Search results

1. dividebytube

What is the Most Beautiful SS Sound???

my late 80s Threshold gear has been a game changer. Before those pieces, I was a 'tube only' guy, but these vintage Nelson Pass have forever changed my mind about solid state. Now tube gear sounds strange and muddy to me!
  2. dividebytube

ClassDAudio Amps - Intro

I've recently built a Helder HiFi '20w' Tripath amplifier based on the TA2020 chip. I preferred it over my ol' DIY Paradise Charlize amplifier. All you need is a 12V/2.5A+ (like a computer accessory) power supply, a small enclosure, RCA jacks, speaker jacks and you're off to the races. Very...
  3. dividebytube

Newark Rocks

Newark is excellent, as is Mouser and Digikey. I've also ordered bits and pieces from Allied Electronics. I made most of a tube preamplifier using their transformers, tube sockets, chokes and capacitors. Their search function is a little clumsy, but great prices! http://www.alliedelec.com/
  4. dividebytube

Dynaco ST80

I've been surprised by the Dynaco PAT-4 and the ST-80. A simple rebuild with newer parts has exceeded my expectations of these old 'boat anchors'. Not uber-audiophile, they are still pleasant and great bang-for-the-buck gear.
  5. dividebytube

Dynaco ST-80 refurbishment - nice little amplifier!

After my unexpected success with my Dynaco PAT-4 rebuild, I next decided to tackle the venerable Dynaco ST-80. This was a simple rebuild and for a $44 amplifier with $50 worth of parts, I'm pretty much overjoyed with the results. Dynaco early solid-state gear gets (at least to me) an unfair...
  6. dividebytube

Upgrading a Dynaco PAT-4 - pix inside

thanks! I'll look into it.
  7. dividebytube

Why do I always see so many Adcom amps for sale? Should I beware?

my old man bought a used Adcom 555 preamp / 555 amplifier combo some 10-12 years ago. They're still running everyday in his stereo. The only problem that arose was the power amp switch got flaky and needed to be replaced.
  8. dividebytube

Upgrading a Dynaco PAT-4 - pix inside

In my quest of ever increasing craziness, I decided to upgrade a Dynaco PAT-4 preamplifier. I first owned one of these vintage solid-state preamplifiers back in 1990 and the sound, even with a tube amplifier, was certainly nothing to remember - harsh, flat and very unpleasant with any speaker...
  9. dividebytube

any thoughts on the KEF Q-60 loudspeaker?

from my blog: "Treble is very smooth, though lacking in ultimate extension and detail. The Q60s bass is very nice, perhaps going to 50Hz before rolling sharply off. Of course I have them tucked close to the wall so I'm getting a little help there since the lower frequencies are just a bit...
  10. dividebytube

So I got a Bottlehead Seduction

heh - after years of not believing the hype, I went and bought an already assembled Bottlehead Seduction phono preamplifier. The reason for my purchase was to check out the 6DJ8 as a phono tube. I've mostly been a 12AX7 user and was curious to hear the difference. The Deduction had the C4S...
  11. dividebytube

200wpc monoblocks?

For a sub, pick up a big beefy solid-state amp. No budget concerns? Krell, Threshold, Mark Levinson, Rowland, etc. But honestly an old Aragon or Adcom would do well in this position. For those JBLs you certainly won't need 200Ws of tube power - of course you could buy an ARC D-250 and be...
  12. dividebytube

Eico HF-85

what is the input impedance of the amplifier you are using with the Eico? This would determine the bass roll-off point. With a little math, you can determine what size output capacitor to use. if you are complaining about thinness, or just want to oomph the bass up - well you can always use...
  13. dividebytube

any thoughts on the KEF Q-60 loudspeaker?

Back when I first headed off to college, I read about the KEF Q60 speakers in Stereophile. I lusted after a pair but didn't have the dinero back then! I've recently bought a pair of Q30s and a pair of old C-75s, both using the Uni-Q driver, and really enjoy them. The small 6.5" driver Q30s...
  14. dividebytube

What is a single ended amplifier?

for a guitar amp example - check out the schematic for the Fender Champ amplifier - using a single 6BQ5 tube. This is a perfect example of a SE (pentode) amplifier. In a nutshell, push pull requires a phase splitter to split the signal into + and - portions. This signal is fed into each...
  15. dividebytube

what power amp do you have or had

Since '89 I had: Dynaco 70, Scott LK-48, Dynaco Mark IV monoblocks, Marantz 250, H-K Citation V, some Eico 6BQ5 integrated, a Heath 6BQ5 integrated, Samson 120, an Onkyo integrated, back to a Dynaco 70, Dynaco Mark IIIs, DIY Paradise Charlize, and finally a Threshold S/500
  16. dividebytube

Battle of the double triodes

+1 - a great dual triode. Of course it is most like a 5687 than a 6922 type. I would try scoring some more 6N1Ps as they've worked great in my old preamplifier.
  17. dividebytube

Pics of your listening space

a picture from a few months ago - UREI 813A speakers, Threshold S/500 amplifier, a Threshold FET-10/HL linestage and my transformer coupled K&K RAKK DAC. I've since gone analog - adding a Threshold FET-10/PC phono stage, a VPI HW19 MKIII with Rega RB300 tonearm, removed the DAC and replaced...
  18. dividebytube

1/2 watt for a 1 wat resistor question

a little ohms law is in order here ... current flowing through the resistor is I=V/R plug in the numbers 5.2/470 = .011A (ie 11mA). the power being dissipated by the resistor is P=IV plug in the numbers 5.2 X .011 = .05Ws a half (.5) watt resistor should be fine provided you don't get a...
  19. dividebytube

my new Threshold FET-10/PC phono preamplifier - pic inside

ok - sorry I'm late but here is a pic of the internals of the FET-10/PC
  20. dividebytube

who knows... it is actually a copper trace, but gold is laid on top of the trace. No degradation from oxidation? It certainly looks cool. :D Perreaux did the same thing on some of their 80s units too. here is a pic of the insides of my FET-10/HL linestage to give you an idea
  21. dividebytube

adcom GTP tuner/preamp

I used to own the GTP-400 and it was a fine preamplifier. The tuner, although not the best in class, is suitable for daily listening.
  22. dividebytube

I'll take some inside pics someday soon - the PCB has gold plated traces!
  23. dividebytube

Making the amp faster ?

I suppose reducing the capacitor value would raise the bass cut-off level, giving the impression of 'speed'. However to me a 'fast' amplifier needs a 'fast' power supply that can react quickly to dynamic changes in the music. A nice low impedance choke and some good film capacitors can...
  24. dividebytube

Cables for a tube system?

for speaker cables, I like to use ones with McIntosh style lugs - they work well for the small terminal strips on vintage tube amplifiers. Of course the 'McIntosh' adapters that allow you to use banana jacks are also very good - I have them mounted on the back of my UREIs to plug in my Canare...
  25. dividebytube

I got the Threshold in last week - I let it warm up and played a few tracks. Very neutral (as far as I can tell) without any prominent frequency being overhyped. Bass and dynamics are amazing with a nice smooth but detailed top-end. The unit never shouts 'look at me', much like the rest of my...
Back
Top Bottom