Search results

1. dbCooper

Yamaha CA-1010 Major Restoration

Will, your work is very impressive! You chose an excellent amp to restore. The Yamaha amps of this vintage were extremely well built and very conservatively rated. When I scoped mine back in the day it had a perfect square wave and put out about 15% more power than it's rating before clipping...
  2. dbCooper

New Telefunken from JJ

+1 People shouldn't let their idol worship of legendary brands get in the way. The quality, or lack thereof, of these new tubes will soon be known once people start using them. OTH I guess one upside of having low expectations based on warm, fuzzy recollections of the good ol' days is...
  3. dbCooper

Fairchild 260 voltage readings

As always, thanks for the encouragement! Do you mean you actually are running the original 1950s filter caps?! If so, that's impressive! Do you know whether they are Mallory, Pyramid or Sangamo? If you're not running your 260s, what have you been listening to? The JJ multi-section caps I...
  4. dbCooper

So, I measured the voltage at C1 section A that goes to pin 8 on V5&6. About 10 seconds after I turn the power on I read ~568V and it then comes down to around 512V when things stabilize. Who knows how long my 500V JJs will last at those voltages? The readings on section B is about the same...
  5. dbCooper

Thanks for the replies! The Fairchild 260 was designed for 117V. My house voltage is now 120-121V. I'm pretty sure this accounts for some of the high readings. Batt, you have an interesting point about the meter. I'm using a Fluke DVM which is way more accurate than was required in the '50s...
  6. dbCooper

Finally, I've started putting my second 260 together! I recently painted the transformers, drilled out the rivets for the old sockets, installed NOS sockets using binder screws/nuts and replaced the heater wiring. Before beginning to solder components, I decided to take some voltage readings...
  7. dbCooper

Looking for new rectifier tubes... 5U4G etc.

+1000. It's basically converting AC to DC. Other than that the only difference is the voltage output which can vary depending on the specific tube. Rectifiers aren't in the signal path. Differences in voltage can cause audible differences such as "sag", but I doubt you'll hear what was...
  8. dbCooper

Size of ADS 1590 grill pegs

They are 3/4" measuring from the base to the shoulder as you've measured in your photo.
  9. dbCooper

Left the hatch on my wagon open last night with a tube amp sitting in the back

In the 1970s someone hot wired my '65 VW bug. As the officer was taking a police report, another officer radioed saying he'd found the car a block and a half away. When we arrived we found that the thief had left it in the middle of the street when it ran out of gas. He'd cut himself on sheet...
  10. dbCooper

My new Empire...with an SME tonearm?

Awesome score!!!! I suggest dumping the mat and replacing with cork or a carbon fiber anti static mat. On mine, I had a fellow audiofile in the bay area remove the pop-up 45 adaptor and fill the opening with a metal plug. He then machined the platter so it is flat from edge to spindle. It...
  11. dbCooper

Fairchild tube amplifiers

I must be psychic or something to have stumbled back at the same time this thread started! On one hand, it is great seeing Fairchild receiving the attention it deserves. On the other hand, as more and more audiophiles become aware of the quality and performance of Fairchild electronics, my...
  12. dbCooper

jimtone, don't give up! As impossible as it seems, something could pop up when you least expect it. I first learned about Fairchild amps 6 or 7 years ago and stumbled onto my pair of 260s needing complete restoration. Although the guy I got them from assured me that I could do it myself, I...
  13. dbCooper

Hey Radioactive, long time no see! A job change took over my life a few years ago, so all of my free time pretty much vanished. Now I'm making time and it's good to be back on line with AK! When I picked up my 260 from the guy who rebuilt it, we put it on the scope and it cranked out 60...
  14. dbCooper

World series!!!!!!!

I was thinking of calling in sick to work today to join the ticker tape parade festivities. It would be my luck that I'd be seen on TV if I did, so I decided against it. I'm sure it will be a blast! :beerchug: During the final game the camera panned the Giants fans and zoomed in on someone we...
  15. dbCooper

World series!!!!!!!

I guess "Lights Out Lee" couldn't find the switch. :D
  16. dbCooper

I know roast my own coffee beans....cool ah?

They actually taste better if they are allowed to off gas for a couple of days.
  17. dbCooper

"I left my heart in San Francisco"

Expertly done! They MESSED with Texas big time!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
  18. dbCooper

Voice of Music 6BQ5 Console

That is the V-M Model 817. It's included in a brochure that I got from my neighbor. It's yours if you want it. Just send me a PM.
  19. dbCooper

MC275 stupidity

If it sounds fine now, don't loose sleep over it.
  20. dbCooper

A/D/S line pecking order?

Welcome to AK! I have a pair of Rosewood L1590 Series 2. I paid somewhere between 500 and 750, I can't remember. While I slightly preferred my old L1290s, this speaker offers unbelievable sound quality for the price. You should contact the owner to see if you can audition them before bidding...
  21. dbCooper

Demystifying the Van Alstine input filter

Wow, I admire people like you who understand the nuts and bolts, er, saturation and phase shifts and complex workings of tube equipment! My brain just doesn't work that way. :D
  22. dbCooper

IPods and You

iPod mini needs new battery I'm hoping to hear from onepixel or anyone else who has replaced their own battery. Mine won't hold a charge for longer than two days so it's time to replace it. I'm looking for recommendations on suppliers. While I'm in there, I plan to replace the micro-drive...
  23. dbCooper

Free Magnepan MMG!

Congrats! I miss my MMGs. The right tube amp will make your MG-1 sound wonderful. However, at only 86dB, this isn't a very efficient speaker. You'll need a beefy tube amp with a 4 ohm tap to make it really sing. I'm thinking at least 50 watts. Since you can bi-wire this speaker it...
  24. dbCooper

Svetlana "Winged-C" EL34 vs. Shuguang EL34-B: First impressions

I coined the term "audio suggestion" back in the early '80s when a friend and I were comparing different components blind. :D
  25. dbCooper

Coupling caps

+1 :thmbsp:
Back
Top Bottom