Search results

1. sans-culotte

Somebody has no idea what they scored . . .

I was in my local record store yacking with my friend on the topic of "deals we've missed out on." He tells me this past summer he checked out a garage sale down the street from him. Picked up some lps and there was also some decent audio gear there, but nothing he couldn't live without. He...
  2. sans-culotte

A good price on a Thorens?

I've been in the market for a turntable and was expecting to be shelling out between $800 - $1000 to get what I wanted (and could afford). Then I found this offering and called the guy on it. A Thorens TD 166 mkii for about $500. It's got a Shure M95-HE with it. Is this a good turntable for the...
  3. sans-culotte

What model is this Pioneer?

And this is why i love Audiokarma. Thank you all!
  4. sans-culotte

Ahh, i believe it is the PL-41. So, what can i do to upgrade this thing? I kinda like it (although i'd like to get a better turntable and keep this as a back up).
  5. sans-culotte

I got this Pioneer in the mid-90's from Audio Exchange? in Chicago. Guy who sold it to me said it was a decent table back in the day. I paid like $20-$30 for it as i recall. It's been decent although it takes quite a while to get up to speed these days.
  6. sans-culotte

$550 Is this a good buy?

For the sake of brevity in my OP, i didn't state that the chip as a concern. It most certainly IS a concern of mine. I'll try and scout out the availability of replacement circuits.
  7. sans-culotte

$550 Is this a good buy?

That's what I like to hear! Thanks for your help!
  8. sans-culotte

$550 Is this a good buy?

I just sent the seller an email to set up a time to check it out (provided it hasn't been sold).
  9. sans-culotte

$550 Is this a good buy?

Thanks for drawing my attention to there being no cuing lever. I've got an old Pioneer turntable that seems to be winding down. It has a cuing lever but, it's a miserable device. I usually end up manually cuing anything up. I'm pretty accustomed to doing that as I dj at my college radio station...
  10. sans-culotte

$550 Is this a good buy?

I am in the market for a turntable.Ideally I'd like to spend somewhere around $500 (but could probably be persuaded to go as high as $800 if it was something great). As I have heard some horror stories about shipping I was trying to find something for sale locally (unless I just get disgusted...
  11. sans-culotte

Turntable values

I appreciate the input. Thank you.
  12. sans-culotte

Turntable values

Galaxie65, next to nothing on the Denon other than it's supposed to be in "excellent condition." The Thorens was converted to RCA jacks and has a Shure M95HE cartridge with it. Not sure what cartridge comes with the Denon.
  13. sans-culotte

Turntable values

A Thorens TD 166 MKII for $550 or a Denon Direct Drive Record Player Model DP - 1200 for $500 - which (if either) would you AKers consider the better buy? Thanks!
  14. sans-culotte

New owner of a Technics sa 1000 stereo receiver

I had to laugh. One of the reviews of this receiver said that "it wasn't much to look at" - I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I think she's gorgeous! I've got a much smaller Technics (SA 80 or 101, I forget right now) that someone gave to me along with a pair of EPI speakers that I...
  15. sans-culotte

EV Aristocrats in my house. . .

I'm currently driving them with a Harman Kardon 730 that, well. . .never sounded better. I wish I had an old tube Fisher but, I go with what I've got. I've listened to these speakers for a few days now and I really enjoy them. Nothing sounds out of place. They can get more than enough volume and...
  16. sans-culotte

Your bedroom must be enormous!
  17. sans-culotte

Your First Concert

That incident at the Kool & the Gang concert sounds really familiar now that you mention it. I I didn't have any other concert to compare that one to so I can't speak to the security being tight... I don't doubt it though! I remember YES was really good but our seats were at the top of Cobo and...
  18. sans-culotte

Hmm, sorry for the duplicate photos. I swear I only entered every pic one time?~
  19. sans-culotte

I decided to pull the trigger and drive through near white-out conditions to snag these Aristocrats but we all made it back to Kalamazoo in one piece. I had to swap out the old speaker wires and opening these things up is a . . . well, let's just say: It was projects like this why electric...
  20. sans-culotte

Your First Concert

I saw YES at Cobo Arena, Detroit 1976. I was in 5th grade.
  21. sans-culotte

Your thoughts?

Now that you mention it. . . Wow, yeah!
  22. sans-culotte

Your thoughts?

Yes, a lot of variables to consider! I've got a Yaquin tube amp as well as a couple of 120 wpc solid state receivers (Pioneer and Akai) and a 70 wpc Luxman... I was sort of leaning toward corner speakers. My living room is about medium size (like 21' x 18') so...I don't need Klipschorns!
  23. sans-culotte

Your thoughts?

There's a thought! Anyway, yeah when I looked up the dimensions of these, they didn't seem much taller than my large Advents - Something like...28" high or so as I recall?
  24. sans-culotte

Electro Voice Speakers. . .

Have you ever had occasion to hear the Aristocrats?
  25. sans-culotte

Your thoughts?

I looked up the dimensions of those Aristos last night before I went to bed. It seems they are a lot smaller than my buddy's Centurions. Both are corner speakers, but the Aristos must have been EV's small corner speakers?
Back
Top Bottom