Search results

1. mbose

Eico HF-20 Cleanup: Appreciate feedback on a couple questions

Hah, you caught me! I skated over my "contribution" in the original post. I debated asking for opinions about the approach to new caps right away but thought it would make the initial questions too confusing. Other than the caps that replaced the can, and the one carbon comp resistor I replaced...
  2. mbose

Thank you for bringing this up. it's probably always worth mentioning. My workbench power supply chain is an isolation transformer, variac, and then when needed, a DBT. I was able to pickup a very clean copy of the original manual and the addenda that Eico published.
  3. mbose

No problem, @unga-unga, interesting stuff! I'm curious what you think of my approach to mounting the replacement capacitors since you have a lot of tube experience?
  4. mbose

Anyone Here Shoot M4/3?

Hi, I started shooting 4/3 with the Olympus E1. Got the E-P1 M4/3 as soon as it came out and have been shooting the format ever since. Had an early Panasonic and was impressed, but stayed with the Olympus line mostly because I was able to purchase very good condition used cameras. Currently have...
  5. mbose

Another question in this thread about the way I have mounted the under-chassis caps to bypass the cans. In the past I have just fit them in any way possible, but it has always bothered me, especially in an amp that already had a lot going on. (They never look great and I have seen some online...
  6. mbose

@unga-unga Yes, I am also one of those guitar amp and pedal guys who had an opportunity to buy trays and trays of NOS carbon comp resistors and NOS high voltage caps a few years ago. I was and still am just learning, and picked up the NOS parts because they were there and like you said, lots of...
  7. mbose

That makes sense, @gadget73. Thank you and @Mr Boochie for responses.
  8. mbose

Thanks to everyone for the replies. A further question for @Mr Boochie and @TriodeLuvr (and others if interested). There are a few threads here on AK that convert the HF-20 to a "monoblock" by either removing V2 completely, or insulating pin six of V2 so that it doesn't make contact. There is...
  9. mbose

I am working on a couple very messy HF-20s. Serial numbers are far apart, but they "pretty much" follow the build instructions except for some changes that seem very old, and some that probably were done shortly before I got these. I have been using the build instructions (including addendum) to...
  10. mbose

What was the first job you worked as?

Ok, before I describe the job, it's important to set the stage of how different the world was "way back then." When I was 10, we used to ride our bikes about two miles from our elementary school to the Farmer's Market and the La Brea Tar Pits in a very busy section of Los Angeles. My parents...
  11. mbose

Vintage film cameras

Would be interested in seeing the blog! I am looking for time to do test photos with about 30 popular primes. Intention is to create a blog that compares the wide-open and two stops closed performance of the lenses with the same subject matter.
  12. mbose

Howdy from Texas

Welcome! I'm in Houston.
  13. mbose

Vintage film cameras

Came across a Petri Color 35 recently at a local sale, and it is a cool little camera that sells for very little. It has a very interesting scale focusing mechanism in the viewfinder. I read that Petri designed it to compete with the Rollei 35. I don't know if that is true, it does seem to try...
  14. mbose

Vintage film cameras

Love the Super D and the Rollei. Don't they enjoy a day out once in a while?
  15. mbose

Vintage film cameras

@McLoving, that is very funny! Thieves are why I used clearly marked diaper bags instead of Domke or Billingham. (Wound up using my Billingham as a briefcase for work.)
  16. mbose

Bias Questions ASUSA A-4 EL34 PP Amplifier

@darth_kir thank you so much! If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know. I just noticed you are a new member. Welcome! Hope you find AK to be a real treasure.
  17. mbose

@darth_kir, I appreciate any information, but a scan would be fantastic. Even phone photos of the manual would be a tremendous help! I have searched extensively and feel pretty certain there is not a copy of the manual on the web.
  18. mbose

@Mr Boochie , thanks for the tip, I'll check it. Don't I know it about guitar tubes Someone gave me a box full of 6V6 years ago and fortunately I don't play well enough to need anything louder than a Champ!
  19. mbose

Thank you to everyone in this thread for the help! The plate voltage is 485.6 (8 to pin 3). Bias before: (8 to ground) 13.609, 14.307, 14.268, 13.620, 6-7 watts! No idea why previous owner had it so low. Bias now: 36 mA on all four tubes, about 17.5 watts, and what I think is about 70% of...
  20. mbose

Thank you @zackthedog and @gadget73. I am going to connect 1 and 8. Already measured across the 10 ohm and got reasonable results. Since I don't have documentation for the amp, I am just going with safe EL34 settings from datasheet. @gadget73, first time encountering UL. My bad, just read the...
  21. mbose

@cademan thank you for the input. Would love a schematic, but lots of searching has not turned one up so far. The only info I have comes from a VV review (https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Vacuum-Tube-Valley/Vacuum-Tube-Valley-Issue-11.pdf ) page 22, which states it was...
  22. mbose

I am having some trouble figuring out where to attach a meter to this amp to check bias. I recently purchased this kit-built amp from about 1999 and have not been able to find a schematic for it. (tried hard!) It is solid state rectification with a quad of 5814a in front of EL34s. I attached a...
  23. mbose

Getting my first vintage receiver (Marantz 22XX) Help and input needed...

Hi @Volatyle and welcome! This is a long post, but I've been following your discussion here and on DIY, so consider this a response to both threads You will find a lot more appreciation for vintage gear here on AK, but the questions being asked on DIYAudio about new gear are important to...
  24. mbose

Vintage film cameras

Would love to see some pics from that Elmar when you have them. Enjoy!
  25. mbose

Vintage film cameras

Congratulations on great find! All the more difficult with most good cameras going to shop goodwill.com!
Back
Top Bottom