Search results

1. reed338

New Zu Audio Soul Supreme Speakers

Hey All, Just got a new set of Soul Supremes...finally after a long wait to match up with my Undertone. Still getting used to the sound - good, detail, imaging and dynamics. But have noticed what seems like some slight quality control and/or consistency issues. My Undertone has great looking...
  2. reed338

Audio Research LS15 preamp tube positions

I contacted ARC, they provided me the instructions sheet for changing the LS-15 gain from 18dB to 12dB (or vice versa). Anyone curious, see attached.
  3. reed338

Audio Research LS15 preamp tube positions

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here.... But does anyone know how to tell if a specific LS15 is at the original 12dB gain or had been factory set to a higher gain setting? I understand 12dB was standard but they could be ordered at other, higher, gain settings....
  4. reed338

CJ MV-60 Output Impedance

Anyone know how to tell what impedance my MV-60 is wired up for? Here is an image if it helps... Thanks!
  5. reed338

Any one with experience with Dynaco st70 and Magnepan.

I have a pair of 1.7i speakers. Ive used a Conrad Johnson MV-60...sounds okay, but no where near as good as it does with my Forte's. I have generally run my Magnepans with a Mcintosh MA6600...sounds good but something always felt lacking unless I turned the system up way loud, louder than I...
  6. reed338

MA230 Transistor Substitutes

Hi c_dk. Yeah, one of the 11BQ101 transistors failed in the line stage of the preamp. Its the left channel. I was able to isolate the issue to the one output 11bq101 by swapping the transistors from left to right and the problem followed. (the transistors are in little sockets, so its easy)...
  7. reed338

Thanks for the comments, just to be clear...the part numbers off of the schematics are what I listed...all it says is 11BQ101 and 2N2926. the latter is available new from mouser. the 11BQ101 is not, and there is no info on the web. I was asking if anyone knew a substitute or where to buy...
  8. reed338

Has anyone successfully substituted modern transistors into the preamp board to replace the 2N2926 or 11BQ101? Ive found modern 2N2926 devices, but im wondering if the newer ones would be better/worse/same as the originals I have now. The 11BQ101 I cannot find any replacements for, or any...
  9. reed338

My Budget(?) McIntosh System

Stereo equipment is very overpriced in Tokyo. But in akihabara you can find decently priced tango transformers and such. But I go there to eat and drink until the wee hours of the morning. Meet me there and I'll show you the best ramen in shinokobu...I hope you like it spicy!!
  10. reed338

Just put it on your credit card and then pay 35 dollars a month on your minimum payment until your dead. Me, I work hard have ZERO debt,no kids, no wife and can afford a decent condo, nice stereo, two vacations a year to Tokyo and drive a 2015 corvette. Priorities my friends.
  11. reed338

Yeah it's a lot of money, but also that's all it is!
  12. reed338

This is a little over two years of diligently looking on ebay/CL/audiogon and making lowball offers :/. My first system was a fisher 500c, theorens td125, rega planet and Klipch fortes. Every single thing I've replaced was a huge improvement all along the way. At this point I'm not sure...
  13. reed338

Still looking for a used Furman regulator/conditioner and a decent subwoofer.....but so far this is my budget(?) McIntosh system. What do you think...is it budget or am I fooling myself?! Any suggestions for other good McIntosh hardware that can be found on the cheap? I'm guessing inthe near...
  14. reed338

Manley Chinook tube phono pre

15. reed338

Manley Chinook tube phono pre

I just recently picked up a chinook and I'm super happy. Sounds far far better than any phono preamp I've owned....so that's a deff win to me. It's laid out and constructed with very quality stuff overall. But I was a bit shocked to spot some cheapy Illinois brand capacitors in the mix...
  16. reed338

MA-230 Voltage Doubler Problem?

Thanks, I'm starting to think its not just something off with my unit. I also found the noise level specs looking through the MA230 owners manual. McIntosh claims noise (high level input) to be 75dB less than the full rated power (30Watts). With that and the spec'd Forte efficiency I did a...
  17. reed338

MA-230 Voltage Doubler Problem?

Hi All, I recently rebuilt a 500$ CL find MA230. It's not the best condition cosmetically, but now with a fully rebuilt power supply, all new electrolytic and high voltage coupling caps it sure sounds great! I do however hear a distinct hiss when hooked up to highly efficient (Klipsch Forte)...
  18. reed338

Most Common Parts Needed For Fishers!

huh? :dunno:
  19. reed338

There is no current to the node where the coupling capacitor, 1k and 220k resistors meet. So I wouldnt think parasitics in 8 inches of wire would matter at all....thats why i was wondering why people insisted on leaving the grid leak resistors as close to the original location as possible...
  20. reed338

After searching around on various threads discussing the construction of these individual tube bias boards ive noticed that none of the 500/800 builds place the grid leak resistors directly on the board. The 220k resistors usually are somehow cobbled precariously in their original location with...
  21. reed338

Still All About The "IBAM"

:blah:
  22. reed338

MA230 Project SS Preamp questions

Thanks for the response, i checked out the past posts from Kimmo on his C26 and it did help out a lot. I managed to restore the power supply and generally cleaned up the unit and its sounding great. There are a few things that are still bugging me about this one. Mine is the version without...
  23. reed338

MA230 Project SS Preamp questions

Ive recently started a new project to restore a MA230. Even though all the existing transistors are fine and working....i was curious if replacing them with newer modern transistors would improve anything? If so has anyone done this, and what components did you use?
  24. reed338

Counterpoint SA-2 FUSE

thanks kcin...any help would be appreciated! I was told a 2A is the appropriate rated fuse...but the unit popped it. So I'm not sure if there is an issue or if the 2A is too small. Thanks!
  25. reed338

Counterpoint SA-2 FUSE

Can anyone help me out? I just acquired a counterpoint sa-2 but the fuse was missing. I can't find what fuse is required in any of the online info (schematics or owners manual). Anyone know or have a unit that you could check for me? huge thanks!
Back
Top Bottom