Search results

1. Leben

FLEA WATT Speaker(s). Whatcha using ?

I have an old mono Altec horn setup in a space I used to work in. It's powered by an Pass ACA amp. It doesn't get much use anymore but with the weight of the tar-filled horn, drivers and cabinet, I have little motivation to move it back upstairs. It sounds clear and smooth, perhaps it's time.
  2. Leben

JBL SR4732 for home theater?

Yes, that’s what I meant. I figure it’s a lot like excess horsepower in a car, just because you have it doesn’t mean you have to speed. :)
  3. Leben

JBL SR4732 for home theater?

I agree with Mr Brennan. The speakers that get the most use here use components out of Altec A7-500 theater speakers in some homemade Altec based bass reflex cabinets. IMO, there’s nothing wrong with using pro speakers in a home setting, all it takes is some volume control.
  4. Leben

The Ben Hur Test

Congrats on your new speakers, Tom. Great combination, how did they do?
  5. Leben

Lansing Mfg. Co

Oh wow, that’s the real deal from a Lansing collector standpoint. 1933-35 would be right around the years Lansing was working with Dr Hilliard on the Shearer horn project. Field coil and everything, fantastic!
  6. Leben

Best cabinet for a 416-8C (flat ferrite magnet), 511B, 902-8T and more

I’m enjoying following your build. Looks great!
  7. Leben

Catmanboo is a great seller

I recently purchased some gear from @Catmanboo , I’ll say that everything about the transaction went great. Great communication with fast responses, accurate descriptions, fair pricing and packaging that was some of the best I’ve ever seen. I would not hesitate to buy from Catmanboo again!
  8. Leben

Show your Bicycle !

The bike’s ready for RAGBRAI, but I’d need a tune up first ;) . I’d like to go if I could manage to take off work that week. Either rear bag will carry a small, soft-sided cooler well :)
  9. Leben

Show your Bicycle !

Fun thread, I'll have to go back through it when I have time. Here's my old Miyata One Thousand touring bike. I started with the frame only and built it piece by piece. I hope to get a few more trips in with it, while I'm able.
  10. Leben

The speakers are Stephens B-100 cabinets from the late 1950s, around the same age as your Eames. I ended up with them because of the generosity of a fellow AKer. They were missing drivers so I had multiple paths I could have taken. It took some effort to refurbish the cabinets and come up with...
  11. Leben

Love your Eames designed Stephens speaker! I have an article on the history on Eames’s involvement with the Stephens brand that I’ll try to find and send to you. It was a neat point in hifi history. Yours is a wonderful speaker, Glad you’re enjoying it!
  12. Leben

Hey @SixCats!, I’m a Stephens fan too and use low wattage amps in a couple Stephens systems. I’m using 2A3 amps in my main system. I use the cabinets as bass bins with horns on top. When I was using an active crossover, I used the 2a3 amps with the horns only (SS with woofers). I’m now using...
  13. Leben

GordonW - Great Seller

I agree with others, I’ve had multiple positive transactions with @GordonW . One of my favorite AKers!
  14. Leben

ESS Heil Tweeters on Sale

I’m currently using 4uf but I don’t think I’m done playing around with values yet.
  15. Leben

Since the Heils have similar sensitivity to my Stephens drivers, I’m using a single capacitor to bring them in where the Stephens drivers start to naturally roll off.
  16. Leben

I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of them paired with the Altec woofers.
  17. Leben

ESS AMTs are one of my favorite drivers. IMO, they’re great for DIY and are a great value considering what they can add to a setup. I’ve enjoyed them in AMT3 “rock monitors” in the past and am now using a pair as super tweeters with DIY full range Stephens drivers.
  18. Leben

Stephens Trusonic Speakers

Hello, Sam. Congrats on your 206 and Karlson cabinet. It is my understanding that Stephens never made a purposely tilted horn with their coaxial drivers, at least none that I’ve seen in my years of paying attention to Stephens products and collecting old drivers and catalogs. Your’s is most...
  19. Leben

Good and cheap use for the 4560?

I’ve used 4560s a fair amount over the last several years. I agree with Tom’s assessment about them being tight and dynamic. IMO, they’re every bit as good or even slightly better (better bracing) than their Altec VOTT bass bin counterparts. I’ve used them with cheaper Eminence woofers and JBL...
  20. Leben

Happy Birthday Tom Brennan!

Happy Birthday, Tom!
  21. Leben

Help me build a set of speakers around these horns

What’s your location? I’m sure there are several AK members like myself that have extra cabinets. IMO&E I’d be looking for some horn bass bins like Altec VOTT or JBL 4560s. If you don’t want to use subs, You could build or buy large ported cabinets.
  22. Leben

Stephens coaxial project

Thanks for the kind words, @-reverb-! I really do love these and am thankful for the opportunity to enjoy them. Yes, if you’re ever near this area please stop by for a visit and a listen. I really hope that we get the chance to meet in person someday!
  23. Leben

An Audio Meetup for All before Fall - Eastern Iowa - Aug 14

Wish I could make it but unfortunately I have to cover open hours with my business then. Some good audio friends attending this one, should be a great time for all that attend!
  24. Leben

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Rectilinear III Lowboys. They do come up for sale occasionally. IMO, they’re a good value for the price they usually sell for.
  25. Leben

Iowa to St.Pete Florida and back this week

My wife is interested in getting a stereo console, if it has the right aesthetic. If you have any extra gems down there, PM me.
Back
Top Bottom