Search results

1. macgolf

Philco Model G1813s Console

A separate tube powered speaker SA-2000 would be required to make it stereo. Yup, electrostatic tweeters enclosed in the console. I can't tell if that has a Glaser-Steers changer or if it's a VM. Philcos were not produced in the quantities that others were, so documentation could be limited. The...
  2. macgolf

March Madness - College Basketball 2024

Congrats Darcy! Thanks @313guy for running the bracket again. I think in the back of my mind was Purdue doing a repeat of UVA from a few years ago. Uconn was the best team and it's good to see that can still happen. No allegiance to NCST but that group was a lot of fun to watch from the ACC...
  3. macgolf

Speaker I.D. please

Nice find and I hope you're able to obtain them. I have 2 pair of Coral 3-ways(not of this caliber though) and feel they do excel with tube power.
  4. macgolf

KEF? Fausto Alto mystery speakers

I had a pair of Reference 103.2's. Do some research as the 8" drivers can and do suffer from cone sag. If these were made 10 years later that may or may not apply to these. I think the 103.2 drivers would have benefitted from a larger cab so maybe that was the idea. Sorry I can't help with more...
  5. macgolf

Wards Airline Console

Nice find and save! I have a 62 MW console with a SE 6GW8 receiver, made by Wells-Gardner. Mine also has a VM 1200 series changer. Mine has the original 3 way Quam speaker set up. They aren't anything special but they get the job done. Yours looks to have had a horn and woofer combo. Good luck...
  6. macgolf

Looking forward to the Iowa State/Illinois contest though it doesn't tip-off until 9:10 here. We'll see if I can stay awake till the end.
  7. macgolf

10w class a amp

Perhaps this one? It is available from a variety of vendors with or without meters. I don't recall any of the owners reporting modding it. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1969-hood-amp-repro.794345/ Here is a class D chip amp that some members are modding...
  8. macgolf

Magnavox Stereo Console Identification

Congrats on the nice find. It looks like you've already done much homework on your console. There is a lot of info here on the Magnavox 8300 series SE(Single Ended) amplifier and the changer. 63 - 64 would have been a time for many tube amplifier manufacturers to transition over to transistor...
  9. macgolf

I should probably screenshot my temporary status in 1st place after 8 games. Picked the right upsets, so far, but it's a long tourney. Picked an all B1G final. Wanted to go with UConn for the repeat but that's hard to do. Looking forward to the rest of the weekends games.
  10. macgolf

No more Santana bashing! ;)

Ken, Here is a photo of the inside of one of my Coral BX-300's. Not a great pic but gives you an idea how the 2H-15A is wired, in that speaker. Looking forward to reading your listening impressions.
  11. macgolf

No more Santana bashing! ;)

Ken, Can you post a photo of what you have? Yes, a 2.0 UF cap will get you real close to the crossover range originally in the Santanas. You can also go to a 1.0uf and crossover higher since the 420A is a "full range" driver. Here's one from the web since I can't seem to find close ups of mine...
  12. macgolf

New Guy Intro from Central Illinois

Welcome to AK, Clayton, from Bloomington, IL. Enjoy your stay.
  13. macgolf

Popular songs with choirs prominently featured

1 more from my previously shorter list. One of my favorite songs from the late 80's. Mike & the Mechanics "The Living Years"
  14. macgolf

Wow, what a blast from the past! Don't know how long it's been since I've heard this but it made my day! Thanks for posting it.
  15. macgolf

Other than my 2nd favorite Rolling Stones song, none of these were on my list of songs that fit this thread. Good stuff!
  16. macgolf

A recent revival of a TDN thread lead me back to "Black and White" by Three Dog Night. I'm not sure that song would be the same without the children's choir. Are there popular songs that you enjoy, that also featured choirs and wouldn't be the same without them?
  17. macgolf

Musical Artists Name-Checked in Song Lyrics

Three Dog Night - "Never Been to Spain" "Well I've never been to England, but I kind of like the Beatles"
  18. macgolf

Console tube amp?

My 62 MW Airline sports a VM 1200 changer(like shown) and a WG SE 6GW8 receiver. The MW tubed units of the early 60's I've come across, all had 6BQ5 or 6GW8 receivers vs amp/pre-tuner combinations. That doesn't rule out finding something different, just my experiences. The one in the photos is...
  19. macgolf

"A worn out tape of Chris Ledoux..." - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) - Garth Brooks
  20. macgolf

"Music knows it is and always will Be one of the things that life just won't quit But here are some of music's pioneers That time will not allow us to forget, no For there's Basie, Miller, Satchmo And the king of all, Sir Duke And with a voice like Ella's ringing out There's no way the band can...
  21. macgolf

"Only Want to be With You" - Hootie and the BlowFish Dylan alonq with some costly lyrics. "American Pie" - Don McLean The Byrds probably many more
  22. macgolf

Console receiver ID

Those large control knobs remind me of some Zeniths that I've come across. Thinking mid 60's SS due to length, style of console. All just a guess unless better photos can be attained.
  23. macgolf

FINALLY, onwardjames gets his tube amp!!!

Congrats OJ! Tubes and EV's, an excellent combination. I was pulling for you when I saw you had posted on that FS thread. That was a great deal. Looking forward to reading about more of your listening experiences with your new tube amp. Enjoy!
  24. macgolf

Montgomery-Ward Airline WG-2854A Console Stereo

If you haven't already discovered, the WG in the model number stands for Wells-Gardner. This may aid in your search for schematics and info. WG made many receivers for MW as well as other chain store models. My 62 MW console has a similar VM 1200 and a SE 6GW8 WG receiver. Store brands don't get...
  25. macgolf

Motorolla cantonesian priced too high ?

With consoles(large, cannot easily be shipped, many cabinet styles) the determining pricing factor is location. I've seen completed sales for much lesser consoles go for more in California. There is an all tube Motorola w/Vibrasonic, in a Drexell cab, locally for $150. It has been listed for...
Back
Top Bottom