Search results

1. lab

What were the biggest breakthroughs in speaker design history?

I'd forgotten PerfectBox on it's floppy disk. It was much more useful than an exotic program I bought for around $350 around the same time which came on about 7 5.25" floppies and allowed you to model bandpass and I think passive radiator systems but it couldn't suggest designs for you. Can't...
  2. lab

Design Acoustics D-12 subwoofer?

Sometimes the flexible wire (tinsel leads) from the woofer terminals to the woofer cone can have a small break caused by decades of moving back and forth. With a little luck and skilled soldering you can occasionally restore continuity; that is if your voice coil isn't melted. I don't want...
  3. lab

80's PSB subwoofer

Do a Google image search for "psb avante speakers" and look through the pics, you'll see several images with two smaller speakers sitting on a large, wide subwoofer. That's your sub. You might be able to click on a few pics and see the original ad.
  4. lab

80's PSB subwoofer

I've got the same subwoofer stored in the garage, except mine has rubber surrounds on the 8" woofers. Interesting way of mounting the woofers with a clamping ring to hold them in the cabinet and no screws directly in the woofers . I tested the woofers and measured the internal volumes...
  5. lab

Refoamed Cerwin Vega D5

I've reformed several D5's where the customer complained of odd noises on loud bass notes. I ran signal sweeps through the woofer out of the cabinet. Finally tracked it down to loose panels in the cabinet. Forced glue into the offending joints and strapped them tightly. The odd buzzes and...
  6. lab

Sound dynamics 12 sce

If I remember correctly the sce had real wood veneer cabinets as opposed to the standard vinyl veneer. I had (maybe still have?) a pair somewhere around here. The original woofers were felted paper with yellow surrounds. I think I had some certificate that came with them but I can't remember...
  7. lab

Image brand speakers? Ribbon tweeter?

Image was also a line of speakers built by API (Audio Products International)
  8. lab

Psb passif 2

I did get the impression it was his first subwoofer. I did some rough estimates on its minus 3dB point at about 27 Hz, but that was based on analyzing the woofers while their cones were retracted somewhat. That might have botched some of the parameters and thereby fudged the results (estimated...
  9. lab

Psb passif 2

I think I have that psb subwoofer buried under a lot of stuff in the garage. Are your 8 inch woofers held in place with a plastic retaining ring screwed in place, but no screws in the woofers themselves? I can't get at it right now but that subwoofer looks so familiar. I never got to try it...
  10. lab

Mirage m7

Mirage M7 are very nice and give a good sense of spaciousness. I'm a big fan of PSB's also.
  11. lab

Vacuum speakers

How about an old, abandoned Tardis? Talk about your infinite baffle!
  12. lab

sound dynamics 15s worth fixing ?

Years ago I had a pair in the living room while watching Star Trek IV. The roar of the space probe shook the whole house with a 40 watt amp. A bit directional in the mid frequencies but very listenable. They have Sound Dynamics "floating port" design where the built in stand raises the...
  13. lab

Vacuum speakers

I believe Nikola Tesla was working on a similar endeavor just before his home imploded into a black hole.
  14. lab

Ohm Model H - Big Surprise!

Electrovoice Interface A has a 12" passive and it's 8" woofer has a very impressive magnet. But I've been a fan of the Ohm h since I first saw and heard them. Plus they don't rely on a dedicated equalizer like the E.V.'s .
  15. lab

JVC SK-1000 Curb Find - Opinions?

I remember a nice review of these speakers in High Fidelity magazine years ago. They were quite decent as I recall.
  16. lab

Those Carver Speakers! Who has them? Anyone?

Aren't those Dayton planar tweeters?
  17. lab

Soundbar id ? anybody recognize this ?

Marley? More of an upper scale Bluetooth than a soundbar.
  18. lab

What's the Deal with New Ohm Walsh's?

Incidentally I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Walsh 2's. I bought a used pair on line having never heard any before and I was really impressed with the gentle correctness of their sound.
  19. lab

Okay, you caught me. Walsh -ish. But I spelled German Physiks with a "c" and I incorrectly called hhr "model 4" whereas it's proper model is tls-4. You have missed 2 of my errors and you failed to sterilize. Exercise your prime function!
  20. lab

Speaking of Walsh drivers... has anyone here heard or own German Physics version of a Walsh driver used for lower mids and treble (or hhr model 4 which appears to be a well made copy of the German Physics ddd speaker)
  21. lab

I need to learn about speakers

I hope Troika doesn't have the foam plugs inserted in the Epos ports as this reduces the bass output considerably and would influence the audition. They are only to be used if the listener finds the bass output to be excessive. Good luck with your choices.
  22. lab

Finally acquired a pair of kef 107.2

Shot in the dark here, but any chance the dual woofers are wired out of phase? If memory serves the front of one woofer feeds into the coupled cavity accompanied by the back of the second woofer. This requires the two woofers to be wired in opposite phase electrically so that their outputs...
  23. lab

I need to learn about speakers

The fact that you like the Epos speakers sound but you miss the lower frequencies, plus you're limited on space makes me think you should try a small powered subwoofer with them. If money is tight you might find a used subwoofer for a fairly low price. A 10 inch powered subwoofer won't take up...
  24. lab

Energy sub hum- help

I've got the same problem but on a slightly larger scale. 15" Klipsch that hums like an ogre that forgot the words to a song. I didn't know if it was caps or blown output transistors.
Back
Top Bottom