Search results

1. mjw21a

My system today

Well, the wife was out for a half hour for a dental appointment so I was able to do a brielf recording of my system. So here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZXGv6xmE4E0smCZsuLEP0bBQG5KAjg-C/view?usp=sharing You'll have to forgive my baby squealing throughout.
  2. mjw21a

Just ordered my first projector

Ok, so IU've just ordered my first projector: A Wemax ONE Pro short throw projector. Have done a little research and ordered an inexpensive 110" fixed projector screen (our home has wood panelling). Really looking forward to trying this out..... I rather hope I can figure out a way to use the...
  3. mjw21a

My system

I didn't realise that I'd left our noisy arse fan on though it's audible throughout this unfortunately.... My chair decided to recline itself too.ah well https://photos.app.goo.gl/rBWfCH7N5cRTfsUU7
  4. mjw21a

Blown away by this DAC

Ok, I've been really happy with how my Muji Studio DAC II sounds after significant work. Then installed a pair of Sparkos SS3602 into another cheaper DAC, and an 8x TDA1387 module and have nearly equalled the performance of the Muji at a fraction of the cost. Once I've a NOS reclock module for...
  5. mjw21a

Stupid question....

Ok, I kind of feel like this is a stupid question though I'm going to ask away anyway. I'm thinking of wiring a 4 ohm full range driver with a 6 ohm tweeter in series. Would placing a capacitor in front of the tweeter effect the frequency response of the full range driver even though the full...
  6. mjw21a

Headset cable that works with Monoprice Monolith headphones

Ok, so recently I was looking for a replacement cable for my Monoprice Monolith M1060 headphones that would allow me to answer phone calls with it, having a built in mic, skip songs, pause etc and was surprised that there is pretty much nothing out there that fits the bill. Eventually I came...
  7. mjw21a

Dirt cheap USB only Phillips TDA1837 R2R DAC sounds wonderful

Ok, so I ordered a El cheapo L1387 DAC off eBay for a whole $30 to try in my desktop computer set up. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how good this thing sounds. Not quite as dynamic as the AK4396 Elfidelity sound card I was previously running though more musical and very natural...
  8. mjw21a

Highly regarded cartridges that haven't lived up to expectation

Ok, so I've a few low output moving iron cartridges which have simply never lived up to expectation. A Grade Statement Master 1, Pickering XLZ7500S and a Stanton 785LZE. I find them smooth, and lacking in body. The meat I expect from an MI. Now one thing which may be affecting this is that I'd...
  9. mjw21a

Won a used Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2 on eBay

Ok, so I ended up winning a used Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2 on eBay. It has the Linear power supply upgrade, remote control and looks to have a longer than standard DC power cable. Even after factoring in shipping and import duty, I'm saving a bit over $1,000 Australian dollars over new so...
  10. mjw21a

Valab OP-Mini phono stage on the way

Ok, so I'm taking a gamble on a Valab OP-Mini phono stage for my second system. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302919643043 I figured it was worth a try considering how good the Valab LCR-1 turned out to be (spectacular). I figure this...
  11. mjw21a

Just bought a Hashimoto HM3 SUT on fleabay

Ok, so I had an itch for a new SUT and bought a Hashimoto HM-3 SUT off eBay wire for both gain levels. (1:20 and 1:40 I think). Now I'm pretty sure this is way too high a gain level for my 0.5mv Audio Technica ART9 though probably perfect for my Fidelity Research FR-7. I believe resistive...
  12. mjw21a

Darkvoice 336SE OTL headphone amp

Ok, so I recieved a new toy today at work. A Darkvoice 336SE headphone amp. I'm using a AK4396 based DAC to feed it, and outputting into some AKG K712 Pro headphones. This thing is built like a tank and is just gorgeous to look at. The only slight issue is the power switch is slightly crooked...
  13. mjw21a

Anyone tried a Boyu Reisong SUT?

