Search results

1. Lo-Fidelity

Quartet with locked woofer

A friend gave me a pair of Quartets, but one has a locked up woofer. I removed the dust cover and the voice coil looks ok, it just will not move. Any thoughts on path forward? I wish you could just buy a replacement but a quick search didn’t turn up anything. Simply Speakers has a recone...
  2. Lo-Fidelity

CR-820 FM problem

I have a beautiful receiver and everything works great except for the FM. In “stereo” mode, it will only pick up one station. I am in the Houston metro and there are a lot of strong stations. In “FM mono” it will pick up some stations but if switched to stereo they drop out. The signal...
  3. Lo-Fidelity

NHT Model 1.8 - Great speaker!

Ended up with a pair on NHT Model 1.8 after being properly shamed by the good folks on the thrift store thread after I posted a picture of them and stating that I didn’t need more speakers and that I had passed on them. Well they don’t have the the NHT mid-driver which was a bit disappointing...
  4. Lo-Fidelity

Semi-Portable DJ Console

Had some extra bits of unused gear and plywood that were just taking up space and decided to put them to use. I like to have tunes at the fire pit and when working around the yard. Normally I just crank up the barn system but the wife usually frowns on that much volume. Now I have a...
  5. Lo-Fidelity

Help- XBox for 11 year olds

I signed up to buy Christmas presents for two 11 year boys through our church. They both want the XBox. I thought it would be easy but after a brief on line search I am not so sure. What do you guys recommend? Thoughts? Thanks.
  6. Lo-Fidelity

Need Atlanta tech for mid 70s Kenwood receiver

I have a friend in the Atlanta area who needs a tech to repair his Kenwood receiver he has had since college. Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure of the model.
  7. Lo-Fidelity

Atlanta area tech for mid-70s Kenwood receiver?

I have a friend in the Atlanta area who needs a tech to repair his Kenwood receiver he has had since college. Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure if the model.
  8. Lo-Fidelity

2235B Hum upstream of amp section

My 2235B has a hum that started after not being used for a few months. The unit has not been recapped. The receiver was being used as a “pre-amp” for Mc-2100 amp. To confirm the amp section was ok I hooked up a pre-amp to the 2235b in amp mode and there was no hum so looks like the problem...
  9. Lo-Fidelity

Portable generator soundproofing?

I have a very loud small 3500 watt portable generator for keeping the lights on. Any thoughts on building a noise reduction enclosure? Looked at multiple U-tube videos but really not impressed with most of their work. I have some ideas, but have never been disappointed with feedback from...
  10. Lo-Fidelity

Snake Farm - It is nasty, really nasty!

Walked into my workshop tonight and as soon a I opened the door, wow, what is that stench? Smelled like rat piss but worse. I think, damn the bastards have moved in after the cold front. Found the rat poison and baited the traps. As I was putting out the bait stations I found this...
  11. Lo-Fidelity

Fisher 500C - Three speaker stereo

Anyone using the center channel output for three speaker stereo? There are a few threads on Audiokarma about this setup, but I didn't find any specific to Fisher gear or sub-forum. I have mine set up for three speakers and have a 16 ohm L-pad for controlling the center speaker volume. My...
  12. Lo-Fidelity

Fisher 500-C. Please confirm this is R-139

Please confirm the circled resistor is R-139. The lack of a red multiplier band to indicate 1200 ohm is causing me doubt.
  13. Lo-Fidelity

Thoughts on where I might find an output transformer for a 500C?

I recapped my 500C a few years ago and it sounded great until the left channel started intermittent crackling and ultimately the channel failed. Traced it to the output transformer which was replaced by a used unit from Frannie. Everything was fine for a while until the right channel started...
  14. Lo-Fidelity

Akai GX-270 D Muted right channel?

My AKAI GX 270D was playing pretty good I thought until this evening when the right channel started losing volume and treble. I had been using it for several hours before the problem food bad. I tried recording to a new tape and the right channel was weak and the meter wouldn’t get up to the...
  15. Lo-Fidelity

Any salvageable parts - Sony rtr

Curb find going back to curb tomorrow. Anything I should salvage tonight?
  16. Lo-Fidelity

Bought a microscope - my stylus is dirty!

Bought an inexpensive microscope and was I surprised how dirty my stylus is. First picture is of the stylus cleaned a few (many) records ago. Second picture is after cleaning with 100% isopropyl alcohol. It looks to still be nasty.
  17. Lo-Fidelity

Thoughts / Guidance on RV rental

I am considering renting a Class C RV for week or so of R&R, and would like input from any RV owners and renters. A long time ago, my buddies and I used to rent RVs for NASCAR trips. In that deal all I did was pay my share and drive. The rental deal was worked by others. A quick check on the...
  18. Lo-Fidelity

Amazing outboard motor collection

https://www.estatesales.net/MO/Wildwood/63040/2269383
  19. Lo-Fidelity

Reference: 510T by Quadraflex TT

Found this unusual table at an estate sale for $10. Seems it was a house brand for Pacific Stereo. Japanese made and the platter and drive are very similar to the Sansui SR-232 that donated its belt for testing the 510. There are few threads here on AK about this unit, but not many. Works good...
  20. Lo-Fidelity

SX-450 flickering dial bulbs on startup

Picked up a sweet SX-450 at an estate sale yesterday and am having fun checking it out. All is good except the dial bulbs flicker for a few minutes when first turned on and then burn bright. Doesn’t effect sound. When I first powered her up the right lamp didn’t light at all but comes on now...
  21. Lo-Fidelity

Any vintage outboard motor fans?

Found this little outboard in a friends basement. Don’t have an immediate use for it but might try to acquire anyway. Anyone familiar with this?
  22. Lo-Fidelity

Any house painters out there?

I am working on a 80-90 year old building and have a paint question or two. We had the house painted 6 or 7 years ago and it looked ok for a while. The paint has failed on the areas where we left the old siding and is ok where the old siding was replaced. I got out my scraper and hit a lick...
  23. Lo-Fidelity

It’s a rats nest in there. Really it’s a rats nest in there

Had to see what the no name woofers are in my latest find. Boy was I in for a surprise. How disgusting is that? Check out the car sub woofer. Looks like a truck rim.
  24. Lo-Fidelity

How to change these dial bulbs?

Found this MCS 3233 next to the road. After a little Deoxit it is working nicely but all but one bulb is out. Before I break something, I thought I’d ask how to remove and replace these bulbs. It looks like there is a rubber cup that could be pulled from the clear plastic which would give...
Back
Top Bottom