Search results

1. T

Help please on Pioneer sx 838

Thanks again. I will give it a go and let you know!!
  2. T

Thank you Markthefixer!! Any suggestion as to how to best clean those switches? Since I am not a pro I am used to cleaning pots that turn like volume and balance..these buttons push in and out? What is the best way to get at them? I appreciate the help!!(sorry about you dad)
  3. T

I want give this as a gift to my nephew . I actually recapped this about a year ago and de ox and cleaned.It was my first re cap and I am a newbe but had a friend who advised me.Unfortunately he took ill. The unit sounds fine but the source selector buttons are not working right. I play FM and...
  4. T

Large Advent Questions..Solder connection to woofer and more

Thanks Doug I have been listening to them while making a RTR highlight tape this weekend..I have had to turn down the base a notch at times..The highs are UFB as well..I am really happy to have them.. My 22 yo daughter said they " sound really rich"..I am really happy to be part of AK and feel...
  5. T

A shout out to Carl. He was a huge help to me!Doug I will take your advice as I have nothing to lose by trying to save the original fabric..It really not to bad!
  6. T

So I have re capped both and re foamed both woofers. I am pretty new at this and its my first "real" soldering job on equipment. I re did the cabinets with Restore a Fiinish. These speakers really sound great...The bass is awesome..I have always been an Allison guy,still am with a pair of 9s i...
  7. T

My Physics & Music Classroom

Tybrad...That is really cool! As someone who has enjoyed vintage stereo since the 1970s I find your post uplifting..,. I just started working on some equipment myself and I wish I had paid more attention to my high school physics teacher!! I just gave my 22yo daughter a vintage pioneer receiver...
  8. T

Pioneer sx 636

Thanks I agree. I am looking for an 838 to work on .i have a black face sx 770 that I have owned since 1972! I think I may try the LED upgrade on it.. Not sure how it will turn out because the original color is more green But I agree these pioneers that you mention just have a great classic...
  9. T

Here are some pics. I have the woofers out. It seems they were wired differently as if the crossovers were different or worked on?.. Can anyone advise me as to what kind of crossovers these are and how to proceed after I re foam the woofers? The last 2 pics are 2 different speakers.. thanks
  10. T

I am not sure of the type yet.. have not gotten that far. How do I know what "type"..Thanks
  11. T

thanks tyella...did you do anything to the crossovers?
  12. T

I am still relatively new to AK and appreciate all the info here!!I just picked up a pair of Large Avents from GW for $15!! They are Walnut with the the bullnose trim on the grills. Masonite woofers.I think date is 1973? I am going to "restore" them but have a few questions.. the woofers are...
  13. T

Pioneer sx 636

Thanks to all of you! I took the approach of mojoe. I went in from the top.I was afraid to break the pointer.The lamp box can be rotated back after taking a few screws out..Here is the finished product!
  14. T

Pioneer sx 636

so i have loooked at this for a while.The buttons from part 54 and 55 protrude Way beyound or proud to the needle pointer. It seems geometrically impossible to clear the needle without getting these off or recessed. I took the foam off part 54 dial control but see no nut? suggestions on how...
  15. T

Pioneer sx 636

So i took face plate off. I see parts #14 and 15. in this model the glass face has 2 control knobs coming through it! (see the pics)Part 54 is one of them.That controls the dial string!! I can not imagine you need to take the whole string mechanism apart to get to the bulbs( The other is a...
  16. T

Pioneer sx 636

You guys are great! I am going go at it this weekend!I will let you know how it goes!! Many thanks
  17. T

Pioneer sx 636

Thanks for the advice.. I will plan to go thru the front. What is needed to take dial face out? Is it screwed in? I assume you slide it out the side to avoid the pointer? Again thanks to all of you for advice and support...
  18. T

Pioneer sx 636

TSD I love that beer girl pic!! Any thing to look out for? I know about the knobs and screws...How to avoid messing up the dial face? and are the fuse lamps pretty easy to get out? Thanks
  19. T

Pioneer sx 636

Thanks I tried to upload the exploded view from manual and a pic of the unit looking down on it.... thanks for helping!
  20. T

Pioneer sx 636

Hi all. I am still relatively new. Have owned stuff my whole life. I want to start working on some of my gear. I want to replace the fuse bulbs on a sx 636 with LEDs. I bought them on "the Bay". Do I need to remove the faceplate and go in from the front? Or can I go in from the top? I see the...
  21. T

What's the longest you've owned a piece of gear?

Pioneer SX 770 I have my Pioneer SX 770 with black face. I bought it when I was in high school circa 1972. It still works and sound great! So that's 43 years.
  22. T

Starting over

love this stuff I am not divorced. I have reconstituted 2 systems in my basement. Now mine as the kids are out. My Allison CD9 speakers I bought in the 1980s are refoamed and like new. They are driven by a rebuilt Marantz 2270.(Wargo as well good guy) I am using a Dual 1219 and a TEAC 4300...
  23. T

Tips and tricks to make the most of your AK experience

newbee Howdy to all... I just started pulling out some of my old stereo stuff from the 1970-1980s...Pulled out some old vinyl and played them.. I am hooked again. looking forward to getting some wisdom as I resurrect and modify the gear from the past!! thanks for having me!!
Back
Top Bottom