Search results

1. noveltone

Sansui Oval Caps - Good Results Reforming

Hey folks, For too long I've been away from AK! I've been lured back by my good friend @hrtattckcity. I wanted to share some info that helped me avoid taking apart the special oval capacitors on my Sansui AU-919. On this amp I have restored many elements over the years, much of it about ten...
  2. noveltone

Rick Stout of StereoManuals.com has died

Rachel, I'm very sorry to hear of Rick's death. In just a few phone calls with him over the years, I got a special feeling that I was lucky to have that moment. He mattered to me and as you can see many others too. I'm so glad that you shared this news here so I could know what happened to him...
  3. noveltone

Stereomanuals.com? Legit? Safe?

I'm glad to hear Rick is still around but too bad about the tech and health problems. I feel a sense of panic thinking about dealing with several thousand old orders after what sounds like a ransomware attack. I hope he can get some elves to help him process these. Knowing Rick's particularly...
  4. noveltone

Fall Extended Philly area meetup

I sure enjoyed meeting a few of you all, hope to come to another meetup. Collin
  5. noveltone

Dynaco Dynakit St-70 rebuild thread

Hey thanks @Lavane and @hrtattckcity. Here is some info about the parts I used. I got them from Digikey. Diodes: Qty 3 Vishay VS-HFA06TB120-M3; HEXFRED 1.2KV 6A TO220AC, soft recovery types. Resistor: Qty 1 Ohmite TNP10SC50R0FE; Thin Film 50Ω 10W TO-126. 10w only with heatsink. Heat Sink: Qty 1...
  6. noveltone

Dynaco Dynakit St-70 rebuild thread

Getting back briefly to the power supply rectifier, I think Dave G's concern has more to do with power transformer currents having parity with original. If 600V caps are provided and tubes down't draw current until later, this seems to be a good approach. To avoid yellowjacket testing, Dave's...
  7. noveltone

Sansui AU-919 Tone Defeat Inop

Sounds like you found the little rectangular terminals for the bias adjustment. If you're going to be in there, get a good quality reproduction from the guy at the link below. I've bought lots from him and they are first rate. In this case it's $15 plus shipping...
  8. noveltone

Another AU-919 Oval Capacitor upgrade.

Congrats on finishing up this project and thank you for sharing the details including much improved ripple figures. Interesting that the DC voltage went up a little. Enjoy it over the holidays!
  9. noveltone

Very nice metal work!
  10. noveltone

What he did is an improvement on the mechanical bond between the metal tabs and the PCB. Worth burying a bypass cap forever, I don't know nearly enough to say. The part I found fascinating was the way he cleaned all the switches. Couldn't quite make out how he decided whether or not to use...
  11. noveltone

:lurk: Good luck to you sir. Where did you find that heatshrink? Have you been able to successfully heatshrink it yet using the heat gun? That will be my approach when I do this some day. Ilimzn's Croatian thread was fascinating, right?
  12. noveltone

CD burning issues

I will have to try CD-RWs some time. If luck strikes, a disc that goes bad could be re-written with the same info. If not, oh well. Library of Congress did a study of longevity of this type of media, but unfortunately did not include CD-RW...
  13. noveltone

CD burning issues

Sorry to chime in late to this thread. I had this problem with my Rotel from the 1990s and found that the Taiyo Yuden CDRs seem to work better than the cheapies I had tried. Yet they are still cheap at 27 cents per disc. Plus they don't have the ugly pre-printed labels, just a blank disc...
  14. noveltone

ALPs blue pots on eBay - genuine or not?

I have had good results from this source, for $16. It is a 50K model, however. http://www.tangentsoft.net/shop/
  15. noveltone

AU-919 capacitor replacement

We might all have differences on philosophy when it comes to repair of old electronics, but the results provided by the vintage expert techs here such as EchoWars cannot be denied. I have personally benefited many times from these results, when few others had any idea how to help, professional...
  16. noveltone

AU-919 direct coupled...why use "audio grade electrolytics"

Yes I am sure about the Flat amp. Looking again the MC Head amp I see 1uF film caps in the output path. In addition there is a 5pF cap in what I think is the feedback path in the Flat amp. That is something I don't know with certainty. In addition I think I see the same pair of 100uF caps w/...
  17. noveltone

AU-919 direct coupled...why use "audio grade electrolytics"

For what it's worth, there are a total of eight electrolytic 100uF caps in the signal path in this particular amp. In the Flat Amp, they are installed back to back, forming an equivalent 50uF nonpolar. There are two per channel there, C19-C22. In addition, there are also four electrolytics in...
  18. noveltone

Disaster in the making...

obsinc is good stuff for Sansuis
  19. noveltone

Disaster in the making...

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to add that I got an obscure turntable manual in perfect condition from Rick today. I'm ever so grateful he had it and psyched that it arrived in amazing shape. It had a brief description of the actual process I was hoping to kludge. Nice. Also got a...
  20. noveltone

Sansui Au919 Parts

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Would not want to replace a good unobtainable part. Now do you know if they are doing themal compensation? Collin
  21. noveltone

Sansui Au919 Parts

These multi-junction diodes are mysterious to me. It seems as though they're used for temperature compensation in most amps yet in the 919 they're not attached to heatsinks directly. In fact I don't think any diodes are attached to the heatsinks. They're ubiquitous in this amp and in others of...
  22. noveltone

Sansui Au919 Parts

So, does the bias persistently end up down at 10mV, or does it permanently respond to adjustment? Was thinking about doing the diode replacement too.
  23. noveltone

Merry Christmas to All!

Merry Christmas to all at AK!
  24. noveltone

AC polarity help. Can't get a DMM reading?

Could it be a meter fuse that's blown?
  25. noveltone

Rescued a Sansui today

Wow!
Back
Top Bottom