Search results

1. L

NS-690s with frozen woofers

Hrm @baco99 i had a pair of 690s at one point but no guy for magnets :) im not surprised there is a guy out there who does it though haha. they are well worth restoring and the problem is semi-common
  2. L

Getting logged out of AK Going to Certain Threads

been happening to me a bunch too, seems like a straightforward fix to https any associated links on the back-end of the site. Maybe mods can take note?
  3. L

Help with placement and room treatment: Boston Acoustics A400

as far as placement options, if you are willing to rearrange your furniture I think you could achieve more in terms of just basic placement in the room. Pics can sometimes deceive in terms of perception of available space so what I suggest may not work. The way you have your speakers set up, you...
  4. L

Infinity Qb cabinet rebuild

awesome work! The fender vibe is a fun idea, sure it would be right at home in a guitar player's man cave set up
  5. L

Diatone DS-35B mkII surround dilema

I will say that the woofers are less supple than when i first applied the dot3, so i will likely have to apply it again. I'm not sure how long the ar sealant should last as I have no experience with it. Others may have more to offer on that. For the brake fluid, I did multiple passes when i did...
  6. L

Diatone DS-35B mkII surround dilema

just to toss my hat in the ring, I've used the dot3 brake fluid on my Diatone DS-501 woofers. I had to do multiple coats on the front / back and worked the woofer with some light test tones when I did it. It's been over a year and woofers still sound / feel fine. The surrounds have maintained...
  7. L

Value of Yamaha CR-1020 + NS-690 (+ orig. boxes etc.)

Opinions needed on the value of this lot of gear. Feel free to say optimal sale price, fair value, deal value etc. Yamaha CR-1020 -- excellent cosmetic / functional condition. Has original boxes, plastic wrap, manuals (user manual, some service receipts... even 70's era imagery, blast from the...
  8. L

Baco99 is the man! A Diatone Restoration

Nope, although they do a bear a striking resemblance to certain yamaha models ;) . Diatone was an arm of mitsubishi that made their drivers from the ground up and slapped them into some nice, heavy, well-braced cabinets (well nice except for the surprising use of vinyl veneer). The DS-501's...
  9. L

cream would have looked good too, but that pop of lime is pretty fun! The walnut veneer alongside looks good. Worst case you can always repaint with a little elbow grease. Formica seems to be an easy path to a durable finish, I think like with all things it helps to see examples and also have a...
  10. L

I believe that what tipped me when using the formica was first mentioned was that (according to the internet) some NHT speakers were veneered using formica. I didn't mind the finish at all on my nht 1.3's at the time and trusted baco99. I think it does help the drivers are not the standard black...
  11. L

Baco99, the man behind Holt Hill Audio, and many a restoration project that has made members here happy has done it again; this time with my Diatone DS-501s. A long time ago, when I started my audio journey, I acquired a pair of rough appearance Diatone DS-501's with good functioning drivers...
  12. L

Diatone DS50c or JBL L100 ?

Although just checking now that you are in the Philippines the availability of the diatone vs jbl may not be as severe a trade-off as it is in the u.s.
  13. L

Diatone DS50c or JBL L100 ?

Given my diatone ds-501 knocked out my jbl 4410 my vote goes to diatone. If in your journey you want to revisit the l100s you can do so relatively easily. Diatone not so much. I guess info on condition, preference in sound and your other equipment could help you make a decision about what you do...
  14. L

B-se Acoustic Wave Toilet!

What a listening space. Seems the gear is atop a good throne :rflmao:
  15. L

Diatone DS 303.. don't bother.

phew, for a second I thought this would be a bad review of some diatones... shame the seller was dishonest with the pics of the second unit. my guess is that will sit on CL for a while at that price. you may have some leeway to haggle down and just expect to either have them repaired or live...
  16. L

Sony TT with SME? Tonearm, Speakers - Online Auction - Hudson Mass. ends tonight

Unfortunately the thread in general audio isn't mine, but I did respond. Would it be odd to ask mods to move it anyways for response potential? There's not a lot of info about the quality / potential behind the reference series online from what I've found
  17. L

Sony TT with SME? Tonearm, Speakers - Online Auction - Hudson Mass. ends tonight

My high bid was hovering around 50, mostly cuz I had to get a uhaul as I drive a crv and don't have a friend with a truck. I figured people were bidding up the other gear and not paying much attention to the bulky console with no description and blurry pics. Had a pretty good idea what was in...
  18. L

I didn't frequent this thread at the time, but I was the one who won that, so at least in the ak family Turntable needs a lot of work but the arm is in good condition. The speakers work too although the cabs are not the greatest for them bass wise. The arm I'm 95% sure is an sme 3009 ii...
  19. L

Nakamichi/Mitsubishi diatone woofer/tweeters, any opinions?

Can't say I've compared them to ads side by side. But I have a pair of ds-501s and enjoy them a ton. @baco99 may be able to speak to that since he's had them both pass through his shop. I also just got a hold of some of the drivers / baffle in the 2s-208 and the nakamichi Slimline monitors...
  20. L

Diatone DS-505 recap and refresh

beautiful, I have posted some about my ds-501's the 505's are even more gorgeous. hold onto those for dear life, I can only think >5 instances of people posting about owning a pair in the U.S. from what i've seen googling (and from a member pm'ing me with questions). Hopefully the tweeter...
  21. L

ONKYO Model 12

not sure about the quality of the model 12's but I can speak for the pair of 15's in my possession. looks like metal dome mids, soft dome tweets. the cabinets are very well reinforced (bracing all around the mid-section, triangular braces to make each side more rigid.) Heavy copper trace pcb...
  22. L

Getting hard with age - 10" Diatone

brake fluid is the way to go. I used it on the woofers of my diatone ds-501s that were having similar issues. 1 coat + some time and then another coat and some time has them pretty pliable. No visible deterioration after a couple of months now of them playing, and it helped the low end a good...
  23. L

How to improve my setup for better sound?

get your speaker positioning figured out, get some "cheap" room treatment going. You'll consistently see members here and other places being "shocked" at how good a budget system can sound, and more often or not when you look at their pics they tend to have good rooms and placement going. It is...
  24. L

Amp upgrade advice for early 70s Diatone SS600 loudspeakers

I'm of the same opinion as ds2000 on the recap. My altec stonehenge's measured fine, but the tweets started to distort with high wattage, thought they were going until I recapped and now have 0 issues. The caps may measure fine but could have higher ESR with age, which can do some funny things...
  25. L

Did Mitsubishi make any good speakers?

seconding what everyone recommends with the audio database to examine their "good" models. I have a pair of the ds-501's and the build quality / construction, and most importantly sound is very, very nice. Worth pursuing diatone stuff for sure, mitsubishi rack stuff probably not so much.
Back
Top Bottom