Search results

1. Tony C.

Audio aside, what do you guys collect?

Vintage watches, but the tide has changed, and over the past ~two years I've mostly been selling watches, while upgrading the stereo system.
  2. Tony C.

What's the last nourishment you snacked on?

"Sprouted" almonds. For those unfamiliar with the process, nuts are soaked in (often salted) water for ~12 hours, then dehydrated. This changes both the taste and texture of them, and makes their nutrients more readily available. Essentially, the nuts are "tricked" into thinking that they have...
  3. Tony C.

Tested Negative for Covid, still feel like crap. Anyone else feel that way?

Absolutely it is possible: As others have suggested, you may simply have contracted another type of flu, but given your symptoms, I'd say that there is a good chance that it is a COVID variant. Has your sense of smell been affected at all? If you haven't already, you should probably take...
  4. Tony C.

Today's SOUL Playlist

Thank you! I grew up in the '70s, and was primarily attracted to soul and funk. My favorite artists at the time were Frankie Beverly and Maze, Tower of Power, and Earth Wind and Fire, though there were many others that I enjoyed. My listening interests became much more eclectic over the years...
  5. Tony C.

Today's SOUL Playlist

Underrated group from the late '70s (Breakwater). They only recorded two albums; this was the first, and their best, and includes several really good tracks.
  6. Tony C.

Denafrips Ares II in the house (after six years with Gungnir)

Thanks! I would say that they do compliment one another, but will elaborate. I have owned a fairly wide variety of components one the decades. Prior to my current system, speakers have included Dahlquist, Magnepan, Dunlavy, and the late Roy Johnson's Green Mountain Audio; amps have included...
  7. Tony C.

Denafrips Ares II in the house (after six years with Gungnir)

I recently purchased my first DAC, and it was a Pontus. I have nothing to compare it to, aside from my previous (and excellent) Electrocompaniet CD player, but am very impressed thus far. My associated equipment includes a SimAudio MOON 260 CD transport, Hegel h160 integrated amp, and Harbeth...
  8. Tony C.

Kenwood KA-9100 vs Accuphase E-202

I don't know what you are thinking of paying for the E-202, but on HiFi Shark they seem to be averaging around $1200. For around that kind of money, it would be possible, with patience, to find an E-303x, which is a far superior amp. They are not easy to find, but I know that I won't be letting...
  9. Tony C.

I'm falling in love with the Accuphase stuff

Cool! That is precisely the pair that I have been using, and couldn't be happier. Let us know what your impressions are when the service is completed.
  10. Tony C.

The Vintage High End Separates Thread

My current system is anchored by a recapped and modified Accuphase E-303x, and it sounds terrific! I also love the (aesthetic) design, and have a matching T-103 tuner, as well as an almost 20 year-old Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP. The speakers are contemporary (Harbeth P3ESR). Cheers, Tony C.
  11. Tony C.

Marantz vs. Yamaha

Marantz, and the black-faced version: :biggrin: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Marantz-2285B-Blackface-European-fully-restored-fully-recapped-/182812037871?hash=item2a907252ef:g:xC8AAOSwduNZ1~XB
  12. Tony C.

Accuphase E202 Amp T100 Tuner

I have (and am delighted with) a re-capped E303x, which isn't really relevant to your questions, but have also owned a T-100 and was quite happy with it.
  13. Tony C.

Vintage gear that makes you say "Wow"...

Yes to Accuphase (the CD player is only around 18 years old)...
  14. Tony C.

Kensonic/Accuphase owners show your stuff.

Thanks very much, Adam! I have no idea how much the upgraded posts actually improve the sound, nor do I know what the amp sounded like when new from the factory. But it is a beautiful piece of equipment, and sounds very, very good in my system, so I have no regrets about having reconditioned it...
  15. Tony C.

Kensonic/Accuphase owners show your stuff.

Ah yes, Accuphase. Having only owned a classic tuner (T-101) previously, I decided to try out a vintage integrated amp when I began to build a new system here is Lisbon. I began with an E-303, and also bought a T-103 tuner from the same seller. I was happy, but couldn't resist upgrading to an...
  16. Tony C.

OK guys – I need some advice on a (high-end) used DVD (video) player

Update: I bought the Pioneer and am quite happy. The upscaling for regular DVDs, of which I have many, is excellent. The only criticisms that I have are that the menus are a bit cumbersome, and the remote is not so well designed. But in terms of picture quality, really excellent. Don't forget...
  17. Tony C.

OK guys – I need some advice on a (high-end) used DVD (video) player

Here's the story. I am well-experienced in higher-end audio, and have owned a variety of systems over several decades. I run my current DVD player audio out through my vintage Accuphase E-303x, and the audio is just fine. When it comes to video, though, the Cary DVD-6 that I have owned for many...
  18. Tony C.

So What is Still Able to Compete?

I'm currently using a recapped Accuphase E-303x, and it sounds damn good*. I expect that it would be competitive with at least some new <$2500 integrated amps. *associated equipment: Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP (1st gen.) CD player; Harbeth P3ESR speakers; Audience Au24 interconnects and speaker...
  19. Tony C.

So What is Still Able to Compete?

I'm using a recapped Accuphase E-303x integrated amp with a set of WBT binding posts and it sounds very, very good. The T-103 tuner is from the same era. The rest of the system isn't vintage, though my Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP CD player is a first generation, so it's getting on in years...
  20. Tony C.

How Many Radios Do We AK Gear Junkies Own?

Only one, but it's a good'un... Details through this link: https://radiojayallen.com/itt-schaub-lorenz-touring-103/
  21. Tony C.

Do capacitors really need to break in?

Quite a reasonable perspective, at least on paper. The problem though, is that there are far, far too many anecdotal reports similar to mine for the new sound to be perceived as "bad" simply because it contrasts with that of a previous power source. In fact, it would be much more likely that it...
  22. Tony C.

Do capacitors really need to break in?

OK, I admit that I only read through the first two pages of this thread, then skipped ahead to add my 2¢ First, I appreciate the perspectives of those who have engineering backgrounds (I don't), and understand their basic perspective. However, there isn't any doubt in my mind that, for whatever...
  23. Tony C.

What do you consider to be a great "listening chair"

I have owned two HJELLEGJERDE (Norway) Admiral recliners over the past 25 years, and retain one of them. They are excellent both in terms of design and build quality, and are exceptionally comfortable.
  24. Tony C.

What do you consider your primary headphones?

Beyerdynamic T90 with Spirit Labs modifications, and am very happy with them.
  25. Tony C.

"NOS" Accuphase, "NOS" no more....

Damn! Beautiful components! I am using a recapped E-303X integrated, and am very happy with it.
Back
Top Bottom