Has anyone tried one of these with a LOMC cart? It's price makes it interesting. Could make LOMC's affordable for many who wouldn't otherwise consider it...
  14. mjw21a

Recieved my darTZeel NHB-108 copy from China

Ok I recieved my darTZeel NHB-108 copy today. I must say that I've never seen something so well packed before. It would really take a bit to damage it the way it was packed. Took near a half hour to get it unboxed. Weighs an absolute tonne. After first power on there was noticeable hum in the...
  15. mjw21a

Ordered some Chinese speakers out of curiosity

Ok, I ordered some Chinese speakers out of curiosity. A horn tweeter, 2x 10" drivers, 97db sensitivity and 50WRMS power handling made me curious as to how these things sound. Kingprints W2-1000F apparently. If anyone's interested I'll post my impressions once I receive it. After finding an...
  16. mjw21a

Schiit Saga vs Goldmund 27 preamps

Ok, I'm currently running a Schiit Saga preamp in my main system and love how that sounds with a Quad 405 copy through my Aurum Cantus F620 speakers. It's extremely transparent and sounds fantastic with an RCA 6BX7GT Black Plate in there. I'm wondering though whether I'm losing anything vs...
  17. mjw21a

Bought a Elfidelity PCI-E sound card out of curiosity

Ok, I've been out of computer tech for a while now spending most of my time researching and perfecting my stereo systems around the house. I've been curious about the Elfidelity PCI-E cards for a while. My favourite DAC in my main system is a Gieseler Gross DAC which is by far and away the best...
  18. mjw21a

Bought a Schiit JIL

Ok, I bought a Schiit JIL and got to try it out today. After getting my settings right in Vinyl Studio I ripped the Icehouse album, Man of Colours. I spent some time comparing the resulting FLAC file with the actual output of my vinyl rig and I must say that the rip is indistinguishable from the...
  19. mjw21a

DAC with built in preamp with a remote

Heya, just seeing if anyone is aware of a preamp with integrated DAC whch also has a remote. It will need two analog RCA or XLR inputs as well as all the usual USB, coax and toslink inputs. Solutions utilising AKM chips are of particular interest. Looking for something to suit a mate. Nothing...
  20. mjw21a

Software to replace my music collection with high res files

Ok, so I'm looking to try find a way to upgrade my music collection to high resolution files. Many of these were ripped from CD in the 90's as 64k WMA files due to drive space restrictions I had back then. Besides with the shitty playback equipment I had back then the difference was less...
  21. mjw21a

Boston Acoustics A100 speakers

Ok, so I've stumbled across a pair of Boston Acoustics A100 speakers locally for $160 AUD (126 USD) which strikes me as quite cheap for what seems to be a well thought of speaker. As I understand it these are 90db efficient. Does anyone know how easy to drive these are? I plan to use with a JLH...
  22. mjw21a

I laid down the money for a Gieseler Groß DAC today

I figured that since a number of people have sold their 10k dollar DAC's in favor of it, and the builder is struggling to keep up with demand it wounld be a good investment. I expect the price will go up to lessen demand for it at some point. I'll be on holidays a few weeks so I'll pick it up...
  23. mjw21a

Got my Fidelity Research FR-7 back from a service

Ok, I got my Fidelity Research FR-7 back from being repaired by Garrott Bros. It turns out that the previous owner had squirted some sort of damping gel inside it which had liquefied and run through the coils causing the shortage in volume and distorted sound. Garrott Bros successfully flushed...
  24. mjw21a

Crown XLI1500 vs XLS1002

Ok, I'm considering the Crown XLS1002 and XLI1500 for a third system and was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of each? My other two systems are lowish and medium wattage (12W SEP & 45W Push-Pull) so looking at a going in the other direction this time around. I've heard that...
  25. mjw21a

60's speaker cabinets with Dayton USA PS220-8 drivers refurb

After installing Western Electric 11ga tinned speaker cables in my Dayton USA PS220-8 based speakers and discovering they're actually the best sounding speakers I own (betterring my Aurum Cantus F620, B&W DM16, Pioneer CS-88A amd Polk TSi100's), I decided it was time to get rid of the nasty...
Back
Top Bottom