Search results

1. Pyrrho

Pioneer Component ID?

No. The silvery rectangular area on the right on the top would be black if it were the PL-112D. It looks like the PL-115D, which looks like the PL-112D, except the PL-115D has that silvery part on the right. Aside from having owned the PL-112D, I wrote the above while looking at a Pioneer...
  2. Pyrrho

How much to spend on cables?

People often resort to mockery when they have nothing of value to say, and are unable to reasonably engage in the issues involved.
  3. Pyrrho

A-S801 to A-S1100 or A-S1200

82dB signal to noise ratio is better than what you will ever actually get off of vinyl. Even with a new record that is perfectly clean and even if your turntable is the best ever made and perfectly set up. So 82dB signal to noise ratio is more than good enough. The better preamp that can give a...
  4. Pyrrho

Vintage gear vs. new gear (redux)

The thing is, you can get new silver units with plenty of knobs. For one example, Yamaha makes integrated amplifiers with the option of either a black or a silver face, starting with the A-S501 and going up. Only the bottom of the line A-S301 is available only in black. With the Yamaha 2 channel...
  5. Pyrrho

thoughts on market price for classic audio equipment?

I have been a receiver guy, but only because, historically, if one wanted a preamp, power amp, and tuner, and one had a small budget, one could get better performance for one's money with a receiver than with separates or with an integrated amplifier and tuner. That, though, was new prices, for...
  6. Pyrrho

SX-780/880 New Case

I think it should have a lot more holes. The original has a lot more holes, a lot more venting, and so you will be risking overheating yours. You should have equal or have greater venting, or yours will be hotter than with a stock case.
  7. Pyrrho

When subjected to proper scientific testing, neither can other people. The trick is, to get people to refuse to consider science, and just "let their ears decide," and then one can get a lot of money selling wires.
  8. Pyrrho

Preamp vs EQ loop output levels?

One other thing: Another reason a tape monitor/processor loop is better is because then you can switch the EQ or other processor completely out of the signal path if you wish to do so. I recommend that you do the experiment I suggested, to see if you can get away with your EQ in between the...
  9. Pyrrho

Preamp vs EQ loop output levels?

You have the gear to be able to try it, so I suggest you try it. Insert the EQ in between your preamp and your power amp. It is possible that the output level of the preamp will be too much for the EQ, which should be revealed by trying it. You can start off with the volume control on your...
  10. Pyrrho

Integrated amplifier with pre-out protection?

My Pioneer SX-1250 does not have a thump from the preamp output on turn on or off (yes, I have used it with a separate power amp). I would imagine that the Pioneer integrated amplifiers from that era (mid to late 1970's) would also be fine. Though, honestly, if the plan is to just use it as a...
  11. Pyrrho

Anyone ever use the Tape Head input?

Others have already explained the tape head input, being there for a tape deck that lacks the electronics to bring the signal off the heads to line level, but it reminds me of another old thing that used to be common. You may have seen old gear with the ability to output just the right channel...
  12. Pyrrho

Record/Stereo Cabinet Ideas

There are many options, some of which are very nice and very expensive, some are usable and cheap. Some years ago, I bought a solid oak (not veneer) audio rack for a decent price on eBay; maybe $100 or so (it is too long ago for me to remember the price). It came unassembled, but was easy to put...
  13. Pyrrho

Paul McCartney's missing '61 Hofner bass has been found

Maybe. But no one gets the years back. Now excuse me while I go bathe in the blood of virgins to defy aging.
  14. Pyrrho

It means that the salespeople want a big commission and the store wants high profits.
  15. Pyrrho

Magnepan SMG Speakers - A Few Questions for Magnepan Owners

Many problems can be solved with spending more money (if it is well spent). For example, deep bass is expensive, and so most budget speakers don't even try for that. But a few very expensive speakers have been able to produce deep bass. This is not anything new; the old Infinity Quantum Line...
  16. Pyrrho

Which Pioneer amps were tube amps?

No: https://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/m-22-e.html https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/m-22.shtml https://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/m-25-e.html https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/m-25.shtml
  17. Pyrrho

One of the good things about using that AVR is that you can use the bass management feature, and filter the bass going to the Magnepan speakers. This will place less of a demand on the amplifiers in the AVR, because they will not be amplifying the bass frequencies, which typically are where most...
  18. Pyrrho

Just to be clear, my speakers that I never plan on upgrading are similar in concept to Magnepan speakers. These. So I am far from thinking that the general concept is a bad one. The SMG, though, was the bottom of the line for Magnepan. So you should expect almost every other Magnepan speaker to...
  19. Pyrrho

Genesis Physics 3 - Improvements?

I ran into a problem like that with a pair of speakers I have. At first, I though it was a problem with the woofer. However, in my case, the problem was not the woofer, but that the tweeter was not tight enough against the cabinet, so it would make noise when a particular bass frequency was...
  20. Pyrrho

Itching to upgrade, looking for opinions.

Auditioning when traveling for work is a good idea, even if you cannot pick them up at that time (though you may be able to arrange shipping of them at that time). Other than that, my advice would be to look for online reviews in which the speakers are actually measured, to see if there are...
  21. Pyrrho

Today's classical playlist

No. If for you, all of the images are the same size, your device must be doing that.
  22. Pyrrho

Is $1350 too much to pay these days for Infinity RS 2.5 speakers?

I expect that you meant to say that you would not sell yours for twice the price. Certainly, the reputation and original cost would suggest that they may be that valuable, but monetary value always depends upon someone being willing to pay, which makes monetary value subjective in a way, and...
  23. Pyrrho

Today's classical playlist

I expect that many don't think about the size of the photo they select when posting. Some might regard a big photo as a virtue rather than a vice, and willfully select a big photo. How it all seems depends on what one uses to view the site. In my case, the big photos are not a problem, as I am...
  24. Pyrrho

Full disclosure: I am a former Magnepan owner. You can stop reading this if you only want current Magnepan owners to reply. In good condition, that is a reasonable price. If they look good and sound good, with no "buzzing" when playing bass heavy music at a reasonably loud volume, that price...
  25. Pyrrho

Is $1350 too much to pay these days for Infinity RS 2.5 speakers?

If you can listen to them for an extended period of time, with music with which you are familiar, that would be a good idea. It is not a crazy price for a pair in good condition, but large speakers like that are often difficult to resell if you decide you don't like them. So, if they are your...
Back
Top Bottom