Search results

1. JRhoBurton

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Another local ad. This might be a step sideways. "A pair of JBL R103 Speakers for sale. In great condition as they show little wear, and produce great sound! One notable detail is that the original tweeters have been replaced with brand new high quality horn tweeters. Overall a great pair...
  2. JRhoBurton

All Things Music. Past, Present and Future.....and more

Thanks for your comments. Some of what you mention is new to me. I will investigate.
  3. JRhoBurton

Just read this on speaker series wiring

I can't find confirmation, and don't recall where I read it. My takeaway at the time was that it's a good thing because it smooths our the response a bit. You won't see multiple resonant peaks on an impedance curve if you have 8 identical woofers in a box. I suppose another factor is that no...
  4. JRhoBurton

Is that a change up for you? Klemmer is good, yes?
  5. JRhoBurton

Grateful Dead Hour KRCL 90.9 FM Kenwood KR-5150 On the recently completed DIY active 2-ways.
  6. JRhoBurton

Getting into compact cassette for playback... Advice on suggested features and some available options

Dolby B would be sufficient. Factory recorded tapes use B or no noise reduction. HX Pro is variable bias and is used during recording. You don't need it during playback, even if the tape was recorded with it. Some quality prerecorded tapes are on chrome, but they are always (or almost always)...
  7. JRhoBurton

Just read this on speaker series wiring

I think it's a law of physics that coupled resonators (eg multiple woofers in a box with shared back space) cannot have the same resonant frequency, even if their properties are identical.
  8. JRhoBurton

Iron Butterfly Metamorphosis Recent walk around the lake.
  9. JRhoBurton

I was listening to Living the Circle of Life (indigenous music) this morning on KRCL, so it's appropriate I found this thrifting today. Kicking Woman Singers
  10. JRhoBurton

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Local ad. This could be viable depending on the crossover, but it's likely not modified to match the driver changes. "Altec Lansing speakers with 8" woofers. The mids and tweeters have been upgraded to Polks. The mids are compartmentalized. Look and sound great! 16"d x 11"h x 10.5"d"
  11. JRhoBurton

4" midrange driver replacement

What crossover upgrade did you do?
  12. JRhoBurton

This just in... The Who Thirty Years of Maximum R&B Live R&B? I guess it doesn't matter what you call it,
  13. JRhoBurton

Small DIY 2-way forming with JBL & C/V! drivers

Thinking about grills, I checked out PE and saw these: They looked to be close to a perfect fit, so I got a pair. Not bad! They are thin and would have hit the SEAS domes so I swapped in the Vifa horns first and adjusted the XO settings. Might set them out a bit for more clearance but...
  14. JRhoBurton

I got a couple of pairs of additional tweeters after I started working on these. See this thread… https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/holiday-fun-swapping-tweeters-in-diy-speakers.1018098/ I probably should have done this as one thread, not two. Anyway, after brief listening, I...
  15. JRhoBurton

Do you mean gone from AK? Edit: never mind, saw your earlier reply. Glad you’re still around.
  16. JRhoBurton

GD Hour Listening on the now-running active 2-ways (on left).
  17. JRhoBurton

These are running. I am using SEAS H253 tweeters. Crossed at 3k for initial testing. I set them by ear to -5 db relative to the woofers, for now. Biamped via the DCX2496 and a couple of amps that were already set up (Dynaco or “Dynacoid”). No EQ or delays on anything. It’s a coincidence...
  18. JRhoBurton

Today's JAZZ playlist

Not many thrift store runs lately, but I made one today and found a nice record. John Klemmer Hush
  19. JRhoBurton

What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

Dvorak 9th New World
  20. JRhoBurton

Carmina Burana Cleveland, Tilson Thomas Columbia 1R1 6357 Starting to apply finish to the small active 2-ways.
  21. JRhoBurton

most creative album covers

Dominique Blanc-Francard Ailleurs Sorry about the sticker, but it will stay where it is. Illustration by Nicole Claveloux
  22. JRhoBurton

Grateful Dead Hour on FM
  23. JRhoBurton

Vinyl only spin list

American Gramophone Sampler III Dual 1009, Shure R47 EDT
Back
Top Bottom