Search results

1. Johnny_Law

L-Series / 43XX-Series Baffle: Smooth Edge Banding?

Working on a pair of water-damaged 4301Bs. I've had to remove a bunch of rotted MDF around the bottom edges, and the front baffle didn't escape from the damage. After sanding, I can tell that JBL used some kind of flat, thin edge banding around the perimeter of the front baffle. Parts of this...
  2. Johnny_Law

Anyone mess with old AC clock motors? Looking for repair advice.

A friend gave me this sweet giant clock from his exhaust shop. The old strip light was busted so I got an LED one to go inside it. The clock motor doesn't work. The movement is seized - I can free it up and lube it pretty easily I think. But, the motor itself, is a sealed unit. It looks...
  3. Johnny_Law

4301B Stinky-Rat-Pee-Damage Veneer Options?

I took pity on a pair of 4301B cabinets - so far I've picked up drivers and gotten them running, and they sound great. But - they clearly sat for a while in some mixture of water and piss. The veneer itself is fair to OK, there isn't much of any split at the edges, but the stench is horrible...
  4. Johnny_Law

Faint C32 Background Static

My C32 works great, sounds great. BUT it has a very faint background static coming through the speakers that I'm trying to chase down. The kind of background static that's only noticeable when there's nothing playing, e.g., between tracks. Even then it's quiet - but noticeable. I want to get...
  5. Johnny_Law

Technics SL-1650: How do I disassemble the start / size / repeat mechanism?

I searched and couldn't find a good answer. I'd like to disassemble this mechanism to clean and re-lube. But, each rotating plastic piece appears to be installed on a stud that's fixed to the frame. The service manual seems to indicate they just ... slide off, with the stud coming...
  6. Johnny_Law

Veneering: Help Me Get the Edge Right

I've started to enjoy veneering things, but I'm still very much learning the best methods. My question here is: what is the best method of applying veneer so that the edges meet with no glue or seam showing (and have that "waterfall" effect)? The way I've been doing it is to apply the bottom...
  7. Johnny_Law

Hopefully Easy Question: 116H Inverted Dust Cap: Normal Cap or Special?

Does the 116H use just a normal 4 1/8" dust cap flipped upside-down, or is the correct dust cap special in some way? Thanks!
  8. Johnny_Law

Akai AP-207 Strobe Issue ONLY in Single Play - How does this power supply work?

I am chasing an issue with my AP-207, and I don't understand how this power supply circuit works. I'll start by attempting to explain the circuit ... I'll copy the annotated schematic below. The AP-207 is a fully automatic, direct drive table that uses four micro switches. Two of these...
  9. Johnny_Law

Solving a Yamaha RX-V430 Ground Buzz / Hum

My brother's old AV receiver sounded great ... but had a buzzing hum coming from the speakers which became noticeable at really low volumes. The buzz remained the same volume and pitch regardless of input, volume, input mode, etc. It was present via headphones as well...
  10. Johnny_Law

KEF Coda 70 (2001) Info

My brother has had these speakers since new. He reported issues with them - that turned out to be related to his amp - giving me an excuse to dig into them. To my surprise I couldn't find ANY technical / repair / reference info about them online. HiFi Engine does have the promotional...
  11. Johnny_Law

Craigslist Requiring Phone # To Post?

Got this prompt today when trying to post a Craigslist listing. Does this look legit? (Hoping this fits into the "Sense" side of the D&S section ...) I put in my cell # and hit "continue", and then got a text with a verification code from the phone number "206-690-8413" which, after...
  12. Johnny_Law

Sneaking up to my HH Scott 340B restoration ... letters falling off?

This has been on a shelf in the garage for *checks watch* ... 6 years? The first problem is immediately visible as I look at it sitting there. Over time, the faceplate lettering keeps ... falling off. Is this normal?? Each little letter is presumably lying around somewhere within the unit...
  13. Johnny_Law

Op Amp with Disconnected Inputs: Voltage at Input Pins?

Hypothetically, if we've got a +/-15V power supply, and we disconnect pins 2 and 3. Should we be able to measure any voltage on the disconnected pins 2 or 3? Thanks.
  14. Johnny_Law

Bad Audioquest Evergreen RCA Cable ... Repair?

