Search results

1. greg s

Best subwoofer for mmg opinions

I was considering dual energy 8 inch subwoofers. Small footprint and very tight bass. Or maybe sunfire but after reading a bit I found out that sunfire sued and lost a lawsuit against energy for basically the sub I was linking at. Just don't want to make any hasty desicions
  2. greg s

Subwoofers under 150 new or used for music help

I'm looking for opinions on good subwoofers for music use only. They will be paired with magnepan mmg's. They will be ran out of a outlaw audio icbm-1 bass controller crossed at 60 hz. The room is 14x25 in dimensions. I don't like bic or Polk subwoofer quality control. Thank you Greg s
  3. greg s

Yes, I love my Bose 401s

If you enjoy them that's what matters. And yes I agree that speakers that make the music you enjoy sound bad are not really all that great. If thats what this hobby was about we would all have something by sound design in the living room.
  4. greg s

Best subwoofer for mmg opinions

I'm looking at buying some new mmg's. For the price I can't see many downsides except lack of adequate bass. As I have her had a chance to hear a set of Maggie's and I won't until I do a home trial ( closest showroom is 5 hours away ). I'd like options on what subwoofers would pair best with...
  5. greg s

Which is better for 2 channel music

Its either or not both. I plan to bi amp hence the 2 amplifiers.
  6. greg s

Yes I have been looking hard at the mmg's. I have 2 small 8 inch energy sub's that would pair up pretty nicely too
  7. greg s

Magnepan MMG

I'm also considering some mmg's I'll be running them with either a Yamaha m50 or m60 or both if they can be biamped I havnt seen any info on that feature being availiabl. Would that be adequate or no for power. The m50 specs say it makes 200 watts before clipping at 4 ohms and e m60 makes a...
  8. greg s

Always forget about the in home trial. Vintage doesn't offer that
  9. greg s

The 4 feet from the wall is an issue but I'm sure I could work that out. And ive heard a lot of great things about the mmg. But I've also heard of needs a sub to reinforce the lower end and I'd like to avoid that.
  10. greg s

I am considering an upgrade to my first set of new speakers. Previously I have always bought vintage or junk I then upgraded heavily. I have narrowed it down to 2 different speakers in the 1000 dollar a pair category though I would be happy with suggestions. Requirements were 2 channel music...
  11. greg s

Which Do You Prefer, Black or Silver?

I don't care particularly as long as its all the same color. Providing the sound quality is the same
  12. greg s

Amp Choice

I agree if its music your listening to the sanui or the onkyo leaning heavier to the sansui. For surround sound I'm not fond of any of them. Just my humble opinion
  13. greg s

AX-900U opinions, experience?

I have an ax500u and I used it as my main stereo amp for some time. Great sounding unit if the ax900 sounds half as good it would be a steal and it has a lot more power. As a side note the u stands for USA as that model was only sold in e united states and Canada all others are just call ax 900
  14. greg s

Polk rtia7 or definitive bp8040st

I'm considering upgrading to my first set of band new speakers. They will be used only for music in 2 channel mode. Power isn't a huge issue I run a Yamaha m50 and a Yamaha m60 for power amps. Yes I know not giant amps but more than adequate for either of these speakers. What am I looking for...
  15. greg s

FOUND A YAMAHA AMP AND PREAMP !!!

That is awesome. I'd love to have another m60 and I'd really like to try out that pre
  16. greg s

Vintage Desopren Systems Loudspeakers - a/k/a "Unusual Speakers"

I have very little experience with tubes sadly. The only tube item I have in house is an old eico hf81 I just got serviced before selling on consignment. I havnt tested it yet so I may end up buying it if it sounds nice enough
  17. greg s

Dragon found hiding in shed !

My shed has a lot of random audio gear but sadly no dragons. It does have an sr2a and a ta3a that I need to send off for repair. Close but no cigar
  18. greg s

In lieu of a Pioneer SX-1010, a 939. Pros? Cons?

I think you made a wise choice. I would have done the 939 over the 2240 but you found what you really wanted instead. For my final 2 cents I would have skipped over all of them and restored the 1250
  19. greg s

Carver ct-3 and yamaha cx-600u shootout

I wish I would have taken screen shots of the comparison on this crappy little spl meter I have. Its not super accurate but when you test both against each other on the same measuring equipment it comes close enough. But the carver produced a far flatter sound on the microphone when running a...
  20. greg s

Yes it's going to take some getting used to, its very uncolored and open. I'm not sure how it would compare to some other Yamaha offerings but I'll find out eventually. I'm looking to try out my brothers adcom preamp he is trying to get rid of to see how I compares
  21. greg s

The Yamaha had the caps replaced if I remember correctly. The carver is likely all original
  22. greg s

I've been a dedicated Yamaha guy since I have started this crazy hobby. I realize they are not the best or greatest at anything but they are very reliable and consistent. They always sound pretty nice. I listen to anything from jazz to metal and I had no complaints. Recently however I decided...
  23. greg s

Hell I think they look outstanding the way he found them. I'm just curious what he intends to drive them full time with.
  24. greg s

Best 16 pages of anything ive read this week
  25. greg s

ADS L620's

I have a set of those I also found at goodwill. Excellent speaker. Tight bass but not as much as of expect from a 10 inch woofer. But outstanding highs and mids. I'd look into working on the crossovers.
Back
Top Bottom