put into service were a pretty comfortable fit. In fact, I crimped the ends into my SST70s, as they holler pretty loud when an input disconnects.
  24. D

Hmm............that explains why these are being sold all over EBay for about 1/4 retail. It seems different sellers have different offerings, usually only a couple or three different types each. At least three of the sellers are in the Ft. Worth area, which I think is where RS is...
  25. D

Thanks to this board and this thread, I learned about Fusion patch cords and bought several 3 and 6 foot audio pairs on Ebay, for $7.95 and $11.95, respectively. Shipping was to be $4.95 each, but I got all seven shipped for $12. Great seller. I went to RS and was astonished at what they cost.
Back
Top Bottom