Not sure where to put a question about RCA cables, so "General Audio" seemed like the best spot. I was excited to get this cable as a part of a trade, and I put it in place between my C32 and MC2105. Unfortunately, one channel (L) has issues. It's much quieter than the other channel...
  15. Johnny_Law

MR71 Tuning Behavior - Quickly Pulsing Static?

My favorite station here in LA is 88.5, but every tuner I've used can only pick it up with some static. I was hoping that my MR71 - being one of the most well-regarded tuners - would be able to pick it up without static (it's got new electrolytics but otherwise pretty much original)...
  16. Johnny_Law

Suggestions? Building a 3-side case w/ 45 degree veneer joining (Edit: done)

Building a new case for my 901s' equalizer. (For those unfamiliar, it has 3 sides and slides down from the top to cover the equalizer.) I ordered a veneered "hobby panel" from Home Depot and had it cut into three panels. They couldn't cut at 45 degrees, so I only have straight cuts. Now, I...
  17. Johnny_Law

Sony PS-5550 W&F Issues - Troubleshooting (Solved: bad belt)

My PS-5550 has w&f issues (audible, and measured via the w&f app at around 0.38%) - I am troubleshooting. I've checked the motor (see https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sony-brushed-dc-motor.997159/), cleaned the pots, and installed a new belt. Next up is the thrust bearing which...
  18. Johnny_Law

Sony Brushed DC motor?

I am trying to track down a speed issue with my Sony PS-5550 (audible w&f). Among potential causes, I want to make sure the motor is in the clear. The motor used is a DNF-1000B. This is a brushed DC motor. The rotor's base is buried in a subassembly that doesn't seem to be serviceable ...
  19. Johnny_Law

Yamaha RX-V665: "Bi-Amping". How does it work?

The RX-V665 is one of the newer-gen Yamaha AVRs that allows for "bi-amping" by way of the Surround Back speaker jacks. I am trying to figure out whether this simply splits the Front L/R amplifier output to the Surround Back speaker jacks, or whether the Surround Back jacks ACTUALLY output a...
  20. Johnny_Law

MR71 Transformer (043-344) Extra Coil?

Hi All - Maybe a quick answer to this, but I couldn't find it searching through old threads ... My MR71 is cosmetically challenged, and the transformer case is all rusted out. I picked up a good looking 043-344 from someone parting out an MR71. Going to swap them, I am confused as I've found...
  21. Johnny_Law

Positive Experience buying records from markshan

Bought a few records, they arrived well packed and all as described, cleaned so well they are making me think of buying my own record cleaning rig. Having a great time listening :rockon: Thanks @markshan !
  22. Johnny_Law

C32 Bad Phono Channel - Can't Figure Out Edit: Figured it out

My C32's phono is dead in the right channel, and I've isolated the issue to the input switching board. Here are the measurements (this is the Right channel phono section of the input switching board 045-023). I'm stumped and looking forward to figuring this out. -All transistors were pulled...
  23. Johnny_Law

CX-600U Hum (was a power supply cap) now Left Channel Issue (was an input JFET)

Edit: See post #7 for PS cap fix; Post #8 to begin diagnosing what looks now like a JFET issue I've got my CX-600U on the bench. (My MX-600U is next ... it let the magic genie out a few years ago :bye:.) The CX-600U has problems too. It outputs a very loud hum on both channels via headphone...
  24. Johnny_Law

Yamaha PF-1000 / PF-800 VTF Adjustment Knob ... Fixed.

The PF-1000 & PF-800 have a VTF setting knob (called the "tracking force knob") that is used to set VTF: As I've come to find out, this knob frequently fails by either becoming loose, or by springing back to 0. Here's a video showing the spring-back failure: Upon disassembly, it becomes...
  25. Johnny_Law

Experience / recommendations about Sumiko trade-in / trade-up or re-tip?

I have two Blue Point cartridges (a p-mount and a regular mount, this one confusingly not labeled "No.2", although I have not been able to find any info about a non-No.2 half-inch mount) ... the p-mount cart's stylus has drifted off-center, and the half-inch cart's stylus has lost its tip. I'll...
Back
Top Bottom