Search results

1. ggizzy

Goodmans Speakers

Thanks for this information!
  2. ggizzy

AR-XA/XB turntable for 45s

Guess I meant just using it as a dedicated 45 mono player. Can you use the XB's cueing function for a 7" single?
  3. ggizzy

AR-XA/XB turntable for 45s

I've read a few posts about the pain-in-the-neck belt replacement for these two classic turntables when switching between 33 and 45RPM. I was considering using an AR-XB, (with the cueing mechanism) for mono LPs and 45s, on a strictly mono setup. I wondered how it would sound paired with a...
  4. ggizzy

Yamaha P90 keyboard output cable

I have an older Yamaha P90 that does just fine for my keyboard learning. It has two internal speakers that are hardly up to the task of amplifying the output. There is a TRS, unbalanced output on the back for headphones. (600R I assume?) Wondering how I would get this out to an amp without...
  5. ggizzy

Sherwood S-5000 purchase and restoration

The permanent solution is probably a boost/buck transformer, no?
  6. ggizzy

Sherwood S-5000 purchase and restoration

If you’re going to effort of full restoration, might be worth it to check AC cord and point at where it meets chassis. (pass thru) Also check safety ground bolt and maybe move to its own separate bolt with star washers and nyloc nut. Definitely ohm it and voltage check it to ground with amp...
  7. ggizzy

Installing GE RPX cartridge in Garrard Type A

Thank you gadget. I’ve ordered some nylon ones I will cut to fit.
  8. ggizzy

Thanks for the reply! A few more questions- can I use nylon instead of brass screws or are the brass screws important for static rejection? Should I insulate the screws from the cartridge body with the plastic washers? finally, does it matter which lug in the cartridge I solder positive and...
  9. ggizzy

Good evening, I have a Garrard Type A that has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust and awaiting its fate in the project queue. Well I finally dig her out this weekend intending to install this GE RPX cartridge. (Has 5384 on back of cartridge- only identifier?) The head shell has the...
  10. ggizzy

Tannoy spares

Funny when I think of Tannoy I think of the big 'ol 15" Silver/Reds concentric speakers they were using at Abbey Road and similar studios at the time for playback and monitoring. Easily $10K a piece speakers. For them to not support these type of drivers anymore is a real letdown. I would...
  11. ggizzy

Quad 405 Upgrade Sugestions Please

What parts specifically are you looking for?
  12. ggizzy

Wharfedale (?) W70? The Radio People (Hong Kong)?

There are others here who know far more about the Wharfedale drivers than myself. So I'm afriad I can't help you on the driver IDs. I only own the own the one pair of W60s- they are sitting in the work queue as I type, hah. The fourth picture is of a 2uf 100V cap which would be part of the...
  13. ggizzy

You want to first measure the entire speaker circuit at the back panel, hooking your MM leads to the terminals where you'd attach your speaker cable. We are really talking about the right speaker here as you said you get no signal from it at all. Then, and as I imagine you will, when you read...
  14. ggizzy

Set the multimeter to ohms. Put the multimeter across the speaker terminals on the back of the whole speaker. You are looking for 0V or 0.L. The first indicates some sort of short and the latter an open. I doubt you can really narrow it down without testing each driver individually though...
  15. ggizzy

I don't know the particulars of your speaker, but- The bottom driver with circular magnet looks to be the woofer, the one above with the square magnet the mid. Inside the wooden box will be the tweeter, likely. And the cardboard tube is the port for the cab. You could try testing the...
  16. ggizzy

Wharfedale 60 1st gen

I just got the L-pads today so will be hopefully be auditioning them by weekend's end :)
  17. ggizzy

Rogers LS3/5a Recap?

From what I have gathered working in and around UK gear for the past few years- Mullard "tropical fish" caps are polyester caps. They have a known issue of the leads deteriorating or breaking off. They are likely to be subject to that type of stress even more so in a speaker crossover...
  18. ggizzy

Interesting Speakers

May I present my left leg? ;)
  19. ggizzy

Wharfedale 60 1st gen

A bit confused - I should rewire avoiding the L-pad/pot reference to ground or rewire with the cap before the L-pad/pot?
  20. ggizzy

Wharfedale 60 1st gen

Those are the same L-pads you linked to in post #7? At this point I think I'd like to get these into circulation. However, if waiting out the NOS parts would be worthwhile, I may consider. I recall a year or so ago finding them but epay sellers wanting $40/crossover or something outrageous...
  21. ggizzy

Wharfedale 60 1st gen

I have been watching the epay auctions for 50 ohm W60 pots/crossovers for about a month now and have only run across W60D crossovers. They have two 50ohm pots, but they look to me to be smaller than the originals- the crossover is different and the early version's was much simpler. If you...
  22. ggizzy

Wharfedale 60 1st gen

This was the 2-way W60 crossover I had diagrammed from years back- The L-pad point (c) would then not be tied to ground?
  23. ggizzy

Wharfedale 60 1st gen

I have a pair of these early 2-way Wharfedale W60s that have been sitting unused for a few years. The 50 ohm L-pads on mine were no bueno, and so I pulled them. I have caps to replace the original but I've been holding off in anticipation of finding an L-pad to replace. Then I came across...
  24. ggizzy

AR-2A/2-AX speaker restore

I used the dremel as instructed with a pliant sanding disc and was able to clean them up rather nicely. However they still had streaks and marks from the disc so I foolishly decided to brasso them again. After rinsing the brasso they turned back to gold! I reassembled them and put them on the...
  25. ggizzy

AR-2A/2-AX speaker restore

Got back to these last night and this morning. I first gave them the salt/vinegar bath for an hour or so. This seemed to have very little effect, perhaps because they were not terribly corroded. I rinsed them thoroughly with cold water for about ten minutes in the sink before letting them dry...
Back
Top Bottom