Search results

1. A

Finding source of NOISE in receiver?

I've got a 7-channel AVR that has a volume-independent noise problem: soft, medium, and loud snaps, crackles, and pops on its Front Left channel ONLY. Always present even when input selector set to inactive source (say tuner with actual tuner board pulled or a digital optical/coax port with...
  2. A

eBay Mastercard Discount $10 off $30 purchase

Cool. eBay and Mastercard have a promo going on where a $30 minimum purchase will get you a $10 discount when paid for using a Mastercard and entering the promo code 'MASTERCARD'. As always, read the fine print (shipping charges are excluded towards the $30 minimum for example), but the best...
  3. A

ATI 2505 Power Amp

For you lucky New Yorkers, there's an ATI 2505 5-channel power amp on the bay (search "AT2505") asking $350 with offers considered, local pickup in Troy. That's definitely worth looking into as these units are indestructible. Caution: weight listed at over 100lbs (I'm guessing it's a bit under...
  4. A

Denon PMA700V Vintage Amp - Nashville TN CL

Not affiliated. https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/6756903079.html
  5. A

Fix loose phase plugs?

I've got a couple drivers with loose aluminum phase plugs due to rough handling in shipping over the years. I'm concerned that these plugs will vibrate at certain frequencies thereby compromising the speakers' output. Would it be OK just to dump a bit of glue into the hole to the rear of where...
  6. A

Wow! Magnet, voice coil, phase plug ripped out...

Monitor Audio Gold Reference Centre limped in today via USPS for some outrageous shipping price (my cost was limited). The speaker, over 25lbs, was decently packed in multiple layers of cardboard, each tightly shrink-wrapped around the speaker and inner layers, the whole works which was then...
  7. A

Monoprice 20% Off (most) Everything - Monday 8/27/2018 Code: YAY20

Promo Code: YAY20 (Unaffiliated, posted as service to AK members only)
  8. A

15% off everything* on the bay - 8/8/18 ONLY*

Max savings $100 on items, excluding shipping (so make seller give you free shipping). That works out to 15% off everything with a sales price of $25 to $666.67. Good until 10PM PDT Wed or 1AM EDT Thurs. Promo Code is PRONTO15. Have at it! Remember, this is good for multiple items from multiple...
  9. A

FYI: Some nice Monitor Audio Silver 'i' Series Speakers

Some pristine and rare Monitor Audio Silver 8i speakers from the late 1990s/early 2000s (made in England) are up on the bay. These full towers are 37" tall in rose mahogany with three identical 5-1/2" drivers and 1" gold dome tweeter. Two of the drivers are crossed-over to handle the lows in...
  10. A

IRIS CD/DVD storage boxes on sale

IRIS has their CD/DVD storage boxes on sale. Promo code 'JULY4' gets 25% off regular pricing through 7/5/201 (on everything actually so check out their regular storage boxes as well). No help on shipping cost, alas. Nice units that are sturdy, easily accessible from either side, and relatively...
  11. A

Monoprice 20% Off Everything - Starts Tuesday 5/28/18 Midnight PDT

Great place for network, computer, personal, and audio accessories such as cables, connectors, switches, etc. Also ATI-built SS power amps from 2 to 7 channels, speaker stands, and much more. (not affiliated with Monoprice or any of its suppliers)
  12. A

(ATI) Monolith Stereo Amp 20% off at Monoprice

Normally listing at $999, going for $799 today with promo code MAY22 on Monoprice site. Check out specifics there. Big and heavy iron.
  13. A

Free Google Mini on the 'Bay

FYI, for the next week (until May 20, 2018) eBay has a promotion where you get a brand new Google Mini (retail $49) for free direct from Google when you buy $150 or more in other eBay item(s). Check eBay for details (promo code is PFREEMINI).
  14. A

DBT - inrush choking receiver startup

I've been working on some B&K Components, Ltd. units (multi-zone receivers using chip amps). B&K units' inrush (house lights noticeably dim during normal power up) brightly lights the bulb, but then it never really proceeds to grow dim as you'd expect for a healthy unit and, worse, the UUT...
  15. A

How (not) to Buy Gear (or not)...

OK, so a lot of used gear, especially bargain basement stuff, is usually sold AS IS with little recourse for the buyer to return it if there's a problem with it down the road. So potential buyers, when inspecting a unit prior to purchase, could reasonably want to "kick the tires" to check on its...
  16. A

Help ID this rack?

Does anyone have any knowledge, or ideas, or impressions about this audio rack/shelving unit currently for sale in my area? Dimensions are: 24"W x 21"D x 58-1/2"H. I've asked the seller to check for nameplate, labels, stickers, etc. Nothing so far I think the bottom and top composite shelves...
  17. A

Monoprice/ATI Stereo Amp 30% off with free shipping

Monoprice-branded ATI 200WPC stereo amp ("Monolith") is 30% off for "Green Monday." Shipping free as well. Nice stuff. (no affiliation or financial interest in either Monoprice or ATI)
  18. A

Tilting at windmills...?

I'm looking at a B&K Reference 7250 Series ii power amp for a friend. It's a 2000-2002 vintage 5 MOSFET output pairs/channel monster with the same basic circuitry used in most B&K Components Ltd. amps from the 1990s to when they went belly-up in the late aughts/early teens. The amp's channel...
  19. A

Help! What is causing speaker distortion?

My new (open box) pair of 3-way in-ceiling speakers (Monitor Audio C380-LCR - info here) came this morning (Sat) double-boxed and in perfect (looking) condition. I unpacked them and wired them up to my receiver (actually simply unplugged my floorstanders and moved the speaker cables to the...
  20. A

Back Boxes for In-Wall Speakers?

Some in-wall speakers come with an integrated sealed enclosure (back box). Others are just a baffle with drivers and a crossover mounted on it. For the latter, does it make sense to build a back box in the wall cavity before mounting the in-wall unit? I've heard everything from "Yes, absolutely...
  21. A

HELP! Which outboard amp?

Hi Gents, I'm trying to decide between two outboard amps to drive my new, lower impedance speakers. I want to go the receiver/outboard amp route for several reasons: 1. Speakers are lower impedance and less efficient than previous ones. More power required from receiver's amp (=more heat)...
  22. A

Receiver Protection Circuits

Someone here recommended looking at the service manual for the Pioneer SX-750 (available for free online) to understand how protection circuits work. The manual has a thorough description (with schematics) of just how its protection mechanism functions to detect output shorts, DC offsets...
  23. A

Yet another newbie...

Hi all, Nice site. Incredible amount of know-how here and I aim to snag a tiny bit of it. Hopefully I can pay for it somehow...
Back
Top Bottom