Search results

1. Farmhand

Quick question about an old Kenny

I have a KR-4070 that will eventually be my intro to recapping . I’ve taken it out of service because when I tap on the outside of the receiver (while it’s running) I can hear a thump through the speakers. Is this some kind of old cap microphonic thing, or what?
  2. Farmhand

Car vs. deer

Our road runs through a deer-heavy area and I’m surprised that we don’t hit them more often. We don’t ride our motorcycles after dusk because of the deer population. So my wife borrowed my car (the “dog car”) to take the dogs to the dog park and hit a deer on the way home. Took out a headlight...
  3. Farmhand

Today’s dirty receiver award goes to...

I picked up a Scott R36S basically free. I’m trying to figure out why the left channels work but the right channels don’t, so I decided to check under the hood right away. Time to fire up the air compressor!
  4. Farmhand

Bose 401 -I’m Shocked.

I just picked up a pair 401s as a package deal for next to nothing. I was after the receiver. I hooked up the old Lepai 2020plus, and am plugging in the iPhone 6s for a source. I had no idea these things would sound so good in a non critical setting- they have far lower bass than they should...
  5. Farmhand

Just when I think I’m done....

I just got home with a Scott R36S receiver and a pair of Bose 401Speakers. I really just wanted the Scott but for twenty bucks I took it all. Clearly this stuff has been in a damp basement for a while but it was plugged in and working when I got there. The R36S is an uncommon receiver and well...
  6. Farmhand

New to me ....

Picked this up beside the road for free. Never seen one before, it powers on and someday soon I’ll plug in speakers and a guitar to see what it can do.
  7. Farmhand

Free Beovox S45-2 basket cases? Heck yeah!

I just picked these up with a pile of free gear. I had initially thought of parting them out but they’re SO CLOSE to being functional! They’ve clearly been dropped but the cabinets look okay. One woofer has a shifted magnet and is stuck. It does “tick” with power from a AA battery. It has a...
  8. Farmhand

Picked up a pile of free stuff

a friend of mine was cleaning out and I couldn’t resist. All items are in unfortunate to dismal condition unless otherwise noted. AR XA turntable Technics SL-B2 and SL-B200 turntables Sony PS-LX2 turntable Infinity RS-300 speakers Beovox S45-2 speakers KLH Model 300 speakers Klipsch 6”...
  9. Farmhand

Shop audio upgrade

Never one to leave well enough alone, I cobbled together a battery powered Bluetooth boombox. I got a Bluetooth speaker for my birthday which was underwhelming in the sound department. I also had a pair of bookshelf speakers run by a T-amp. I hacked the end off the Bluetooth speaker. Unsoldered...
  10. Farmhand

Designing a motorcycle cargo trailer hitch

I ride a 1999 Nighthawk 750 and there is no commercially available trailer hitch for it. I’m building a trailer so I can take my dog along on weekend excursions so the hitch has become part of the project. This morning I’ve been mocking up a hitch that clamps onto the swing arms using the lower...
  11. Farmhand

New (to me) car I couldn’t pass up.

I went looking for a project car I could afford with my tax refund. And I’ve always liked the Saab 9-5 wagon. I did a LOT of homework and bided my time until this came along. 1999, one owner, 99 percent rust free. It needs a few odds and ends as these cars do but I can handle it all myself. $750...
  12. Farmhand

My good deed for the day

Scrolling through FB Marketplace I saw a ten minute old ad for “a bunch of stereo stuff”. Hundred bucks for all. All unremarkable junk until the last picture- of a very clean pair of early Polk Monitor 7s. I messaged the guy and advised that he look up current values. He had no idea what they...
  13. Farmhand

Car towing question

Pardon me if this subject has been beaten to death. I’m getting a 1990 Volvo 240 wagon which is not road worthy and need to tow it 200 miles home. I’d like to rent a dolly but am wondering about the whole matter of disconnect the drive shaft vs leave it in place . I have visions of being under...
  14. Farmhand

Looper switch mod?

Hi all, I have a JamMan Stereo looper that has super clunky footswitches. I’m hoping to replace them with silent switches so I can loop vocals as well. As it is now the mic picks up the loud metallic “chunk” when a switch is pressed. Have any of you done this? I know it’s a common mod, but I’m...
  15. Farmhand

Motorcycle trailer questions

Hi everybody, I’m thinking about building a motorcycle trailer, mainly so I can take my dog places when my wife and I take the bikes on a road trip. My wife has a 900 cc triumph, I have a 750 Honda Nighthawk. In all likelihood I will be pulling the trailer. Is 750 Undersized for pulling a 200...
  16. Farmhand

Speakers I see in boats

I’ve been working on a couple of boats, one built in Europe and one in Africa. The European boat has a sound system I wasn’t familiar with, the Linn Knekt Diskreet system. I won’t get a chance to hear it but I thought you’d be interested. The South African built boat has another system I’ve...
  17. Farmhand

Underhanded used car dealer tricks

A co worker bought a new car a few months ago and I thought it was new. I park next to it every day and last week I noticed it was developing rust along the rocker panel. This rust was clearly painted over to hide it. This is the kind of rust that will lead to the absence of a rocker panel in...
  18. Farmhand

How things work out

last spring I picked up a Zenith console the day after giving away another console. The first was my intro to tube gear. The Zenith is a solid state unit and I removed the AM/FM unit, the rest went to the end of the driveway. My plan has been to build a tabletop unit. Yesterday I picked up a...
  19. Farmhand

House wiring question

House wiring question: The main stairwell in our house has a light at the top of the stairs and another at the bottom of the stairs. The light at the bottom of the stairs has been intermittently going dark and coming back on. I replaced the fixture but the problem continues. I removed the...
  20. Farmhand

12v problem in pop-up camper

Hi all, I have a pop-up camper that's been off the road for two years. It's been in use in the back yard all summer, plugged into house AC and that system works fine. I've finished other repairs, charged and installed the battery and unplugged the camper from the house. One circuit has a 30A...
  21. Farmhand

My one-thumb summer bummer

I had a mishap at work, slipped with a chisel (I keep my tools sharp) and severed a tendon in my left thumb. It's put back together but I'm in a cast for the next 6-8 weeks. This means that I have to cancel all my guitar gigs for the summer AND I can't ride my motorcycle. Money from gigs was...
  22. Farmhand

Out with the old, in with the new.

Yesterday I gave away an empty console, having stripped it of amp and speakers. Today, two miles up the road I picked up this console for free. I brought it home, attached a plug, and fired it up. It took a few minutes for it to produce any sound other than pot scratchiness, but it's currently...
  23. Farmhand

Old caps- keep or toss?

If these are PIO then I'll keep them, but if they're no good then off they go. Any ideas?
  24. Farmhand

FM sneaking in.

Hi all, I'm running a circa 1959 Curtis-Mathes integrated and am getting the local classic rock station- without a tuner. It's just enough in the background to be annoying. Is there a filter or choke that I can add to get rid of the FM signal?
  25. Farmhand

New stereo for the car- it's a love/hate relationship.

I usually allow myself to suffer with "meh" car audio because I hate aftermarket head units so VERY much. When I'm driving, I want to push one button and have it perform its intended function. I don't want to scroll through menus within menus to change the tone settings. I don't need an awesome...
Back
Top Bottom