Search results

1. P

New To Me AU-7900

NICE AMP!! It reminds me of its cousins the AU-9900 and 11000. Sweet. Don't use a relay! That's the hard way to go. Use a TRIAC as in this great thread. I suggest you read the whole thread and get the exact part recommended. I recently finished my AU-11000 restore and had to rebuild the...
  2. P

AU-11000 bias problems

Has anyone else noticed the drifting bias in the AU-9900/11000 or other Sansui models? No comments? No interest?
  3. P

AU-11000 bias problems

:banana: Man, I am LOVING my Sansui integrated amplifier! Last night I was able to get the bias current and DC offset voltage set to acceptable values using the method defined by dr*audio (different from the SM). And it sounds so good with my Axiom M60Ti tower speakers!!! I had some doubts about...
  4. P

F-2570 EQ: parallel caps - help identify

Hi Billy Dio. Thanks for the ideas but too bad I'm already done. I'm surprised at how many people say they can hear the differences from using different types of caps! I left the polystyrene caps in place everywhere and never tested any, assuming they aren't the ones that change over time.
  5. P

AU-11000 bias problems

I guess I'll check continuity with power off between the resistor and pins to confirm which one. Thanks pete. Sriskie, thanks for the tip and I'll remember that. I'm actually checking voltages and the meter seems good. Off to appointments now and back on this in a few hours.
  6. P

AU-11000 bias problems

Well, the bad news is I have not successfully set the bias yet but will try again tonight. Trimming the bias pots didn't seem to do anything at all most of the time, both sides hovered at around zero mv. I kept thinking I was connecting the meter in the wrong place but after checking it looked...
  7. P

AU-11000 bias problems

No, so no. It turns out that the AU-9900 and AU-11000 do not have any of those pesky things, but have other little issues like driver board transistors that are little time bombs (to quote dr*audio). Thanks for asking.
  8. P

AU-11000 bias problems

Thanks but I need to get my own working. Someone here will want it. I suggest you post on the proper forum though, for selling stuff. Also consider doing a restore or having someone else do that. It will be worth more -- not sure if enough to recover the costs of upgrading it but maybe. Maybe a...
  9. P

AU-11000 bias problems

Sorry if I wasn't clear; I'm sort of following the procedure that AK Subscriber dr*audio uses and others are following for the AU-9900 and AU-11000 integrated amps. He says don't measure current like the SA says, but measure voltage across two emitters of the power transistors, one PNP and one...
  10. P

AU-11000 bias problems

So should I cycle thru repeats of this, i.e. adjust offset first, then bias, then offset? The problem is though that I haven't gotten close to the right bias emitter volts at all. I keep coming back to these questions in my mind. Would bad biasing explain the very weak audio signal (barely...
  11. P

AU-11000 bias problems

Thanks Hyperion. Maybe I'm reading the manual wrong on that point. I have heard of re-checking the offset since other changes could make it drift. I'm uploading part of the manual. See the "condition" on step 1 and 2. Is this not what I should have done? But I don't think that's the problem.
  12. P

AU-11000 bias problems

I finished the recap and restore to the point where all boards were back in the case and everything connected. I was able to set DC offset voltage by the manual method, which includes turning the bias trim pots all the way minimum (clockwise). Then I tried to do the bias current process as...
  13. P

Thanks Hyperion -- I was assuming they were some kind of old style electrolytic. After all, the Parts List said they were electrolytic and the Sansui parts list never lies, right? And those 3.3 caps I'll replace with WIMA film 3.3/50 from Mouser. Hope that's a good enough cap; I've seen others...
  14. P

What noobishness on my part. First, I see there are two 270pf P.C. listed on the parts list with no location; same for the four ceramic caps on the back. So the paralleled caps on back of the board are all listed without locations. I'm sorry I missed that. And now, to top things off, I think...
  15. P

More noob questions; thanks for your patience. In my AU-11000 the Equalizer board has two cap values different from the parts list (C9, C10 are 4700pf on the board and 1000pf in the parts list -- just for the record). And there are some paralleled caps on the back I didn't see until I removed...
  16. P

AU-11000 recap. Are these fusible resistors?

AWESOME!!! This means it could be my final parts shipment for this rebuild arriving today. Yippee ki-yay as they say...somewhere... Thanks again Hyperion. You are always helpful.
  17. P

Well, that's one of my favorite words, sometimes! Thanks for the quick response Hyperion, but could you tell me how you can tell these are NOT fusible resistors? Just not the right color? Also do you know if the AU-11000 has any fusible resistors? I haven't seen anything other than advice...
  18. P

I'm done with my three power supply boards, the first step in my recap/restore of my AU-11000, and the unit powered up with no smoke and not much noise at all on headphones, other than pot noise from the main volume which will be dealt with soon. The biggest expense was the 4 large filter caps...
  19. P

Axiom speakers? Regrets?

I agree and also true for good and bad recordings. I just listened to Steely Dan's Aja from a CD player through my cheap TEAC amp and the M60 towers and it sounded awesome. I made me realize I have been listening to lots of music via YouTube over my BluRay player -- not that great of audio...
  20. P

Axiom speakers? Regrets?

I've searched the forums and there is scant mention of this speaker company. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced Axiom speakers and what you think. I'm still not convinced my purchase was wise, but in 2004 I bought M60ti tower speakers for around $800, delivered from Canada. I might have...
  21. P

AU-11000 power supply heat discoloration

Well thanks Hyperion; I'm feeling a bit relieved. I like your idea of using ceramic beads and I will look for some. Thanks for replying.
  22. P

AU-11000 power supply heat discoloration

I noticed there's evidence of pretty high heat on one of my power supply boards, F-2568, near some power resistors, and I'm wondering what I should check out if anything. This amp was working a few months ago when I shut it down to start looking into restoring it. In the picture of the board I...
  23. P

Sansui AU-11000a

It won't hurt to hook it up backwards to find out, assuming you can safely turn power on without the front panel installed. Red, then green, right?
  24. P

AU-11000 big power supply caps - screwed on

Thanks for letting me off the hook that easily JOMARK911. I've been away from electronics for a long time and even forgot the small latin numbering letters. And we're still not metric in California! LOL.
  25. P

AU-11000 big power supply caps - screwed on

Hey Mark B thanks for the input and my apologies for not saying that earlier. Instead I started immediately searching for that and it looks like I found what I needed! Thanks again. And it was your input that got me the right search terms.
Back
Top Bottom