Search results

1. Thom 2230

Built new case for my Fisher RS-2010

Great job!!
  2. Thom 2230

Transmission Line DIYers. Advice needed.

Nat, thanks for sharing your knowledge! Your descriptions pretty much nailed what these speakers actually are. It seems I've stumbled across an Acoustical Labyrinth. As I mentioned above, a friend who has had much more time critically listening experience than me would like to hear a copy of...
  3. Thom 2230

I may have over extenuated the issue here. The fact of the matter is these VoM's are little jems! They are astounding.I thought by removing distortion lurking in corners might improve bass, But it looks like I'm trying to gild the lily. With the knowledge I've gained and the encouragement of a...
  4. Thom 2230

Transmission Line DIYers.

I may be going down that road. A friend here has been trying to convince we to use my furniture making talents to build a single driver TL. He's talking high end 5 1/2" driver - I'm having a hard time getting my head around taking the risk.
  5. Thom 2230

Thanks for the reference reading. I did not realize how much engineering and trial and error went into the TL speakers. I'm sure I have given the impression that I want to tweak these speakers because they don't sound good. That is not true! They are surprising little gems! It is just my nature...
  6. Thom 2230

Thanks for the tip - the folks are great at sharing information.
  7. Thom 2230

It would be a lot of work no question. Can you explain standing waves?
  8. Thom 2230

Transmission Line DIYers. Advice needed. I have been working with a pair of Voice of Music model 38’s a year now and have been pondering a modification upgrade. The bass exits the rear of these little 12”X12”X18” boxes through a 51/2”square tunnel. In the sound”s journey it goes through 10...
  9. Thom 2230

NHT 2.3 a speakers Goodwill score $7.99 each

Great snag!!! I'm for my dry spell to be over.
  10. Thom 2230

Transmission Line DIYers. Advice needed. I have been working with a pair of Voice of Music model 38’s a year now and have been pondering a modification upgrade. The bass exits the rear of these little12”X12”X18” boxes through a 51/2”square tunnel. In the sound”s journey it goes through 10...
  11. Thom 2230

Voice of Music #38 transmision line tweaks

Good morning Pete. I have some more info about the 38's. The box size is 12"x 12"x 18". And I found the frequency response for the 5 1/4" driver is 60 - 15,000 Hz. I have been extremely surprised by the sound of these little speakers. I bough them for pennies with only one speaker was working...
  12. Thom 2230

Pete thanks for the responce. As best as I can estimate the transmition tube is 90" It is a single 4 5/8" driver, 15 watt, 30 peak and 8 ohms . That's about all the info I can provide with out a little coaching. I did have the voice coils rewound about 6 months ago. They sound good - hoping I...
  13. Thom 2230

Transmission Line speaker tweaking help needed! Hello all, A several months back I posted questions about a pair of Voice of Music 38 speakers. (check out VM mid-century mystery in speaker forum) Since then I have been trying to learn what I can about transmission line speakers and...
  14. Thom 2230

How can a tweeter be tempered?

Hey Guys, thanks the great info. I am on the road for a few days, and there are things I'm going to need clarification on. I will continue the conversation asap.
  15. Thom 2230

I generally listen to them with the original grill covers on.
  16. Thom 2230

Over the past several months I have been experimenting with improvements to an old pair of University S-80 speakers. Changes have been basic, and I have done work to one speaker then compared with unmodified one then leap frogging changes. Work done to date: New caps - Bed liner applied to...
  17. Thom 2230

Voice of music speakers-what are they?

I am currently playing with a pair of VoM 38's I pick up last summer. One voice coil was shot, so had both drivers rebuilt. I am not sad I did, they are amazing little speakers. It is hard to believe that a pair of 4 1/2" driver could sound so good! Check out my posts - I've posted the rebuild...
  18. Thom 2230

Voice of Music (V-M Corp) Speakers - heard of them?

I am currently playing with a pair of VoM 38's I pick up last summer. One voice coil was shot, so had both drivers rebuilt. I am not sad I did, they are amazing little speakers. It is hard to believe that a pair of 4 1/2" driver could sound so good! Check out my posts - I've posted the rebuild...
  19. Thom 2230

VM mid-century mystery

Hey Guys It has been a long, long time sense checking in! But, I have been working on the VM 38’s in the interim, and there is success to report! First, I decided to have both drivers re-built. They were shipped off to Neal’s Speaker Service, in Colfax, Ca.They did a great job at a very...
  20. Thom 2230

VM mid-century mystery

Hold on I'm new to this - and need some clarification. TS measurements? And what parameters? Is that physical measurements? The thing I know how to deal with are the boxes and they need a lot of work. But I am a furniture maker. There so photos of my case for the Fisher 400 somewhere. Anyone...
  21. Thom 2230

VM mid-century mystery

OK, Stuart, how do you know all this info about old speakers? Because of the dating difference from speaker to the cabinet I thought the blown speaker could have been an odd replacement. But both carry the same number. Ideas for the next step?
  22. Thom 2230

VM mid-century mystery

Nat, It has been a hectic four months since thinking about my Voice of Music speaker project. Thanks for your kind offer to look into a solution. I have taken a tentative look into having the voice coil redone - from the little I've found it sounds like a big investment. Below is a photo of the...
  23. Thom 2230

VM mid-century mystery

Nat, can you tell from the above photo if the magnet has moved?
  24. Thom 2230

VM mid-century mystery

I got the voice coil checked - no short! And the wires to the cone are in perfect condition. It is possible I had a bad connection, but i really doubt it. I will try again. This is a very small speaker for all this sound!
  25. Thom 2230

VM mid-century mystery

Andy, have you seen the "38's" in person or a photo? I'd like to know if there is a left and right model or is there just one version.
Back
Top Bottom