Search results

1. jasong

SX-880 overheating..

Thanks for the note Mark...can you help point me to that thread a bit more?
  2. jasong

SX-880 overheating..

I think the joints are all cool; no other major problems, but it runs hot. I think mounting a heat sink graft would be the best thing to do immediately. I can pretty easily check the temp with an IR thermometer.
  3. jasong

SX-880 overheating..

I'll remember that next time I am cannibalizing an electronics piece...
  4. jasong

SX-880 overheating..

Did you ever graft on a heat sink? My SX-880 heats up quite a bit after running for a while. I say so because I can smell it. I will likely do the same if it will help with the smell!
  5. jasong

Paradigm 7SEs...very happy!

To do so would require unscrewing the whole back. All I know is they say 7se and they have the port at the bottom as shown with the 5ses. Actually, they look exactly like those 5ses. I think they may be the original 7se? I will be content with enjoying their kickass sound for now. :music...
  6. jasong

I don't think they are mark anything...at least they don't say so on the back. It just says 7se. They have the hole below the woofer as shown in the 5se model from your picture. Thanks for those pictures, by the way! Very cool to see. Maybe I'll see if I can track down some literature on...
  7. jasong

Yeah I definitely lucked out. The woofers were damaged; the glue had separated from the cone and the rim and one was missing that little paper bell. After a couple days at my local repair shop, they are sounding awesome. Three road trips around town later, Grant Green Live at Club Mozambique is...
  8. jasong

Recently picked up a damaged pair of Paradigm 7SEs for $50...repaired them for $40...currently giving them a test drive on Maceo's US album... They are awesome! HUGE bass! Great sound! These are so much better than the crappy ones I was using before!!! With the EQs at 12:00 on my Marantz...
  9. jasong

SX-880 coming my way today

It's been really solid so far! It looks MINT, works mint, I have only test driven it with an mp3 player, but all in all I am very happy with the purchase. It was $120, and the seller is also an AK member! Thumbs up, very pleased. It makes the stuff I had seen in pawn shops that much more...
  10. jasong

SX-880 coming my way today

From what I gather the SX-880 is supposed to be a decent amp. I have been looking for an amp for a computer system...found one on a classifieds site...wish me luck AK.
  11. jasong

BEST WAY TO MAKE POPCORN; jasong inspired

Sorry bud, that's wrong, wrong, wrong. Backwards wrong. Canola oil is not a good oil for frying, and the fact that it is unsaturated makes it have trans fats when you fry with it. It also starts kind of turning into varnish. Coconut is mostly saturated and therefore cannot go trans...
  12. jasong

Ghee is clarified butter. It works great for popcorn. My favorite, though, is coconut oil. Beware of canola or olive oils: they are not good for frying, period. Olive oil is ok for low temp sauteeing but a no-go for high heat.
  13. jasong

Don't use olive oil! Use peanut oil or coconut oil!
  14. jasong

Marantz 2285B Cap Replacemnt

I still need to do some servicing on mine. My enthusiasm for recapping it myself has waned somewhat. It still works fine but would like to get it serviced without paying out the yin yang.
  15. jasong

Marantz 2285B Cap Replacemnt

I have some very short caps that stack up to be roughly the same size as the original cans. It has been done by another AKer...
  16. jasong

Best Guitarists

I didn't look through to see if anyone mentioned Larry Coryell, but: I recently discovered his work with Eleventh House, and it is absolutely retarded. Larry was full of awesomeness. I don't care much for his later stuff after say 1976. Whatever drugs he was doing in the early 70s were...
  17. jasong

Looking for some Canadian AK members

I dunno, I guess we crack a beer, eh? :) Welcome Don!
  18. jasong

Marantz 2285 Rebuild - Anyone interested?

Thanks, happy new year eh? :)
  19. jasong

Sweet! OK good call! Let me know how yours works out!
  20. jasong

Hello AKers! I have a Marantz 2285B receiver that I am interested in rebuilding. It has not had much service work during its lifetime. I am interested in seeing if any of the AK pros are into doing a rebuild on it. Power supply, amp boards, etc. Its performance is OK but I am starting to...
  21. jasong

4230 Service Manual

Sure did. If one of our units is NFG maybe we can swap parts even. Drop me an email or pm me your email address.
  22. jasong

4230 repair question

I don't have a scope so testing the outputs is kind of a no go. I think replacing them and recapping is about the only solution. :\ As for resistor burn, I'd have to look closely again. There were some heated areas of the board IIRC, but I can't say offhand that they were localized to one...
  23. jasong

2215B recap - not entirely successful

justw: I'd sure appreciate your two cents on my 4230 repair question! You seem to know what's up. I have two threads in this forum on it...
  24. jasong

4230 repair question

Thanks for the encouragement dude. :) That was pretty much the plan. See, buddy doesn't even want the amp anymore; this is a salvage more than anything.
  25. jasong

4230 repair question

Oh but if I only had a scope. *sigh* The parts are all original and matching on each side save for the replaced caps as mentioned. What I will do, and what's probably the best, is replace the obviously bad caps and power up again, then scope it at various places. Which will take a...
Back
Top Bottom