Search results

1. D

Vintage Belt Drive Speed Accuracy

The shaft of the bearing was sort of rough and dark. 2000grit paper shined it up real nice. Still need to Clean the pots. Thanks all for the help. Oh, in case anyone is interested, the bearing is 5/32 in diameter.
  2. D

So, I lucked out and found the ball bearing.:banana: Lubed the bearing, put it back together. Seemed a little better. Put talc on the belt. A little better still. Then found remnants of the old belt stuck to the rim on the platter where the belt rides. Cleaned it off with a little...
  3. D

Silly mistakes with vinyl

Just did loose the ball bearing from my SL-23. That has got to qualify.
  4. D

Thanks for all the responses. I intend to: Put talc on the belt Clean and lube the bearing Clean the pots I already polished the shaft with 2000 grit paper and while doing that somehow LOST THE BALL BEARING:tears:
  5. D

Well, took the bearing apart and it's grease in there. Looks like moly paste to me, dark grey/black, a little thinner than vaseline. John
  6. D

How steady should the speed be on old belt drive tt's? Just the slightest bit of back and forth on a Technics SL -23. New belt installed. Is it clean the pots time?
  7. D

SL-1900 cueing

Gonna go to the hobby shop in search of that today. Thanks, John
  8. D

SL-1900 cueing

Well :music: Shortened the spring a little and everything is working pretty good. The spring tension is a pretty fiddly thing. This SL-1900 is back from the dead. Thanks Boreas and Number13. John
  9. D

SL-1900 cueing

So, Took it apart and shortened the spring a little more. I think that the washer was contacting some of the linkage in there. Now cueing is a little fast going down. I think maybe shorten the spring a little more? Thanks
  10. D

SL-1900 cueing

Hey, Thought it was perfect. Now it works great auto, but sluggish lifting in manual. I put in an e-clip, washer and a spring. Had to cut down the spring some. Maybe too much spring? Maybe recharge the lift with silicone oil? In any event I'll have to take it all apart again. This...
  11. D

SL-1900 cueing

Just now heading out to try what you have suggested. I'll check in later. Thanks for the advice.
  12. D

SL-1900 cueing

Yeah, thought so. Looks like the spring and the clip and maybe a washer are missing. Maybe these parts are generic to Technics? Thanks for the help.
  13. D

An Empire of granite: Tales of custom plinth/base building

Really nice. I like the way the edges on the granite are done like the edges on the turntable. Beautiful.
  14. D

SL-1900 cueing

Hello All, Just got a Technics SL-1900 with a cueing issue. Took it apart and the cam that is the usual problem is working fine. The issue was the cueing rod frozen. Worked it up and down and now raises at the end of the record and manually but won't go down. It looks like someone has...
  15. D

SMAC February 2012

Those look like Barzilay cabinets redone. Nice. I wish I was there to hear them. John
  16. D

SMAC January 2012

Salk Sound Hello, I'm John Fallows. I'm an SMAC member, also AK obviously. Apologies for not being too active in either group, but there is a reason. 4 years ago, I lucked out and landed the job of my dreams. A hands on job at Salk Sound. I get to work on great speakers every day...
  17. D

Record cleaning in Detroit?

The last time that I was at Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, records cleaned on a VPI Typhoon. $1.50 per, with a nice sleeve too. A couple years ago so call I guess before you go truckin' out there.
  18. D

Jvc ql-a7

Hello, I just started messin' with a QL-5, and the wires in the tonearm are microscopic. Your arm looks similar except for the automatic stuff. I'll bet something is intermittent there. The counter weight droop concerns me too. Anyhow, Happy New Year!
  19. D

Live from Livonia: Our intrepid reporter Wajobu

Well, at around 12:00 or so, these guys simply went into orbit. Something like, "We're already over, but we'd like to really rock one out for you, some Santana as requested." And then, some of the most incredible music I've ever heard happened. And that's by anyone anywhere. The stars...
  20. D

Steely Dan album purchase advice?

WOW! Standing O, no doubt about it. And, the new Cisco release Aja is superb.
  21. D

100 dollar stereo challenge!

Amber 50b integrated amp. 6.86 Nakamichi MB-1 CDP 5.00 Rega Planar 3, super elys cart. Incognito wire 50.00 Nikko Gamma I tuner Free EV sp12 woofers,t35 tweeters, Barzilay cabs 24.00 Interconnects 4@ 1.00 4.00 Speaker cable, 12ga. underground lighting...
  22. D

Sony CDP-591 at Value World

That sounds like a nice deck. Good for you! I was just at Value World, Oak Park yesterday and got some sealed LP's. Sound Tracks, K-tel, Ronco. But then as I was checking out, I got to see a real moment. This guy, who just happened to be a guitar player finds a guitar that had just been put...
  23. D

Am I Deaf? Why Do CDs Sound Better?

Lot's of this issue can be resolved on a individual level, with a visit to a stereo shop, if you are lucky enough to be near one. One with top notch analog and digital sources. A visit to a shop like this changed it all for me. Now I'm considering exploring tape too. May the force be with you.
  24. D

I Love Thrifts - Shocking Scores!!

The thrifts are absolutely where it's at. latest finds: Nakamichi Mb-1 cd player 5.86 Amber 50-B Integrated Amplifier 6.86 Marantz cc-3000 cd player 30.00 Marantz model 5420 cassette deck 5.86 LP's far too numerous to mention Usually 2 for a dollar Around 50 current release indie jazz...
  25. D

A McIntosh Dealership in the city of Detroit

Ya, Detroit. "Nobody goes there anymore, It's way to crowded".
Back
Top Bottom