Search results

1. BillJGW

Rush: A Musical Journey

Geddy is a very underrated bass player IMO.
  2. BillJGW

Super Bowl 2018

I haven't watched the NFL for a couple or 3 years now but I'm really glad the Eagles won. Absolutely can't stand Brady or Belichick.
  3. BillJGW

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

I've heard many bad ones that I didn't personally own, but of those that I actually had in my place over the years the Heresy 1's stand out. Very disappointing with honking mids, screechy blistering highs, and nonexistent (for their size) low end. Very fatiguing. Bought them new in the late...
  4. BillJGW

Where in the hobby would you like to go in 2018?

Goal no. 2 is nearly in the bag. I snagged a VSE (Vacuum State Electronics) Level 7-modded Sony 5400 CD/SACD player w/Uber clock for a steal. I didn't put the price here as I'm not sure if it's OK to do so. I will be getting it later this week. I'm really excited about this. I've had...
  5. BillJGW

Quick Poll

I too am restricted in volume levels now as I live in an apartment after having to sell my house due to financial reasons a few years back. Now, most of my listening is peaking out at 77dB at the most. Usually it's much less. When I had my own house, I'd let her rip with peaks hitting over...
  6. BillJGW

No one wants big speakers anymore

Same here. I usually put it this way: Big speakers, big sound.
  7. BillJGW

Anybody here watch the Grammys?

^^^^Same here, except I'm older than you are and, therefore, am a crusty old fart.
  8. BillJGW

Quad ESL 57

Yes, audiomagnate, you are totally spot on about how to integrate a sub with the 57s. Way back when in 1980, a stereo buddy of mine and I lived together for awhile. We combined our systems then. He owned the pair of Quads and he did the research and decided to buy a Hartley 24" driver. We...
  9. BillJGW

List of gear that can not be used with a 4 Ohm load.

This was all many, many years ago. My first piece of high-end stereo gear was a Marantz 2270 back in 1977. My speakers were Klipsch Heresys. My buddy and I moved in together (we were in college at the time). He also had a pair of Heresys. These were rated at 8 ohms. They sounded as they...
  10. BillJGW

Klipsch Heresy I Upgrade Recommendations?

^^^^^ This
  11. BillJGW

Advice please. Headphones for "safe" listening.

For your casual listening, I can also recommend the Meze 99 Classics at around $300. I have a pair. They are closed-back, comfortable for hours (to me anyway and I wear glasses when using them). Use them with an Audio GD C2 11th Anniv. amp.
  12. BillJGW

“Your Kung Fu is no good” I am laughing my ass off

A little off-topic but I couldn't resist. @onwardjames, back in the day, some friends and I had a similar drinking game when watching Star Trek TOS. For instance, whenever Scotty mentioned anything about the dilithium crystals, you had to take a healthy swig. Same with Kirk saying "Bones..."...
  13. BillJGW

The Punisher (Netflix)

I finished Season 1 on Saturday and really liked it except for one thing. Frank had more lives than a damn cat! Still, I'm looking forward to the next season.
  14. BillJGW

Roseanne Again Noooo!

I'm so out of it I didn't even realize there was a reboot. I agree with FONSguy. "Roseanne is just a loudmouth has been these years."
  15. BillJGW

Best 80's 200WPC power amp?

For Threshold, there are also the Stasis-1 monoblocks and Stasis-2 stereo amp(s). They also put out the 4000 back in the late '70s.
  16. BillJGW

What audio equipment did you just swap?

Polk SDA SRS 2s out (sold), VMPS 626s in temporarily until I get my KEF 107s refurb'd in a couple of months.
  17. BillJGW

Where in the hobby would you like to go in 2018?

One of my goals has already been accomplished. I sold my pair of Polk SDA SRS 2s this AM. I'm getting my KEF 107s totally refurbished in a couple of months when I get my tax refund check. Next on the list is upgrading my source. At the moment, it's an Oppo 105. I have an iron in the fire...
  18. BillJGW

Some thoughts on buying headphones

Head-Fi is OK as long as one is able to cut through the BS. Folks over there go on and on about soundstage from various HPs. C'mon, from HPs, really? They also go on long diatribes about this or that audiophile term. Just take a look at how long some of the threads are, they go on for...
  19. BillJGW

How many vintage receivers do you have?

Just one, and some may not even consider it vintage, an Onkyo TX-870. It's a back-up in case one of my separates goes on the fritz.
  20. BillJGW

Whats the OLDEST and NEWEST movie you own?

Don't know about my oldest. Newest is Alien Covenant on BR.
  21. BillJGW

The Punisher (Netflix)

Wow, this show is great!!!:thumbsup: I love government conspiracy stuff, like Shooter with Mark Wahlberg. Watched the first (3) episodes late this AM, will be watching more later today for sure.
  22. BillJGW

Songs that REQUIRE full volume.

Looking at all these was like a trip down memory lane. For me, it's just about anything by AC/DC (esp. the Bon Scott era), same with Rush (up 'till about 1982), and Ted "If it's too loud, you're too old" Nugent. All at 11.
  23. BillJGW

2018 New Years Audio Resolutions

Get my KEF 107s restored. I've been waiting to do this for a LONG time. Also, funds permitting, acquire a different, i.e., music-only CD/SACD player; was planning on having my Oppo 105 modded but there are fewer and fewer places doing mods on this unit these days. Finally, selling my Polk SDA...
  24. BillJGW

The first song you listened to in 2018?

The one and only...Ted Nugent: Stranglehold.
  25. BillJGW

Things that can't be un-heard

When I owned a pair of Stax SR5 headphones, playing The Twilight Zone off 2112 by Rush, there would be a point in the song where Geddy Lee's voice would center at the back of my head, then go down the back of my neck. The only other HPs that did this, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, were...
Back
Top Bottom