Search results

1. tcss

Technics SL-23 or SL-DD33

More thoughts: Compliance match for the P mount cart will match the DD33 much better. But you may not hear a difference. The VTA would have be be the same on both turntables to have a accurate comparison. This ( VTA ) is one difference that can be heard.
  2. tcss

Technics SL-23 or SL-DD33

You could use a P mount adapter for the headshell on the SL-23 and listen to both to make a decision. I have a DD33 with Shure V15 HRP that sounded good before I wore out the stylus. Now I use a SL-1700 with a few different carts. I also have a SL-230, but the 1700 sounds better. Never...
  3. tcss

Rega Rp8 VTA

Good idea on separating the spacers. When I adjust VTA, I compare sound of the LP to the same mastered cd to hear the differences easily. Not only should you hear differences in bass and treble-drum cymbals, the midrange change's too. For the bass you can from bloated to tight/full and the...
  4. tcss

Another V15 Thread

I purchased a HE for my V15 from TNN, did not like the sound of it. Had a person check it out with his microscope and he said it was a conical.
  5. tcss

Adjusting Azimuth on a Realistic Lab-420

Do not mess with those screws on the gimbal assy unless you understand what they do and how it affects the balance/movement of the tonearm. On the underside of the tonearm there are two screws that holds the locking screw assembly for the headshell barrel. You can rotate that assembly ( only a...
  6. tcss

Stylus follows arc but can't achieve cartridge offset angle?

I suggest you re-read your own post as if you did not write it. To me, if you can twist it enough, stop there, you're done. Or, after you twist the cart, you need to re-check and possibly move the cart to correct the overhang length. I like CH's arc protractor because you don't have to align...
  7. tcss

Stylus follows arc but can't achieve cartridge offset angle?

You state you can twist the cart enough, so are you having a hard time eyeing the cantilever to the grid line? This is about your 4th thread on this subject, we are trying to help, please be more specific.
  8. tcss

VTA on Technics SL-23

Before purchasing anything, you could shim the front of the cartridge with a thin piece of plastic ( credit card ) or a round wire ( paper clip ) to level the cart. You should hear a different tonal sound, a test to see if you like it better.
  9. tcss

VTA on Technics SL-23

I had a turntable once that when the headshell was tightened, the headshell raised up in the front. This is from too much clearance in the barrel and having one tab that pulls the headshell in on the top side. I doubt your Technics does that, just something to check. A Ortofon style headshell...
  10. tcss

VTA on Technics SL-23

How did you determine that the tonearm is not parallel? Does not look bad in the pics. Do you have 2 grams VTF and how old is that stylus?
  11. tcss

VTA on Technics SL-23

I do not think you will find a headshell that mounts the cart higher than the one I linked and you say that is what you are using. It is definitely not what a 1200 uses. Is there a tonal quality that your setup does not please you? Up high in the front would be bass heavy, treble light. Or...
  12. tcss

VTA on Technics SL-23

I agree that your two Technics headshell should be similar. This style will raise the cartridge up thus lowering the front of the tonearm. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-LP-Vinyl-Record-Turntable-Cartridge-Headshell-Replacement-with-Tool/183742812885?hash=item2ac7ecd2d5:m:m90YqbX6d5cIhihykDpK69Q
  13. tcss

VTA on Technics SL-23

Are you using the factory headshell? Headshells have different heights where the cartridge mounts compared to the center line of barrel ( the round piece that goes into the end of the tonearm ). Also, some cartridges are taller than others. Having the cartridge front up 1/2 degree is usually...
  14. tcss

So my 93 year old dad says, "You're into record needles, right?"

Having a common interest, your dad probably had as much joy giving them to you as you receiving them. Thanks for sharing.
  15. tcss

Realistic LAB-400 cartridge Alignment

This is what I used for C H arc protractor and it sounded great. spindle to pivot 205 IEC for 60.325,146.050 grove radius Lofgren A Be sure to size your printer to the measurement marks. Start at the center ( by the spindle ) and line the paper to your stylus, then swing the tonearm out. If...
  16. tcss

Realistic LAB-400 cartridge Alignment

The Lab 400 manual shows how to set the overhang. You can look at it at vinylengine. If you want a different alignment, I find the 2 point protractor too time consuming to adjust the overhang and offset angle, using two null grid patterns to line up with the cantilever. I now use Conrad...
  17. tcss

Azimuth average deviation.

I believe it is desirable to have rigid bond between the cart and headshell. My bubble level is an old Empire brand ( 1 1/4 diameter ). The bubble moves at the slightest angle movement. I checked it against a Starrett precision level that has graduations for .0005 per foot. I have seen levels (...
  18. tcss

Azimuth average deviation.

I have a turntable with a removable headshell. When I clean the stylus I remove the headshell. I then use a bubble level to set the headshell for the correct azimuth. I can twist the headhell more than .3 degrees from the slop in the barrel tang with the slot in the end of the tonearm, .3 is a...
  19. tcss

Can't get cartridge aligned?

You are having trouble twisting the cartridge enough to align with the protractor lines, correct? Do you have the headshell with the threaded plate on top? If you remove that plate, do you think the cart would twist enough?
  20. tcss

Acutex M312 III STR Question.

I have both the old and new style Acutex 312's. Both have worn stylus and I have stopped using them. My question is, are some of you re tipping them yourself? I'd like to do that to my carts. Where do you purchase the new cantilevers with different diamond shapes? What are the special procedure...
  21. tcss

Just Finished My PL-540

Wow! I like that!
  22. tcss

new Denon DL-110, should I use it?

Yep, the cartridge looks like that one. I have eight other cartridges and this is the first one with a skewed cantilever. I suppose the magnet is above the cantilever/coil, so it's not as bad as having the magnets to the sides of an offset cantilever. I did the "experiment". I could not see any...
  23. tcss

Next question, the cantilever is angled ( straight, no visible bend ) 2 degrees from being in line with the cartridge body, front to back. Does this mean the coils are not centered inside the cart body or is the cantilever centered inside and has a bend in the suspension giving the angle when...
  24. tcss

How to set VTA for best performance.....what is "Right?"

Fishead, I like your idea on how to compare different sounds at varying VTA's. I did this a few years ago, going up to 2 degrees each way from the 92 degree theoretical setting. I used a cd that sounded close to the lp, mastering wise (Al De Meola Elegant Gypsy). One thing that bugs me is...
  25. tcss

When I first balanced the arm, not over the platter, it seemed to not float correctly. Never had this problem with my MM cartridges. Then I watched the tonearm nose dive toward the plinth and back to level. 30 seconds later, it dove down again. Must be something metallic under the plinth...
Back
Top Bottom