Search results

1. OMGCat!

Re-making GF560 / GF570 / GF580 bulb - can only make one

I’ve done the same. You can usually get the 12v lamps in a few different mA choices for whatever package. I do the math to get the closest match and haven’t had a bad result yet. Plus a 12v lamp should last forever running 30% lower voltage.
  2. OMGCat!

Increase filter caps in low or high voltage rail

You’d have to be sure the rest of the power supply can handle the additional load they would cause on startup That said, if you find it’s ok, I’d try both and see if you notice a difference. My Yamaha is 120wpc and runs 44kuF total on the low rail and 66kuF total on the high rail so they seem to...
  3. OMGCat!

Yamaha CD-S2100 Loading Loop Issue

Great news! Happy listening
  4. OMGCat!

B&W 801 S3 RSVP?

I’ve got a set of 804 Matrix and have found these speakers to be super picky about what amps they like. I’d imagine the 801s are similar, just want more power. When you get it right they are pretty amazing but getting it wrong gives you a pretty unpleasant experience. Also, depending on the...
  5. OMGCat!

Sir paul with Khruangbin!!

Same here. Qobuz turned me on to Khuruangbin a few months ago and it’s been great doing through there catalog. I always shake my head when people say there is no good music being made anymore. This is great music, recorded and released in hi res.
  6. OMGCat!

Technology is a Pain ..diminishing returns. Obselete

I’ve gone much the same way. As long as you have a back up copy (or three) of your rips, and keep them at different locations, you are much more insulated from loss than having a house full of media. Honestly though, since subscribing to Qobuz, I have probably played half a dozen actual CDs and...
  7. OMGCat!

Replacement Parts

This for sure. I needed a knob for a Heathkit tuner and was sure that it would be impossible to find. I posted a WTB and had someone message me about two hours later. Bartertown is where you'll find what you need and probably a bunch of stuff that you didn't know you needed as well.
  8. OMGCat!

Conformal Coating of Circuit Boards

You'll find it in car control units as well. Lots of capacitors peeing themselves in late 80's and early 90's cars these days. I use Toluene on a qtip and remove it from the joints and then paint it back with a small bottle of conformal coating when I'm done. Not milspec repair of the coating...
  9. OMGCat!

High price of vintage components

It’s also sites like this (or this site in particular) that get people excited about the vintage allure. I’ve pointed several younger friends at new gear when they were looking at expensive, old stuff on CL and the like. i have a vintage TT and amp in my main (only) system that I really like...
  10. OMGCat!

Mitsubishi R8 No sound

Clean the switches? I had a Yamaha with zero sound into I cleaned the source selector.
  11. OMGCat!

Marantz 2230 as preamp experience / Yamaha C-series comparisons?

I tried my C-80 against going directly into a few different amplifiers, with a few different sources, on pretty revealing speakers (B&W 804). I really couldn’t tell the difference with or without so if you like the signature of the Marantz pre, you’ll definitely miss it with the Yamaha. To me it...
  12. OMGCat!

Yamaha A-700 had to get it.

I’m thinking it was some sort of insulation to get rid of buzzing possibly? I don’t think it does anything as far as shielding goes. The A-1000 has a metal cover with no foam. I have a big sheet of sticky felt that I replaced the crumbly foam with. You can just remove it but the adhesive will...
  13. OMGCat!

When Your System Is Complete. Or Do I Need Another Hobby?

My system has been complete for a while. I listen to music as a hobby now, I’m weird, I know. I’m actually building a dedicated listening room at the moment. I hope the system likes its new home and I don’t have to start gear hunting again.
  14. OMGCat!

"People Are Experimenting With 'Digital Drugs' Delivered Via Sound..."

Never heard of that before but seems harmless enough.
  15. OMGCat!

Sound Design 4236 Unknown Transistor

That looks like a nice sub. Could also stick basically any T03p audio output transistor in there and it would be pretty much bulletproof as long as the original isn’t germanium.
  16. OMGCat!

Technics SA-424 Heat Damage Question

If I’m restoring a unit and I see damage like that I’m inclined to replace the resistor and have it sit higher up on the board to allow some airflow and let the leads shed some heat before going into the board. There are leads bending pliers you can buy to set the height and stabilize while you...
  17. OMGCat!

Yamaha CD-S2100 Loading Loop Issue

Fingers crossed that it's just a software issue. I give mine the side eye every time I load a disc because all the issues everyone seems to have. So far so good...
  18. OMGCat!

Power cycling - Do you turn your equipment off and on....

This is basically what I do. If it’s going to be a music day I switch everything on in the morning or if I’m listening after work I turn the system on when I get home. We have some random power outages (SoCal where power is expensive and not exactly reliably at times) and my amp runs warm so I...
  19. OMGCat!

Solid-state amps that measure poorly (but sound excellent)

Any cap coupled amp will measure lousy on some tests but they tend to sound very nice imo. The HK 330 is a great sounding early SS receiver that I really like. Paired with some AR or KLH speakers and you can listen all day, zero fatigue. If you look at modern amps compared to spec war/power war...
  20. OMGCat!

3d printing, electronics repair and you!

I have a couple of hinges I need to make and know a bunch of people that need them too Yamaha A-1 and A-1000/1020/R-9 flippy doors always broken. Definitely need to dig in and learn.
  21. OMGCat!

To Measure or Not to Measure New Capacitors

I measure all of my new parts just so I’m not installing problems that I’ll have to troubleshoot later. I’ll lay out all the parts I’m going to need, measure everything and then get to work. The one time I didn’t do this I had a faulty transistor in the bias circuit drive me nuts for a bit. Amp...
  22. OMGCat!

Classic pre-amp/int-amp/receiver functions lost to time.

My integrated (from 1983) has a -20db mute which is great for low level listening and for changing records. Just push the button, drop the needle on the new side, push button again. I definitely appreciate that particular button.
  23. OMGCat!

Best Sounding Current Receiver Under $400

You can also get a nice standalone vintage tuner for peanuts these days. Opening your options up to integrated amps will net you many more options in your price range. Find the amp you want and then search out a tuner that matches it cosmetically. if you were in the San Diego area, I’d give you...
  24. OMGCat!

Strange Sherwood HP2000 beast…

I’ve never seen one of those. Very nice looking. I wonder if it’s made by Inkel like some of the CP gear.
  25. OMGCat!

Onkyo TX-8255 channel issues

Sounds like a speaker protection relay going out. I had the older version of that amp and found they use a relay for A and another for B which would explain why the other pair is working properly. You can try to clean the relay or replace it if you’re brave. Mine did the same thing and with no...
Back
Top Bottom