Search results

1. topcat84

Sony TC-756 R2R Question

Hi Guys! For some reason after the tape I’m listening to reaches the end and runs out, the arm that initiates stopping the reels by dropping down refuses to cooperate. There’s what looks like a flat head screw that I’m wondering if it can be loosened a bit allowing it to drop. i didn’t want to...
  2. topcat84

Splicing RTR Tape

One of my 10 1/2” tapes snapped off the “lead in” section and I was wondering if I could just Scotch Tape it onto the rest of the tape? Can you guys give me advice on the best way to repair this? Thanks in advance! Cheers!
  3. topcat84

Sony RTR Speed Problem

Hi Guys! Yesterday I was listening to my over 40 year old Sony TC-756 RTR and it was sounding great when all of a sudden the speed dramatically picked up and it sounded like the Chipmunks singing. What could be going on and is there anything I can do or is it just in need of a service? Thanks in...
  4. topcat84

My Sony R2R TC-756

Hi Guys! I’ve had my Sony since the early 70’s and enjoyed it immensely. Four years or so ago I had it serviced and the tech found that the pinch rollers were gummed up. I can’t remember why I took it in, but yesterday I was playing some recorded tapes of mine and the music sounded like the...
  5. topcat84

RTR Repair in the Charlotte, NC Area

Hi Guys! I have had my Sony TC-756 RTR for 40 years or so and although it plays my recorded music just fine, the FF & Reverse functions don’t work great. When you engage those buttons it never stops until you actually hit the stop button. I’d really like to get this repaired, but don’t want to...
  6. topcat84

Turntable Audio Cable Extenders

Hi Guys! One of my TT’s audio cables will not reach my preamp, so I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on some type of extender or coupler that I could purchase for that TT. Unfortunately the TT’s phono cables are fixed, so I can’t just buy longer cables. Thanks in advance! Cheers!!
  7. topcat84

Listening Volume

Hi Guys! I know that there will be all kinds of answers for this question, but in general, when you sit down and relax for a listening session, what level of loudness do you choose? I was just curious as to how to achieve the most out of one's system as far as volume. I generally like my music...
  8. topcat84

Soundsmith Cartridge Compatibility

Hi Guys!! I've been considering upgrading my turntable's cartridge and was interested in the Soundmith products. Since my equipment consists of mostly McIntosh components that I've had for 40 years or so, I was wondering if "Moving Iron Cartridges" would be compatible with my system. I've always...
  9. topcat84

Thorens TD 147 Question

Hi Everybody!! Where can I purchase a new dust cover for my Thorens TD 147? Mine is not clear and I'd like one that is. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!
  10. topcat84

Turntable RCA To Preamp Question

Could there be any damage to my turntable, preamp, or speakers if I were to have the "Right" RCA connector plugged into the left input of my preamp and the "Left" RCA connector plugged into the right input of my preamp? I've been trying to eliminate a hum in my Thorens TD 147 and for some reason...
  11. topcat84

DL-103 Cartridge + My Turntables

Hi Guys!! I'm interested in the Denon DL-103 cartridge and wondered if would be good fit for my Thorens TD 147 turntable or my Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable. Also is it fairly easy to install? Thanks in advance!! Cheers!!
  12. topcat84

Sony TC-756 R2R Question

Hi Everyone!! I was wondering what cleaner you guys would recommend I use for the metal facing of my Sony R2R? It's fairly clean, but I'd like to make it really shine. Also, I've noticed that the meters don't seem to "match" up on playback of my recorded reels. One meter barely moves, while the...
  13. topcat84

Amacher Cork Mats

Hi Guys!! I'm very interested in the Amacher Cork Mats out of Akron and wondered which one would be appropriate for my Thorens TD 147. Thanks in advance!! Cheers!!
  14. topcat84

Thorens TD 147 Question

Hi Guys!! Can anyone tell me how to remove the Start/Stop knob on my Thorens TD147 TT? Thanks in advance. Cheers!!
  15. topcat84

Advice On Greasing A Sticky Thorens Knob

Hi Guys!! I noticed after not using my Thorens TD 147 TT for a while that when I turn the start-stop switch to 33 or 45 it tends to stick instead of returning to its original position. Does it need grease or oil, and if so, how do I go about applying that? Does the knob just pull off or is...
  16. topcat84

Thorens Ground Wire Question

Hi Guys!! I have a Thoren's TD147 TT and wondered if I could connect the ground wire to something other than the grounding post on my McIntosh C28. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!
  17. topcat84

Advice On Spare Speakers

Hi Guys!! I wanted some advice on what to do with a pair of JBL L200 Studio Monitor speakers. I've had them for about 40 years and although they're in great condition, I just recently got the bug and bought a pair of Klipsch Reference 7II speakers. Now I have both, (JBLS & Klipsch), in the...
  18. topcat84

LP Inner Sleeves Question

Hi Guys!! I just started replacing my liner notes with Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves and was wondering what most of you do with the old ones. Keep them or toss them? Cheers!!
  19. topcat84

MC2105 Meters

Hi Guys!! I've noticed that when I have the gains on my 2105 at 12:00, the left and right meters don't quite match up to each other. They're not far off, but it bugs me a little. Is that normal, or should I adjust one of them to match the other? Thanks in advance!! Cheers!!
  20. topcat84

AC Connecting Advice

Hi Guys!! I have an MC2105 amplifier, a C28 preamp, and a MR78 tuner. I was curious as to how you would plug in those components. In the past I have always plugged the MC2105 and the MR78 into the power outlets of the C28 so that I could leave the 2105 and the MR78 turned "on" all of the time...
  21. topcat84

C46 Cabinet or Case Question

Hi Guys!! Does McIntosh make a wood case or cabinet for the C46 preamp? Thanks in advance!! Cheers!!
  22. topcat84

Preamp Upgrade

Hi Guys!! Lately I've been considering replacing my C28 with a newer model preamp and was wondering what suggestions you might have for me. It would be paired with an MC2105 and an MR78 that I have had for 40 something years. I'll be away from the computer for a bit, but would love to hear your...
  23. topcat84

New Mat For My Audio Technica TT

Hi Guys!! I'd like to replace the Audio Technica TT mat with something other than the felt one that came with it. Does anyone have a favorite or one that would be an upgrade from the standard thin felt ones? I will be away from the PC for a while so please feel free to advise. Thanks in...
  24. topcat84

New Speaker Recommendations

Hi Guys!! I'm considering replacing my 40 something year old JBL L200 Studio Monitors and was wondering what your thoughts are on their replacement. I have an MC2105, a C28, an MR78 and Thoren's turntable. My budget is around $2000.00 for the pair. Thanks in advance!! Cheers!!
  25. topcat84

The Dreaded Hum In My System

Hi Everybody!! First of all........Happy Thanksgiving to all on the forum!!!!! After setting up my system, an MC 2105, C28, and MR78 I find myself plagued with a hum whenever I use any of my components. My Thorens TT is grounded and everything seems to be hooked up correctly. When I select...
Back
Top Bottom