Search results

1. arts

Bulk Audio Cable Recommendation?

The GS-4 is 4mm, GS-6 is 6mm. The Mogami W2497 is 8mm, which is pretty darned big, and has trouble fitting some (actually, most) RCA plugs. If you are looking for music hose these aren't for you. Do keep in mind, "heft" has absolutely nothing to do with quality or performance.
  2. arts

Bulk Audio Cable Recommendation?

I use Canare GS-4 & GS-6 for most everything, but only for short runs (under 3ft) as the capacitance is a little higher than some other cables. It is a VERY well shielded cable, and has an internal carbon sheath that really reduces handling and microphonic noise pickup. For the fancy stuff I...
  3. arts

Making up some interconnects - which Rean Neutrik connector?

I have found that even with some heavier cables (Mogami W2497, 8.0mmØ) if I cut the end on a 45° angle I can make it fit. Tight, but it'll go.
  4. arts

Coating on 5AR4 plates departed, why?

Nothing wrong with that tube at all. Starting in 1960, GE began using a three-ply plate material for certain rectifier tubes, fabricated using explosive bonding techniques. The plies (starting from the cathode side) were copper, steel and aluminum. This gave far better heat distribution, heat...
  5. arts

Making up some interconnects - which Rean Neutrik connector?

According to Rean, the maximum cable size for the NYS373 is 6.1mmØ. According to Mogami, the 2549 is 6.0mmØ. Perhaps the tolerances are not falling in your favor.
  6. arts

Olson ra-655 mess

Good call, seems to be the same "non-voltage-doubler" power supply the OP described. Shouldn't be too difficult to do a quick comparison.
  7. arts

Why is a Nichicon 35V 3.3uF so large?

I have given up on electrolytics for low values. Now I use film for everything 4µ7 and under, and if space permits I'll even go up to 10µFd for coupling applications.
  8. arts

MC275 with 120 Ohm Load?

Yes. Taps are located on the cathode winding of the output transformer and output from an octal socket on the chassis.
  9. arts

MC275 with 120 Ohm Load?

The original MC275 has a 70.7 volt output available, which is roughly equal to a 100 ohm load.
  10. arts

Fender Stratocaster turns 70

There's something special about old, high-mileage instruments. My Precision (1959) can officially take retirement this year. I have hockey sticks and cricket bats that are less battered than my old beastie, but it's still the best P-bass I've ever heard or played:)
  11. arts

Audio Research M300 mk2 XLR inputs ?

I'm guessing from your post that you have (hopefully!) yet to purchase these. Unless you are an extremely competent, experienced and skilled technician (or know one who is, and you have very deep pockets) I would strongly recommend that you avoid the Audio Research M300 amplifier. There are far...
  12. arts

New variacs on that auction site

There's a local Kijiji flipper-monkey asking 400 buck for a W5MT3AW....
  13. arts

labels for cables

Bill, If you really want to up your profanity game, skip the masking tape and do what I did; duct tape. Like everything that goes wrong, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
  14. arts

labels for cables

I use a Brother P-touch. You can either print them in the "Flag" orientation or on wider tape in the "Wrap" orientation. Laminated Cable Wire (Flexible ID) Tape is the best.
  15. arts

Bryston 2B-LP dead outputs

I've always used the MJ15024G/MJ15025G for the SJ6521A/SJ6522A without issue.
  16. arts

CM Laboratories?

Hi, and welcome to AK :) I have a pair of CM912P power amps that I have been wanting to get back into service for a very long time. They were rather hacked when I received them (1980's?) with many parts replaced or missing entirely. Have never been able to find a schematic.
  17. arts

Let's hear your horror stories and close calls!

In my much younger days I worked as a field welder, GTAW. My work was mostly in critical applications where the testing of each weld was mandatory. Whenever the NDT inspector showed up with his radiation source, I made damned sure I stayed far away....
  18. arts

The old Chrysler "chicken-coop" alternators (with full field current) driven by a B&S lawnmower engine made pretty good stick welders. And, being DC, meant you could use it with 7018's :)
  19. arts

Can anyone identify this rare tube

Reminds me of a fat touch-button tube :)
  20. arts

Barbie's Garrard 301

Monty, if the table is already that loud, you might as well throw on a slice of this :)
  21. arts

"Carefully Hand-Selected & Matched" Tube Concern

As per @gadget73, this has been going on since the beginning of tubes. A lot of it had to do with generating revenue from parts sales. But some manufacturers, especially in the home audio realm, were/are more interested in performance and reliability. They sourced their tubes from reputable...
  22. arts

Not even close; When it rings, between 100 & 120 Vac at 20 Hz riding over the 48Vdc line.
  23. arts

I was installing some extension sockets when I was a teen; Guess what? Somebody called! Got bit by the ring voltage. Damn, that hurt, and vibrated my eyeballs pretty good too o_O
  24. arts

"Carefully Hand-Selected & Matched" Tube Concern

Nope, I think you've nailed it right there :)
  25. arts

Live Loud Vs. Listening Room Loud

I have mellowed considerably when it comes to my at-home listening levels. It is extremely rare that I ever need to use my second 8x10 cabinet with the SVT when I'm jamming along with the tunes :)
Back
Top Bottom