Search results

1. nailzgun

Power for Kappa 9s

So I'm on my second set of Kappa 9's and have just purchased a new (to me) pair of Threshold SA-12e's to drive them. My first set I drove with 1 and then 2 Threshold S500s and they sounded great. When I got sold the 9's I also had a pair of Ren 90's that replaced them. These were much easier to...
  2. nailzgun

Another go at Kappa 9's and a couple crossover opinions needed

Absolutely! At minimum refreshing the NPE caps essential as they deteriorate with age significantly and when the do resistance increases thereby altering the sound by reducing output. This will have the effect of unbalancing the speakers so sound images will wander across the stage. Replacement...
  3. Home Pic 9 Kappa

Home Pic 9 Kappa

4. nailzgun

The last pair of 9's that I had I just swapped capacitors and chokes for new ones in the same size and stuffed them back in. I also had a poor soldering iron and ended up redoing much of the crossovers because of this. This time I'm thinking to build an external daughter board for the low-pass...
  5. nailzgun

Well I will post pictures later today, but I picked up the 9's yesterday and after a 14 1/2 hour track behind the wheel my daughter helped me move these to my basement toy room. I moved the Ren's out of the way and plugged in the amps and turned on the music. Being late I was not able to wind...
  6. nailzgun

Hi all, its been a while since I last logged in here and contributed. But I have just agreed to purchase a set of Kappa 9's and am starting to plan the rebuild as they are mostly original from what the owner says. I have done this before with Kappa 9's so I am familiar with the usual concerns...
  7. nailzgun

Anyone changed out RS 2.5 tweeter cap?

Personally I would swap the caps. The originals are old, and since they were used cap technology has improved significantly. My choice, and what I used in my RS 9 Kappas are Mundorf Supremes. Alternately you can use Obbligato Golds. Both of which provide an exceptional improvement in sound quality.
  8. nailzgun

What amp couldn't drive your Infinity's

Prior to refurbing the crossovers in my Kappa 9's I would regularly be replacing blown fuses in my Threshold S 500s. (thats 1000ws per channel at 4ohms for the pair) Thats right I ran 2 bi-amping the K9s and would still blow fuses. Took awhile to figure out the 15mH chokes where the problem not...
  9. nailzgun

Experience wanted, Renaissance 90 xover refurb

Hi All, I chronicled some years ago the rebuild of my Kappa 9's. I am now contemplating having a go at my Renaissance 90s. But first I would like to know if anyone has done this yet and what the experience with improvement or not is. I would be most interested in hear about upgraded Caps in...
  10. nailzgun

Amp for Kappa 9's

Threshold S/xxx series or SA/x series. Either way its a good value ratio as amps will be about the same range cost wise as the speakers. And Nelson Pass sound is to amps what Arnie was to speakers.
  11. nailzgun

Power for Kappas

Kappa 9's - Threshold SA2's Kappa 7's - Threshold 400A Kappa 6's - Threshold S150 II Renaisance 90's - Threshold S250 II
  12. nailzgun

Kappa 9--What Was Arnie Up To?

Sorry for jumping in a little late, but in my Kappa9 journey I have come happily to rest with totally rebuilt cross-overs same values but modern upgraded (big time) parts. Especially the 15mH choke. Big problems in the Kappas as these were particularily prone to problems. As to driving them...
  13. nailzgun

Kappa 9 emits down

Hopefully you are good with a soldering iron and have a great deal of patients. You will need to lift the circuit board away from the main board that holds the everything together. Took me an hour of fiddling the first time i did it. Good luck, and while you've got it appart you might want to...
  14. nailzgun

600 miles for Infinity....

Absolutely worth it! I did round trip of almost 1,500 miles to get my Rens 6 years ago. And would do it again! Enjoy!
  15. nailzgun

More kappa 9 amp questions

I've driven my K9s with a variety of amps but concluded a couple years ago that Class A big iron was the way to go. I have run them with Threshold SA/2 monoblocks ever since. Until recently I would agree with the 'hit' statement until I had a bit of work done to the amps. Stock these amps...
  16. nailzgun

Kappa 8 resto-mod(need help)

When I started to restore my 9's I took a look at the option of these crossovers as a replacement. Made sense, smoothed out impedance, less components and fewer crossover points for the 9's. Am I ever glad I didn't go this route. In rebuilding the crossovers, I chose to stick as close as...
  17. nailzgun

Infinity Kappa 9 vs Kappa 8...Pros and Cons?

I must agree about the keeper line. After a comprehensive rehab program I would be really hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker than my K9s. I have tried a range of amps with them and settled with SA/2 Thresholds to drive them. I have done the bi-amp experiments and seem to always come...
  18. nailzgun

KAPPA 9 (original) vs factory Updated models

While they are a challenge to drive, particularly if the inductors that act as the short are actually shorting, updating the crossovers with new chokes in the bottom end area will keep them very safe. Even my Thresholds were no mach for shorted chokes! These speakers are worth the expense of...
  19. nailzgun

Ren 90 trouble

Well after a satisfying period of no issues with my speakers, it seems there is trouble in Ren land. I noticed this morning that when I played the speakers at their normal Saturday houseclean level their was significant distortion from the high level side of one of the speakers. Also as the...
  20. nailzgun

Kappa 8's

My recommendation is to do both. If you pull the woofer first then remove the screws onthe back, the cross-over comes out through the woofer quite nicely! and with plenty of wire to work with.
  21. nailzgun

Looking for amp recommendations. Help me spend some $$$

I would suggest Threshold S/XXX amps. A single S/500 or a pair of S/300s would fit in the budget. In my opinion they are better sounding then the used Pass Labs with the same ratings and they would be 1/3 to 1/3 the price. To my mind the best value of the "Super Amps". And they won't run out of...
  22. nailzgun

Disappearing Emits - is this normal?

Hi Jes, I had the same issue with my K9's. Like you I drive my speakers with big overkill amps (Threshold) and when I started looking at the crossovers as the problem I briefly debated replacing the polyswitches. I recognized that the likelyhood of damaging the Emits with the setup I have is...
  23. nailzgun

Kappa 9's finally right!!!

I wasn't particularly mindful of the DCR. Except with the big Erse I put in the low pass. I really did not want the Resistance of this to drop any lower! I sure have noticed the improvement though.
  24. nailzgun

Kappa 9's finally right!!!

Last observation for the moment. I got the Semit and emit portion of the cross-over upgraded to the Mundorf/Obbligato caps I picked up. I ran some pink noise through the speakers for a bit to start burning them in, but had to take a break cleaning to have a listen. All I can say is "Holy S*&%."...
Back
Top Bottom