Search results

1. Moonwatcher

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

The air purifier. (My stuff is dismantled at the moment.)
  2. Moonwatcher

KLH Model Six recap: blood, sweat & tears

Thanks, Hornbostel. Since I ordered paper/oil caps their size may be a minor problem, but hopefully I'll be able to take it from here.
  3. Moonwatcher

Yeah, I think I get that now. So those 2uf caps will be wired together on one end with separate leads divided by the resistor in between, right?
  4. Moonwatcher

Thanks, RxDx. I think I've also seen that larger cap as 8uf, but I will plunge back in and plug away at it. Would you know if I could use a KLH 17 crossover? I've seen that somewhere. There's a pair on eBay for about $20. But I have caps and at least what used to be half a brain, so before doing...
  5. Moonwatcher

Hey, all. OK, I realize this subject has been addressed in other threads, but I'm still confused about what to do. First off, I love these KLH 6's with my little push pull 15-watt maggie. But the left speaker suddenly sounded dull, and it turned out the tweeter was not working. The tweeter...
  6. Moonwatcher

Technics SL-Q3 tonearm hops to the left as it sets down

Thanks for asking, T.B. All I've done is continue fiddling with that setdown screw. I finally adjusted it to where the stylus lands in sort of the right place after the hop to the left. But in the process of doing that, I somehow messed up the auto return at the end!
  7. Moonwatcher

Technics SL-Q3 tonearm hops to the left as it sets down

So I recently found my college Technics turntable under a pile of junk at my mom’s house, a nice surprise. In fact I love it. After initial issues that you amazingly knowledgeable AK guys helped me fix, I got around to fine-tuning the tonearm's automatic-start set-down position--it was a...
  8. Moonwatcher

Technics SL-Q3 tonearm/pickup not moving forward

Actually, I think it's fixed (we're talking about the Technics SL Q3 here--sorry for the confusion). I let the arm swing to the inside and on impulse gave it a solid little push. It sort of seemed to clear a bump or notch, clicked, and it's been working fine ever since. Thanks!
  9. Moonwatcher

APOLOGIES, EVERYONE, especially Montycat! I am working on two turntables simultaneously and got them mixed up, ha-ha. That last post with the photo of the loose spring was NOT the Technics but a Garrard SL-65, which is another project, another headache, and another post.
  10. Moonwatcher

Best Stereo Test Record?

Carly Simon really challenges my stylus (oh, come on) on Stephen Sondheim's "Not a Day Goes By," an inner groove of "Torch."
  11. Moonwatcher

I think that I checked that already, but when I get home, I will check again. Thanks!
  12. Moonwatcher

Good evening, everybody. I was cleaning out my mom's house and found my old college Technics turntable. I was excited because after fooling with frustrating and costly changers, this deck seemed simple and straightforward, yet it had auto functions like lifting the needle and dropping it...
  13. Moonwatcher

Fried Q???

I found a pair of Model Q’s on CL and have to say they were surprisingly deep and accurate. A tactile, thick-sounding saxophone slip-slides into the room. What does not make sense to me is that they are rated like 86 db for efficiency, say on the back “minimum 35 watts” and I’m using a...
  14. Moonwatcher

Garrard SL 65 wobble and spring

Thanks! I read somewhere about using a hammer and screwdriver to knock it into position, but if it's a casting problem . . . I will research whether swimming actually affects the sound or speed. Thanks again for your expertise!
  15. Moonwatcher

Garrard SL 65 wobble and spring

No, wobble and spring is not a British dish of leftovers. I found this changer on Craigslist for a bit of nothing, but the platter wobbles up and down as it spins. See video below: Also, there is a small spring under the tonearm pivot with a loose, unattached end. I did download the service...
  16. Moonwatcher

1965 Calrad tube tuner (model 202M) signal cutting out

Cool. I will look for one! My dentist said to stop using my teeth.
  17. Moonwatcher

I appreciate your appreciation, Kent. In retrospect, I don't understand how I could have removed every tube and cleaned it and still missed that bent pin. But the unit is actually sounding better than ever, thanks to upgrading a couple of tubes in the process of all this. And station drift...
  18. Moonwatcher

Breakthrough! I was trying all kinds of things and noticed, while jiggling the two ECC85 tubes directly behind the antenna connection, that the problem would come and go. I thought it was the tubes and found another pair, but as I was changing them out I noticed a pin on one of them was badly...
  19. Moonwatcher

Yeah, thanks. The more things you scratch off the list the longer it gets--a law of the universe I will never understand. But back to tubes, I've wobbled them, removed them and sprayed pins with contact cleaner, etc. I'm not sure at this point how to access solder joints, but I will investigate.
  20. Moonwatcher

Thanks, but what do you mean by tap the coil cans?
  21. Moonwatcher

Hmm, thanks. Silver mica disease sounds scary. But it isn't loud when the sound goes on or off. Okay, so I used contact cleaner on all the pins and in all the tube jacks, and there is no change. It sounds great for ten minutes or so and then cuts out. If I leave it on, the sound comes back for...
  22. Moonwatcher

Thanks for all your responses, everybody. Looks like a case of great minds think alike! Thank you! :bowdown:
  23. Moonwatcher

Why I haven't already done that I don't know. But yes, I will clean all the pins and sockets and report back. Thanks!
  24. Moonwatcher

Great idea--I hope I can ID the tube. There may be a schematic floating around somewhere in cyberspace. Thanks!
  25. Moonwatcher

That is a great idea Great idea--I hope I can ID that tube. Thanks!
Back
Top Bottom