Search results

1. Freddymac2

Quest: Nakamichi knobs for TA-4A receiver

I am almost sure that the ta 2 and ta 4 knobs are the same, but I will check when I get a chance.
  2. Freddymac2

DQ 10 crossover upgraded caps

I guess many of the DQ10 nut shave left the forum. Speaker placement, electronics, and room acoustics, also effect what you can get out of these speakers. i have an early set of DQ 10's that had been driven hard with Dyna 400's, and Ampzillas's for many years. The cheap Mexican caps...
  3. Freddymac2

Starting a Nakamichi SR-4A rebuild

You may not have noticed, but the banana jacks for speakers are not the normal 5 way units you are used to. Is the unit coming out of protection? (flashing led near power on button solid green) Have you any output on headphones? Bad solder at speaker relay terminals to Motherboard, or dirty...
  4. Freddymac2

Nakamichi ta 2a loosing memorized stations

There is a company making a very compatible remote, I am busy now but have to look at old book marks to find it. Harmony 350 will give you some functions but not all.
  5. Freddymac2

Look what came in the mail yesterday... + comparison

Glad you got a good piece, enjoy the music. The phono section is not too shabby either, if you are into that at all.
  6. Freddymac2

Dahlquist DQ-10 Problem

Room placement, driving electronics, and source material is a bit more critical when using this speaker. The super tweeter may not be working, due to bad fuse connection, although it is rare to see them blown. Do realize the DQ 10 rolls off at about 40hz, so a quality powered sub will give you...
  7. Freddymac2

Luxman pd-289 (Direct Drive) powers on platter won't work

i have used a PD 289 for about 5 years. i know that there are many TTs that will outperform this unit in certain areas, for sure. Other than feedback issues, it is stable speed wise, and quiet, so don't throw it away, until you compare it to the "better" new piece.
  8. Freddymac2

People on this forum are nice

Because most of us have been around the block a few times, and nastiness does not help anyone.
  9. Freddymac2

Dahlquist DQ-10 Revival

Many say that caps do not change much after install, but like you I found they improved over the the first two weeks. I used Axion and Solens on mine, and at first they were a tad harsh the first day or so of use. All those watts are nice but be sure all the fuses are the right type and amp...
  10. Freddymac2

Dahlquist DQ-10 Revival

i am surprise you heard no difference with the 80uf cap replacement. I found the clarity and detail of stringed instruments was improved. The record #3 band 2 of "Children of Sanchez" should clearly point this out. what are you driving the DQ's with? I would also replace the other original...
  11. Freddymac2

Nakamichi TA-3 Pickup-Nice Sound

The harmony 350 will do some of the main functions but not all. It should also do the CD player. About $38 on amazon when last checked.. What speakers are you running?
  12. Freddymac2

Help With Nakamichi Sr-2A

Not adjustable
  13. Freddymac2

Help With Nakamichi Sr-2A

For starters just clean connections, remove old solder and re-flow with quality solder, no need to replace transistors.
  14. Freddymac2

MM or MC cartridge

I don't think you will gain anything, by purchasing a MC cartridge. I do not know if you have a transformer or head amp to boost the signal from a Low Output MC, but they can be expensive. I do find MC carts to have, a bit more fine detail and air, but I have a fairly good system.
  15. Freddymac2

Need more proof Records are making a Comeback ?

As much as I would like to think that records were coming back, it is a very small market, The quality of re-released vinyl that I have purchased at $20+ a copy has not impressed me. To put a good quality vinyl system together, with new equipment takes a lot of money. Only 10% of the people...
  16. Freddymac2

Are the two resistors in series with the woofer supposed to get really hot?

For many years i drove my DQ 10's with 200 watt Dyna and Ampzilla amps, at high levels. It never occurred to me to look at the condition of the crossover components. After 30 + years of hard use, many of the original cheap Mexican caps were totally toasted. i don't think anything is wrong...
  17. Freddymac2

Looking for service tech in my area

Yes that is it, have you tried him? I have heard he is a good guy.
  18. Freddymac2

Looking for service tech in my area

i am not sure about the exact name, i think it is Hudson Valley Audio, 30 miles south of Albany. He has a good reputation on tube and vintage gear.
  19. Freddymac2

ADS 810's so so shape in CT. $250

Norwalk l'm sorry I forgot the link New York / fairfield CL
  20. Freddymac2

ADS 810's so so shape in CT. $250

i am not connected in any way. With stands!
  21. Freddymac2

Dalquist DQ-10

The older version of the DQ 10 will benefit a great deal by re-capping the crossovers. This will not make it more efficient, but it will improve the sound. To get better low frequency response you will need a quality powered sub. Room placement is also .. very important. Do you know the...
  22. Freddymac2

Ready to move on from Advents?

Keep up the good work.... but when you are done you will not have any ears left IMO.
  23. Freddymac2

PAS-3 on Craigslist

You do know that the Dynaco PAS3 is only a preamp, it will not drive speakers without an amp. $300 is a lot of money if it is a kit build of lower quality work IMO. The selenium rectifiers should be replaced too, for future reference. EDIT: Sorry missed the 9300
  24. Freddymac2

10 Years of Absolute Sound Magazine + Collection in CT.

Quite a group of Mags! I am not connected in any way. Great for an audio club? https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/ele/d/norwalk-ten-years-of-stereophile/6831283486.html
  25. Freddymac2

Turntable Recommendations?

I also am using an old Platter Mater mat on that Sony and I find it kills all issues with platter ringing.
Back
Top Bottom