Search results

1. g..v

Going to Battery powered tools

You're welcome. No battery equipment in my future aside from what I already own. A B&D Versa Pack screwdriver. Nicad...ugh. and an old Craftsman drill. With bad battery. I had a bad experience with a rebuilt laptop battery. Just can't duplicate OEM.
  2. g..v

Nothing, nothing compares to ICE power equipment when comparing to battery equipment. Convenience is its only attribute.
  3. g..v

Who says accordions aren't cool?

Jim: age gets to all of us. I "played" a piano as a kid. Played is in quotes because. Then in Jr High, I took up the saxophone. It was awful transitioning from one to the other. A good reason was I didn't practice enough. Always goofed up key signatures. I do remember my little dog screaming...
  4. g..v

The bell curve to audio perfection

WWW. ... I pray your wife never sees that "Ride Cindy Crawford..."
  5. g..v

Who says accordions aren't cool?

Accordion=bagpipes to me. Do you know how to play Far, Far Away? The farther, the better
  6. g..v

Odd problem, maybe not

Hmmm...now wondering if an not so old optical drive could be cannibalized...
  7. g..v

Odd problem, maybe not

Well, I couldn't open the tray on my Technics SLPG100. So, off came the top cover and the disc is sticking to the rubberish ring on the top plate which is part of the clamping "system" for CDs. Thoughts and cures? I know this is over 30 years old, but otherwise it's ok. TIA
  8. g..v

Bookshelf speakers with best bass...

AR 3/3a. Where it all started, others will chime in. No longer available new, but maybe used. 500$ might not be enough though.
  9. g..v

Antenna Repair Info Needed

you may be able to just press it back on. That's how they were made. If the bottom of the tube is distorted, maybe straighten it and push it back onto the swivel stud. A little crazy glue might help.
  10. g..v

Surprises this weekend.

Garage treasure. Moved the 54 Chrysler New Yorker out to greener pastures Saturday. Found a couple of small treasures. Brand new SuperBee ornaments and decals. And a NOS KLH woofer & tweeter. Screen on the tweeter. Woofer looks like from a 17 or 33. Maybe even a model 20 or 24. The speakers...
  11. g..v

To Bi-Amp or not to Bi-Amp

Sorry...post was enexpectedly delayed.
  12. g..v

To Bi-Amp or not to Bi-Amp

I did it decades ago. Using a passive x-over between the pre and power amps, of course. I do believe it is better. Less phase shift with a direct feed from the power amps. That's the theory. Will I change anything? Maybe when I have time to set up the Linkwitz -Riley builds. Not next week, however.
  13. g..v

Who introduced you to (Quality) Hifi?

No one. Somehow I found High Fidelity magazine and then Hifi Stereo Review by the time I was a sophomore in HS. 1963-64 or so.
  14. g..v

Altec Lansing Horn Identification

That job is an accident waiting to happen The pull from the magnet will suck any steel screwdriver and dent the diaphragm. Search for a bronze screwdriver before it gets you or make one..
  15. g..v

my wife died 12 or so weeks ago,i now have little to no interest in audio

My sympathy to all who suffer a loss like that. Next month is 3 years for me. I think still.working helps, but only to a degree. Also coincidental was prostate cancer treatment. A double whammy. Find something to keep active because it's going to hurt for a good long while. And try to always...
  16. g..v

Onkyo Files For Bankruptcy

Second that on the 25s. Alternative to KLH 5, AR 3a, a whole bunch of others.
  17. g..v

Sooner or later you may wish you didn't. Batteries come and go as fast as many other things. There will never be compatibility as products change even in a given manufacturer's line. Each tweak will require a different battery. Nothing crosses brands like gas and oil.
  18. g..v

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Price of guns and non existent ammo. 1 piece I own, and it's not really special is near $65 for 20
  19. g..v

How to remove these spade connectors?

Don't be stingy. Wire cutters
  20. g..v

Question for people who are avid classical orchestra listeners

Hey! You can capture lightning in a bottle!!! In 9th grade science class we had a decent Van De Graff generator. I used it in a science fair to charge up a healthy sized Leyden jar. It could hold an enormous charge! Someone bumped my arm and knocked of the lid and electrode end. I reached for it...
  21. g..v

Ohms ? What are they

One other way to look at is " conductance." Conductance is measured on Mho(s) So 4 ohms conducts twice as much as 8 ohm's. Also, 4 ohms is closer to a short circuit than 8 ohm's.
  22. g..v

Total Knee Replacement

4/28 marks one year for me. Job related, but I left that job in '93, so SOL. Walking and kicked out of the hospital the next day. Minimum discomfort, no heavy duty pain meds. Bored to death after a week. Said "f" this and was driving in a week without difficulty. Went back to work after 3...
  23. g..v

Why do some speakers sound better with more power?

Quite simply, work is the ability to move matter or moving matter. Therefore because air is matter and something moves it, in this case speakers and an amplifier, work is being done. Really quite simple. It doesn't need to be a lot. A little meets the same standard.
  24. g..v

I think in the final analysis, SPL is a measure of power. Just doesn't get loud enough to be truly harmful in many circumstances. I saw a video of a water dump on a rocket launch pad to dampen the sound. Like drag boats spray water in to the exhaust headers to quiet them down. Converting SPL...
  25. g..v

Fletcher- Munson curves are always in play. In order for the bass and treble to catch up with the mid-range, you need more power.
Back
Top Bottom