Search results

1. A

Audire Poco –– what is it?!

The designer, Julius Siksnius, a Saturn 5 rocket scientist, disguised the transistors with a plastic "box". I had a John Curl designed, battery powered Mark Levinson given to me, but it did not sound better. It did have 1 D cell, instead of 4 AA's, as well as a test light at turn on. I sold...
  2. A

Audire Audio Components

Whoops: Blow the fuses in your speakers, or worse. The Diffet 2 A added two three position toggles, a plus 12 db, a plus 0 db, and a minus 6 db switch, I think, which was actually only an attenuator, and a second switch with different output loadings for your cartridge. The Florida rep...
  3. A

Audire Audio Components

Julius never provided manuals to anyone. His service was the best. For over 30 years, he never failed to answer the phone when I called, and always enjoyed talking to his customers. I want to post some info for everyone: A few years back, Julius started getting senile and his phone was...
  4. A

Audire Andante Preamp

I am sorry guys, but calling an Andante two Legatos is like calling a Corvette two Chevettes. The Legato is a fine preamp. I own one. My Diffet 1A is superior. My Diffet 2 is noticably better sounding than the 1A. My DIFFET 3 is even better. It has a tighter bass than the 3, and close listening...
  5. A

Replacement Stylus Confirmation

I know this is an old post, but just in case, I want to clarify this situation. According to most reports, Sumiko made both the F-8 and F-9. A good friend, who was a Supex, Audire, B&W and Theta rep back then, told me the F-9 was actually made by Supex, which would make sense, since Supex made...
  6. A

All I want for Xmas is..an Audire Crescendo amp

Audire I have had a Crescendo, two 2's and now have had 2 Fortes for years. I have had all of the preamps except the Andante and have only ever seen one of those for sale ever. It was built for the Monarch towers. The Model 1 (5-600? watt transformer, dual caps) and Model 2 (1000 watt...
  7. A

Adcom GFA 555 vs. B&K ST1400

Adcom 555 vs NAD 2200 vs B&K st1400 I had an NAD 2200 at the same time as an Audire Model 2. They both sounded great, but the Audire separated the instruments in space better. The Adcoms are quite dull sounding. I was quite disappointed with mine, except for the fact that I paid $50 on...
  8. A

Grace F9 Replacement Stylus

Square shank vs. Round shank stylus for Grace F-8 and F-9 The square shank works in the F-9. In fact, the springs clips in the cartridge grab the square shank better. The F-8 and F-9 styli do not interchange. F-8 is available from Sumiko as a Pearl or Black Pearl. The best F-9's come from Sound...
  9. A

Yamaha MC-9 cartridge, any opinions?

Yamaha MC9 cartridge When I sent my Supex in or a stylus/exchange, I bought one of these MC9's new and still use it. It is quite good, but certainly not as good as the Supex 900, which I now save mostly for my Direct to Disc albums. These have been run through Audire POCO and Mark Levinson...
  10. A

Audire Audio Components

Audireophile I used a Model 2 amp and Diffet 1A preamp from Audire for years. The 1A has moving coil switches. I now use two Diffet 3's, an Audire POCO head amp, and two Audire Forte's powering B&W 803's plus subs. I could not be happier. Since I have had this setup, I have bought and sold 350...
  11. A

What TT's do you folks have

My turntables Kenwood KD 500 bought new, currently with JH Formula 4 unipivot arm and Shure V-15-III cartridge Ariston RD 40 with Signet arm and two "wands", one with Supex 900 Mark IV and one with Yamaha MC 9, plus an Audire POCO head amp. The only other table I have owned was a Philips...
  12. A

What TT's do you folks have

My TTs 1-Ariston Rd40 with Signet removable arms, Supex 900 Mark Iv on one and Yamaha MC9 on the other. Man, I love that Supex, but it is getting worn enough to be reserved for my best, usuallly D to D , LP's. 2-Kenwood KT500 with aFormula 4 arm (replaced an SME, + a Shure V-15...
  13. A

The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

Worst piece I owned:Probably Fisher; maybe Rotel I bought a Radio Shack 195 watt receiver in the early 1970's. My friend had the same receiver, marked Pioneer, that was 35 watts RMS. Still it was OK. My accompanying Fisher three-way speakers were replaced with Advents, which started the power...
  14. A

Which Large Advent's are these?

Those are the second generation because of the mesh over the tweeters. I'll bet some re-foaming would work.
  15. A

B&W DM14 Brochure

I just want to note that the speakers will shut down with too much bass boost. For medium to loud music, they are fine, but if you want loud bass in a large room they require a sub. I use NHT SW2Si's under the speakers, Audire electronics and a Thiel sub crossover. A Madisound (1259 sub)...
  16. A

B&W DM14 Brochure

B&W DM14 DM1400 DM12 DM1200 DM17 Active 1 I own all of these speakers, the DM14 for 30 years. They share the same woofer/midrange, with the 12/1200/17 having only one. The DM 1200 and 1400 have a nice wood matched mounting board, but were cheapened to save costs: Specifically, they have wood...
  17. IMGP1354

IMGP1354

The multi speaker system shown was a temporary setup for my 50th birthday party. It consists of Acoustat Spectra 11 electrostatics with NHT ST-4 woofers from Peerless, two 10 inch Peerless sourced NHT SW2pi subs, 4 B&W DM 14 (IN-Active Ones) 2 1/2 way speakers powered by two Audire Forte...
  18. A

Audire

Audire Opinions I have had Audire electronics since the seventies. They were designed and built by an Apollo (as in moon landing) communications engineer and use exceptionally low noise circuitry used in the Owlsley (yes, the acid king)/John Curl (of Mark Levinson fame) designed Greatful Dead l...
Back
Top Bottom