Search results

1. UncleDave

Which CD Player

Guiller, Thanks for the link. I will certainly give it a try and it just might work.
  2. UncleDave

Which CD Player

To answer Dr*Audio, the 640C will not read the disks. It tries but then displays "no play". Still looking at all the alternatives.
  3. UncleDave

Which CD Player

I have to replace my Cambridge Audio 640C CD player. It has been repaired once and I am officially giving up on it. What players would you folks recommend. I am in the $1,000 to $2,000 price range. Two that have caught my eye are the DECWARE ZCD-200 and the REGA SATURN. Does anyone have any...
  4. UncleDave

Take my wife, ... Please take my wife...

You can't win, you can't break even and you can't get out of the game. Let her use it whenever she wants, without whining or lecturing; it's not worth a battle. I like the ruggedized camera idea or give the Nikon to her outright and get a new one.
  5. UncleDave

ADCOM response - WOW!

Yes, the advice was usable. He pointed me to the battery, described its location and type I should get after consulting the schematic.
  6. UncleDave

My first real amp. Pre-amp suggestions?

I have a complete ADCOM stack (GFA-555 amp, GFP-555 pre-amp and GFT-1A tuner) and I am pretty darn happy with it. I am driving a pair of POLK SDA-2s and they all seem to play well together. The ADCOM preamps are set up to take advantage of their own amps, according to the literature, so that...
  7. UncleDave

ADCOM response - WOW!

Earlier this afternoon I emailed ADCOM with a problem regarding my GFT-1A tuner (the presets don't stick). It was just 20 minutes later I had a response. Yes, that's right, 20 minutes. I could not believe it- this is not even a current model. Nice to see some companies take service very...
  8. UncleDave

The **Best Investment Ideas for 2008** Thread. Fear Not.

A very simple investment currently available is on-line checking accounts. There are several out there in the 5% range and you have full access to the funds. Not the highest rate of return but no risk either. Of course there is fine print to be read but it is something to consider.
  9. UncleDave

Watertown, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo

I regularly travel between Watertown and Buffalo, New York. I be willing to help out anyone needing a pickup there or any of the spots in between.
  10. UncleDave

Odd problem with Cambridge Audio 640C

I have tried lubing the laser mechanism but still no luck. I may not be doing it properly either. All I did was remove the cover and put a tiny amount of white lithium grease on the rail and gears. The unit is only a couple years old so it actually looked pretty good in there.
  11. UncleDave

Odd problem with Cambridge Audio 640C

Just recently my Cambridge Audio 640C CD player has begun dropping out. This happens twice on a CD for less than a second each time; usually at the beginning of the CD (say about 3 or 4 minutes into it) and again about 3/4 of the way through. It is doing it with all my CDs. It is very...
  12. UncleDave

Today in History: First recording demonstrated

I have no idea. The author somehow felt that description should be included but I agree it has no bearing on the topic of sound reproduction. Dave
  13. UncleDave

Today in History: First recording demonstrated

Today is the anniversary of the first demonstration of a voice recording. This is what started it all. http://www.ronaldbrucemeyer.com/rants/1206almanac.htm Quoting from the website: It was on this date, December 6, 1877, that inventor and Atheist Thomas Alva Edison demonstrated the...
  14. UncleDave

Hearing test and many music and sound links

I didn't get too precise with the test. I don't have headphones and I'm on a big Mac with speakers but my results generally followed the curves they set up. I thought it was interesting that we are most sensitive to the frequencies corresponding to the human voice.
  15. UncleDave

Hearing test and many music and sound links

Here is a fun little on-line hearing test: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html But even more interesting are all the links at the bottom of the page dealing with sound, how we hear it and how it's produced by musical instruments. You speaker builders will find the discussions of...
  16. UncleDave

STENTORIAN Drivers: Why so expensive?

An ebay auction for a pair of STENTORIAN 10’’ HF1012 FULL RANGE VINTAGE DRIVERS just ended with a final price of $690. Does anyone know why these would be so expensive? I had not heard of them until this auction. Uncle Dave
  17. UncleDave

DCM TimeFrame rebuild

BirdDog, Thanks so much for the ultra-fast reply. And the schematics were way more than I hoped to get. Thanks again, I'm off to the garage. Dave
  18. UncleDave

DCM TimeFrame rebuild

I've picked up a pair of DCM TimeFrame TF-350 speakers in need of woofers. The first thing though is speaker cloth replacemnt. Does anyone know how the oak panels on top are attached? After that, I'll be tackling the woofers. Anyone ever done this on these units?
  19. UncleDave

Songs That Make You Cry

Nanci Griffith "Turn Around" from the album: "Other Voices/Other Rooms"
  20. UncleDave

Where to buy Deoxit

I know this is likely a very elementary question, but where would one buy this deoxit I see mentioned. I live in upstate New York so the selection of stores is somewhat limited. Dave
  21. UncleDave

NPR: Hearts of space

My brother has recently given me a pair of POLK SDA-2 speakers and this past Sunday (9/9/07) I listened to National Public Radio's "Music from the Hearts of Space" for the first time on them. The program was called "Keys to Contemplation" and featured piano music. The effect through the Polks...
  22. UncleDave

Yamaha A-400

Thanks to all for your replies. I have located a service manual on-line that should help as well.
  23. UncleDave

Yamaha A-400

I have just won a YAMAHA A-400 amplifier on ebay but I cannot find very much information on this model. Does anyone know something about this? years built, power rating, etc? Thanks, Dave
Back
Top Bottom